Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MINUTEMEN : Racism runs through anti-immigration rhetoric :

Racism runs through anti-immigration rhetoric :
    NCT COMMENTARY

Racism runs through anti-immigration rhetoric

By: ERIC PARISH - Commentary:

John Lynn ("Supporting rule of law isn't bigoted," Community Forum, Nov. 20) claims to be "deeply offended" that he has been called a bigot because of his stand against illegal immigration. Now Dan Noval (Dec. 3) writes that Minutemen are patriots, not racists.

Methinks they protest too much. I have been reading the letters to the editor in this paper. I read the hateful venom disguised as comments on the NCT Web page. I have visited the anti-immigrant Web sites. I have been to Minuteman demonstrations. I have talked to Tina Jillings, who ran for the Vista council and has had her car vandalized. I have listened closely to the Roger Hedgcocks and the Jim Gilchrists. No doubt about it, we are seeing subtle (or not-so-subtle) racism.

I have seen anti-Mexican bias all my life. In fact, Escondido was rather famous way back when for its "hate the Mexicans" mentality. I have never seen it as bad as now, however. It seems that some people really don't like the whole "melting pot" idea once it becomes a reality. Or is it just demagoguery gone wild by our gutless politicians (take a bow Wyland and Bilbray)? They understand (like Hitler did) that nothing is more popular than laying the blame for everything that goes wrong on the weakest and least powerful, who are usually the last people actually responsible for the problems.

Everyone seems to forget that illegal immigrants arrive here to work. They do not arrive to immediately pop out babies and get on welfare. They don't camp out in the Tri-City emergency room to get their hangnails treated. They don't come here to drive around drunk and look for kids to run over or cops to shoot. In fact, they are mostly hardworking men and boys. They cut up our pigs, chickens and other dead animals. They pick those strawberries that we are famous for. They pour concrete and frame our homes. They live in cardboard hovels in canyons next to million-dollar houses.

But they don't have green cards. And there is no way we can ever deport the millions here without papers -- unless we set up the biggest mass arrest system the world has ever seen. So all this hateful talk is just that -- talk. It is being used by some of our "leaders" to get people to forget our real problems and start frothing at the mouth about these new dangerous enemies to our

sovereignty -- the illegal alien. And can someone explain to me what an "anchor baby" is? Oh, you mean a United States citizen?

So I am not calling John Lynn or Dan Noval racists. But people know you by the people you associate with. And North County has suddenly become full of hateful bigots. This hate is arrogantly spiteful and petty. Rousting migrants from their canyon shacks? What bravery. And those who look Hispanic are receiving very negative signals from those of us without the guts to denounce this hate for what it is -- bigotry.

-- Eric Parish lives in Vista.

COMMENTS ON THIS STORY :

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12 ... ogcomments

Eric you are so wrong. wrote on December 05, 2006 10:32 PM:"I was born and raised in Escondido and counted many people of Mexican descent among my friends. I went to school with them, spent the night at their homes and race wasn't something that ever crossed my mind. Those people are NOT the same as ILLEGAL immigrants. They spoke English, they didn't try to shove their culture militantly down anyones throat. They were first and foremost AMERICANS. They assimulated into American culture, yet remembered their roots. There were no gangs in Escondido then, we didn't even have to lock our doors. Believe me 56 years later this is a different element. A criminal element that cannot be allowed to fester in our society. It is not racism, for many of Mexican descent share our feelings and values."

Pirate
    wrote on December 06, 2006 12:11 AM:"You are right. Just read the hateful blogs that followed the original commentary. The blog above proves the point. Don't blame the gangs on people from Mexico. There are Armenian gangs, Russian gangs, skinheads (white gangs), as well as latino and black gangs. I also note that the minute man have not run for the Canadian border, where the extra 9/11 terrorist entered the United States."

I submitted a post but it didn't show up. Good article!
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Actually, we have many chapters in states bordering Canada. Just check out the Minuteman website. We just added two new chapters here in Colorado. (four, so far) Haven't met any racists, yet. We come from all walks of life but have one thing in common: respect for the law.

I always wonder what kind of border security illegal immigrants would expect if amnesty were granted?

I am on a ship somewhere between California and Hawaii.

I have very little bandwidth so I am depending on you all to submit some comments on this article to the NCT.

Thanks/ Skip

There was a news report the other day about the Home inSecurity agency having records on 40 million Americans who fly often. The files supposedly contain lots of personal info so they can rate our risk to airline safety. If they can do this they can deport the illegals over a period of time. But that's not really the point. Deporting them enmass is only suggested by the obl as a propaganda ploy. If we want to get rid of them we punish employers and cut off the free goodies.

Banned
    It usually takes the awhile to post comments because they have to screen them first. I've left mine, as well, and look forward to Juan's upcoming apoplexy!

Yeah mine finally got posted. Alot of well written thoughts up there now.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

Comments On This Story

Eric you are so wrong. wrote on December 05, 2006 10:32 PM:"I was born and raised in Escondido and counted many people of Mexican descent among my friends. I went to school with them, spent the night at their homes and race wasn't something that ever crossed my mind. Those people are NOT the same as ILLEGAL immigrants. They spoke English, they didn't try to shove their culture militantly down anyones throat. They were first and foremost AMERICANS. They assimulated into American culture, yet remembered their roots. There were no gangs in Escondido then, we didn't even have to lock our doors. Believe me 56 years later this is a different element. A criminal element that cannot be allowed to fester in our society. It is not racism, for many of Mexican descent share our feelings and values."

Pirate
    wrote on December 06, 2006 12:11 AM:"You are right. Just read the hateful blogs that followed the original commentary. The blog above proves the point. Don't blame the gangs on people from Mexico. There are Armenian gangs, Russian gangs, skinheads (white gangs), as well as latino and black gangs. I also note that the minute man have not run for the Canadian border, where the extra 9/11 terrorist entered the United States."

anotherview wrote on December 06, 2006 1:11 AM:"Let the labels fly, for this action signifies lack of a sound argument. Mr. Parish and his ilk instead argue by accusation, assertion, and sarcasm. Of course, some racists and bigots may have aligned themselves with the national effort to remove the illegal aliens. This possibility, however, neither invalidates the rights of others nor their position. All Americans enjoy a constitutional right to speak and act in favor of enforcing immigration law to stop foreign nationals from illegally immigrating here. Mr. Parish ignores the horde of criminal illegal aliens imprisoned across America, pushing a great burden on state and federal budgets. America already has enough criminals. By one account, the presence of illegal aliens in America yearly costs a net $50 billion. This money could go to meet the needs of Americans. The U. S. Congress can provide a rational solution to the problem of removing the illegal aliens by passing a law, with teeth, prohibiting employers from hiring illegal aliens, and by saying no to amnesty for illegal aliens. Without the prospect of either a job or an amnesty, the illegal aliens now here would tend to self-deport (at their own expense), and the foreign nationals would tend to come here. In turn, the host of negative social, economic, and political impacts fostered by the presence of illegal aliens would surely moderate. America would then prosper all the more. The cost of goods and services may rise as a result of removing the illegal aliens, but I believe most Americans would gladly pay more if doing so meant the end of illegal immigration. In short, America can get along fine without illegal aliens."

Mary wrote on December 06, 2006 4:44 AM:"Eric and Pirate don't get it. Eric says everyone seems to forget that Illegal Immigrants arrive here to work. NO, that is the whole point we're trying to make here!! They are ILLEGAL immigrants. And they aren't all Mexicans!!! Minutemen don't go to the Canadian border because there aren't millions of illegal immigrants streaming across. Hello! The point is if you let Illegal Immigrants come across anytime they want, then, first: by definition they are no longer ILLEGAL; second, it means anyone from ANY nation can come across the border; third, it means the US has to support all those who can't get jobs. Since they are no longer "illegal", they don't need to have jobs, because now the border is open. What's to stop another nation from rounding up or offering all their poor people a trip via plane to Tijuana or even to a Canadian airport, drop them off, and say go across to the border to the US where you can get a job since the US has an open border now. Every sovereign nation in the world has a Immigration and Border Control policy. What if these Illegal Immigrants were all engineers, scientists, journalists, i.e., professionals, which if we no longer bar the entry of Illegal Immigrants, will happen. Then we don't need the H-1B policy anymore or any type of immigration policy; engineers and scientists from India, Russia, etc. AND criminals and terrorists from any nation will be free to come across "looking for work". Based on what Eric wants, we only let in poor Mexican Illegal Immigrants who want to do our grunt work, BUT we don't let in other nationalities who may be educated and take our jobs. Do we have a interview station at the border to determine this? Wow Eric, that seems really, really, racist to me!"

Gary in Murrieta wrote on December 06, 2006 5:47 AM:"While the vast majority of illegal aliens are decent people who work hard and try to make a better life for themselves and their families, it is also a fact that a disproportionately high percentage of illegal aliens are criminals and sexual predators. That is part of the dark side of illegal immigration. When we allow the “good” illegal aliens into America, we get the bad ones along with them. The question is, how much “bad” is acceptable and at what cost to us, literally and philosophically? An example of a rapidly growing crime with high illegal alien participation, causing many months if not years of misery for the recipient, is something FSM has reported on before, and it is identity theft. See the GOA’s report IDENTITY FRAUD – Prevalance and Links to Illegal Alien Activity and Identity Theft is a Serious Immigration Issue. Additionally, there are a plethora of other criminal activities with a high illegal alien participation, including crimes involving methamphetamine, cocaine, prostitution, home invasion, auto insurance fraud, life insurance fraud, food stamp fraud, mortgage fraud, auto theft, drug trafficking, and prostitution, and of coursecounterfeiting documents."

Skip wrote on December 06, 2006 5:50 AM:"Rule # 1 : When you have no argument Scream Racism. Rule # 2 When you really have no argument Scream Rule #1 over and over."

Taxpayer wrote on December 06, 2006 5:57 AM:"Gee Eric, it is nice to know there is at least one holier than though type still around! Frankly, I won't even attempt to justify my beliefs to a person like you, who is after all so much better then the rest of us. Some facts, the emergency rooms aren't filled anymore because the hospitals screen people and if it isn't an emergency the person is sent to one of the community clinics paid for in part by our tax dollars. Fact, while they do not pay taxes most of their money is sent back to Mexico, that is why they live in canyons or 12 to an apartment instead of having a decent place to live. Money lost to our local businesses as well as our government. Fact, there are many, many legal residents that would take the jobs framning houses or pouring concrete if they were given half a chance but the companies know they can get the illegals to work for many dollars less per hour, which is illegal in itself. Fact, just last month there was a case of an illegal driving while drunk going to Ramona in a company truck without a drivers license who killed a young woman and then fled the scene. Reportedly not his first DUI. Bottom line Eric since you are so much better then the rest of us RACIST, what are your answers to these issues? Or is your answer, like the politicans, let just ignore it and it will go away?"

Ingrid wrote on December 06, 2006 6:00 AM:"These problems have nothing to do with Mexicans. This is all about ILLEGAL ALIENS from foreign countries. Eric you really do need to get your facts straight. These people are foreigners who do not belong here, and they are straining our city infrastructure."

Hal wrote on December 06, 2006 6:41 AM:"And this commentary comes from a guy that writes letters to the editor all the time that has nothing good to say about the U.S. He, to me is all blame the U.S for his and the worlds problems. I guess he doesn't mind law breakers at all then. "

Sippy wrote on December 06, 2006 6:47 AM:"Eric, Maybe you should talk to the hospital staff in the border towns. Many illegal women who are only days to 1 week from birth just "happen" to walk in there to give birth to their anchor baby. Many people do want to come here and work, but the majority do not. The majority of the illegal aliens here also do not want to be Americans, nor do they want to assimilate into our culture. You are also missing the point that America does not have a problem with LEGAL immigration. We are a country of laws, and the laws need to be enforced. Just because a group of people want a better life does not give them justification for breaking the law. Illegal is Illegal is Illegal. American citizens wanting the law enforced is in no way shape or form racism. This the only card these organizations can play. How do you explain La Raza? MECHA? La Voz de Aztlan? These groups are very much alive and they've made it no secret they are going to take back the SW that we "stole" from them. Maybe if they did their history and researched the Treaty of Guadalupe, and the Gadsen purchase, they would find we didn't steal anything. We paid for this land. One last question: Why can't mexicans, central americans, etc. go back and turn their own countries around? It is not the reponsibility of the US to take in the world's poor. Build the fence."

David wrote on December 06, 2006 7:34 AM:"An anchor baby is a term used to describe a child born on U.S. soil to a mother who is illegally in the United States. The term anchor refers to the thought that due to the child's immediate U.S. citizenship the mother is automatically authorized to reside in the United States regardless of her legal status. Therefore the baby is the mother's anchor into the United States. Although it is not referred to as such you could also refer to the United States citizens men who marry illegal immigrants with the sole intent of providing the illegal immigrant with "legal" excuse to stay in the in the United States as "Anchor Mates." "

David wrote on December 06, 2006 7:41 AM:"As far as the hate goes. Get used to it. Blacks hate Browns and Whites. Browns hate Blacks and Whites. Whites hate Browns and Blacks. No one knows what to do with the Asians and the Pacific Islanders nor do they know what to do with the others. We as a country and a world will continue to complain about each other, call each other names, and blame each other for our woes. Inter cultural differences will never adapt to each other because we all believe that ours is better than yours. It is the nature of the human race and we are all guilty of it. Even Mr. Parish. So get used to it. "

dennis wrote on December 06, 2006 8:14 AM:"That lefty Eric is at it again espousing his left wing nutso rhetoric as if it were the truth,the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. The real truth is that he and his ilk are ones to drop the 'race card' on the table rather handily whenever something doesn't suit them. What crock. We who insist that our country guard it's borders and control who comes here are neither racists nor any other word you choose to lash out at us with. We simply see the situation as out of hand and in need of correction. The fact that we border that third world cesspool Mexico accounts for the fact that its'citizens want to get out of there and find a better life here. I can't blame them for that and accept the fact that they wish to find work here. There is a way to do it LEGALLY. Anyone who breaks the law deserves no respect or sympathy and will get none from me. I'd wager that if some illegals showed up at Eric's home one day, broke in and made themselves at home, stayed there eating his food, drinking his drinks, and sleeping in his bed not to mention using his HMO, Eric would be on the phone dialing 911 faster than the average bear. OR would he just accept them and feed them, etc? You quess. There is a groundswell long in coming that demands appropriate action on the current out of control immigration situation. Our gutless politicians must be forced to deal w it in an appropraite manner. So, Eric, go wave your American flag down in Mexico and demand your rights as an immigrant and see how far that gets you. Probably butt whipped."

Miss CJ wrote on December 06, 2006 8:32 AM:"I have lived in border states for the last 10 years of my life. It's no "melting pot". 20-35 million people coming here illegally is no accident, and yes many come here to purposely abuse our services. The rise of disapproval you are seeing is directly related to the "May Day" May 1st protest where these people marched down our streets and didn't ask, but DEMANDED the American people to give them what they wanted. It's an absolute atrocity and every American citizen regardless of color has a right to be offended."

May I suggest wrote on December 06, 2006 10:04 AM:"that many in our media and schools and government are very very racist. How so you may ask? Take the NCT when was the last time you saw in reference to an Asian as being referred to a YELLOW male or a Hispanic as a BROWN male or how about an Native American as a RED male. Yet, we have media and agencies that feel prefectly comfortable in using colors to indiate the WHITE and BLACK males, if this isn't racism I don't know what is? "

Press 1 for English, Press 2 for Deportation wrote on December 06, 2006 10:04 AM:"One question for Eric: Are you willing to reimburse the emergency rooms for their costs of treating illegals, reimburse our state government for the costs of educational benefits for illegals, and can the illegals who don't have a place to live that you think it suitable for them live with you? My guess is that once YOU have to pay for these things rather than expecting my tax dollars to do it for you, you won't be such a liberal."

Show Methe MONEY wrote on December 06, 2006 10:39 AM:"Eric, it isn't about racism. It is about money. Illegals don't pay taxes, yet expect their children to receive a free education. Illegals have no health insurance, yet receive free medical care when our own citizens in need of emergency health services face bankruptcy, ruined credit and collection agencies. The reason they come to the US for a "better life" is BECAUSE they earn cash and don't have to pay for the services they use. And that illegal who is pouring concrete, framing your home or butchering meat are taking jobs that used to be held by tax paying middle class Americans. They are not the jobs that Americans don't want, they are jobs that used to pay a decent living wage and provided health insurance to growing families. But now those jobs are being performed by illegals who enable the businesses hiring them to save millions in taxes and health care premiums to reward their shareholders and CEO's. Charity begins at home, Eric. While you might think your tax dollars are being well spent on providing services to illegals, many of us want to take care of our own citizen's needs first. I gather you haven't had illegals camp on your property and been financially responsible for cleaning up the human and biological waste left behind. Squatters of any race are tresspassing on private property and should be removed. What is hateful about that?"

Skip wrote on December 06, 2006 10:57 AM:"I was thinking of how to defend my opinions against racism, but then I realized that the author hit the nail right on the head. Of course people are angry at Mexicans. Not Mexican Americans, or Hispanics, or Brown People. But Mexican Citizens from a foreign country. People are mad that the Mexican government encourages its people to Illegally cross our borders and send money back to Mexico. The Mexican government assist its people illegally crossing our borders buy printing how-to books, and distributing maps. American Citizens should be up in arms when the government of Mexico goes to the United Nations to complain about our proposed Border Fence to protect our border and protect our sovereignty. Americans should be mad when Mexico maintains foreign consulates in our country to teach its citizens on how to take full advantage of our social programs. And finally Americans should be mad to see all of the progress we have made in the United States to be undone as third world immigrants flood our borders."

Jamie wrote on December 06, 2006 10:57 AM:"It is easy for us to dismiss Eric's comment that we are racist, but if we slow down a minute and think about it, at least for me, there is absolutly an element of racism in our fight to resolve the illegal immigration issues. I don't consider myself to be racist, but I am angered by the fact that English has become a second language, I am angered by the cost of caring for people who have more children than they can care for, I am angered by the gang problems and the slums that have sprouted all around this county. Unfortunatly, a great deal of these things are caused by the Mexicans. The truth is I don't know who is legal and who is not. It is easy to say this is all about illegal, what part of illegal don't you understand? But how do you know the Mexican lady with 4 kids and the stack of food stamps is illegal? How do you know how many of the Mexicans in the ER are illegal and how many have health insurance? How many of the 16 yr. old gang bangers are legal?Yet we judge them all the same. That is racist. We do know that illegal immigration has become an overwhelming financial burden and yes, we need to deal with it, but we need to be careful not to become racist in the process, and that is hard. "

Steve wrote on December 06, 2006 10:58 AM:"Would anyone be complaining about the Mexican immigrants if they were tall, fair-haired people with light skin who spoke English instead of short, dark-haired people with dark skin who speak Spanish? All of the ignorant, hateful comments that I read and hear are at best xenophobic and at worst racist. Nobody really cares that these people are here illegally. All that anybody really cares about is that they are different from us. These people are here because of the actions of our federal government. NAFTA caused the loss of twenty million Mexican farm jobs while the promised manufacturing replacement jobs went instead to China and other countries whose labor costs are less than Mexico's. This country's history is replete with the kind of ignorant hatred coming from the vigilante groups and their supporters. In the past it was Irish, German, Scandinavians, African, Jewish, and Chinese immigrants. Now, it's Mexicans. Learn to live them because they are not going away. "

Racist? wrote on December 06, 2006 11:06 AM:"These people are breaking the law they are criminals...thats what we call people that break the law here in America. It would be like calling a bank roober a poor misunderstood soul just trying to get ahead. HAH!"

Syl
    wrote on December 06, 2006 11:06 AM:"Of course we hate Mexicans. After the Illegal Alien Day of may 1, 2006 it is a no brainer. Now with that being said , everyone knows that American Citizens come in all Colors and Races. Americans should be pissed off when Foreigners from foreign countries illegally cross into our country, break our laws, and then demand rights. Eric is this the "Hate the Mexicans" mentality, that you are talking about."

Amanda wrote on December 06, 2006 11:47 AM:"I went to Macy's yesterday and they had a TV outside of the dressing room. While I was trying on clothes and waiting for a clerk there was this segment (maybe a CD) of anti- immigration some debate show. It was really loud and radical!!! Most people that passed by felt very uncomfortable as I did regardless of their race. Why would a department store play these shows? Would they play pornography or Jerry Springer shows too? What is the message they are trying to send to shoopers? "

Ron wrote on December 06, 2006 11:50 AM:"Gee Eric, I didn't know it was racist to ask people to obey the law? And what is further frustrating is people like you, Tina Jillings, and Enrique Morones who say that if we do try to enforce the laws, then we are acting like racists because most illegals in Southern California just happen to be Mexicans. Then, we get the compassion argument, and then we get the "who will do the work?" argument. These laws aren't pointed against any particular group or race, it is pointed at law-breakers. How is that racist? I'll grant you, the debate has been heated, on both sides. And both sides have said very foolish things, including President Bush calling the Minutemen, "Vigilantes." What the Minutemen do is back up offical law enforce with citizen enforcement. It is a part of our legal system. Have you ever hear of "Citizen's arrest?" The problem is illegal aliens has now become more of a fairness issue, in my thinking. You cite the "Raiding of shacks in the canyons", as an example. We have homeless men living along side the San Luis Rey bike path who are routinely "rousted", and kicked out, with no other place to go. American citizens are not allowed to live in canyons, build shacks on public or private property, and destroy the local environment. But... because these people are a particular racial group, you seem to think it's racist to enforce the law. You see, on the one hand, you can not argue for the rule of law, if it only pertains to particular people's. Laws pertain to ALL people, or they need to be repealed. When the laws are enforced, and the "victims" happen to be Mexican, then it's racist, and there's always a racist angle or motive to the enforcement. I would submit to you, it is not desireable for anyone to live in a canyon, live in a cardboard box, or live on a piece of property if they don't have the right to be there, public or private. You can't have it both ways. I've said this from the beginning of this debate. Either, we are a nation ruled by law, or we are a nation of selectively enforced laws. Just let me know which laws you intend to enforce. That way, I too, can be treated equally under the law. But if I'm a white farmer worker living in a shack on public property, and I get kicked out, while my Mexican neighbor is left alone, because of fear of being called a racist, how does that help me?"

Juan wrote on December 06, 2006 12:45 PM:"The US stole California from Mexico so we are takign it back. English will be the second language soon, so deal with it. We will use the 14th Amendment to bring in our extended families, and all of us will vote!"

Skip wrote on December 06, 2006 12:53 PM:"I was thinking of how to defend my opinions against racism, but then I realized that the author hit the nail right on the head. Of course people are angry at Mexicans. Not Mexican Americans, or Hispanics, or Brown People, but Mexican Citizens from a foreign country. People are mad that the Mexican government encourages its people to Illegally cross our borders and send money back to Mexico. The Mexican government assists its people illegally crossing our borders by printing how-to books, and distributing maps. American Citizens should be up in arms when the government of Mexico goes to the United Nations to complain about our proposed Border Fence to protect our border and protect our sovereignty. Americans should be mad when Mexico maintains foreign consulates in our country to teach its citizens on how to take full advantage of our social programs. And finally Americans should be mad to see all of the progress we have made in the United States to be undone as third world immigrants flood our borders."

I would advise all of you wrote on December 06, 2006 1:26 PM:"to write your Lawmakers now! They are already publishing the idea that any illegal in this country after January 1 will be granted amnesty, which means with the open borders we have now, millions and millions are going to be stroming into the USA daily. "

john wrote on December 06, 2006 2:30 PM:"The words "hate" and "racist" are the two most abused words in the English language and Mr. Parish has shown his mastery of this abuse in one article(Community Forum 12/6). Mr. Parish confuses outrage over the lack of border security with hate and the wish to do something about it with racism. America is my home and it is a place that I would give my life to protect. Would Mr. Parish mind if I were to sneak into his home and live in his family room? Maybe Mr. Parish does not see America as his home? Or maybe Mr. Parish lives in a commune where he freely shares the fruits of other's labor with himself. America's borders are the equivalent to the front door of my house. I'll fight anyone who tries to gain entry without my blessing and I'll throw out anyone who has entered without it. If that's racism then I stand guilty as charged."

Syl wrote on December 06, 2006 2:53 PM:"My favorite quote of all time is from the Illegal Alien Mother, of ten anchor babies, who lives is in Los Angeles, and said; "Medi_Cal!" Medical, Thank Goodness for Medical, We don't have that in our country. And WIC, and Welfare, and Headstart Lunch and breakfast programs, free education ( even though her teenage daughters never learned to speak English) and so many more. These programs are provided courtesy of the California taxpayers. "

El Guero wrote on December 06, 2006 2:54 PM:"So it's that simple: anyone who objects to illegal immigration is racist. I'm sure Eric and fellow traveler Steve would admit that illegal immigration is a problem. But how would they define the problem? A lack of opportunity for Mexicans to legally migrate to the United States? There are 12-20 million illegal immigrants already here (and having illegal immigrant-U.S. citizen children) in addition to millions more being admitted legally every year. Fifty-six percent of the illegals are from Mexico. Do Eric and Steve deny that there are social, economic, political, and environmental consequences of so many people moving here legally or illegally? It seems their answer is yes. So how else to characterize all the furor other than to dismiss it as racism?"

Come on!! wrote on December 06, 2006 3:06 PM:"Which is it? You have everybody confused! The selection of Rep. Silvestre Reyes (D-Texas) to head the Intelligence Committee may be an indication that Democrats will press the Bush administration to crack down on employers who hire illegal immigrants. "

Pat wrote on December 06, 2006 3:19 PM:"Juan, You keep believing that if it makes you feel better, but anyone that can read knows you're wrong. The 14th Amendment will soon be re-interpreted logically and the citizenships granted under it's mis-interpretation will be REVOKED. You keep spouting that 'Reconquista' stuff and that day may come sooner than I have hoped. Let me educate you to the INTENT of the 14th Amendment, as stated by it's AUTHOR in 1866. Senator Jacob Howard, co-author of the citizenship clause of the 14th Amendment, stated in 1866, "Every Person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States. This will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons." The Fourteenth Amendment states,"(A) Persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States." However a proviso limits foreigners who have babies in America. It couldn't be clearer, children of foreigners, aliens or diplomats, who are subject to the jurisdiction of their home country, are ineligible for citizenship. At the time the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified we didn't have immigration laws. One hundred and thirty eight years later we are paying for the misinterpretation of it. As far as Mr. Parrish's commentary goes, the race card has lost it's spots. If there were 35 million blonde, blue-eyed Swedes stealing my jobs and taxes I'd be just as mad, and just as adamant. 1. Build the fence, stop the flow. 2. Enforce current immigration law. 3. Enforce employer sanctions. 4. Social services for citizens and LEGAL immigrants ONLY. 5. Deport criminal aliens. 6. End birthright citizenship. There is NOTHING in that list that is not ALREADY part of the LAW. Following the rule of law is the ONLY solution we HAVEN'T tried. It's high time we did."

To Eric wrote on December 06, 2006 3:28 PM:"You drop the Race Card, You drop the Hitler card, So what about the Berlin Wall Comparison. I am surprised you forgot that one. And since when are United States Citizens and taxpayers responsible for the impoverished and ignorent people illegally crossing our borders from foreign countries. I am surprised that you also forgot to say that no human is Illegal."

Allen wrote on December 06, 2006 4:04 PM:"Most people have come to the conclusion that ALL lower income Mexicans are illegal. Athough neatly covered in the line, "if you came here legally, welcome", much of this illegal immigration debate HAS become racist. I suggest we take a better look at ourselves, if you are snarling at the "illegal" next to his broken down car on the freeway, you have become a racist, you have judged soley on his race, you have no way of knowing if he is legal or not. "

Robert wrote on December 06, 2006 4:12 PM:"There is nothing like Protestors with foreign flags, and contemptuous commentaries like this one to get United States Citizens Mad and Motivated. We MUST SECURE OUR BORDERS, and SECURE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, before it is too late. The cities surrounding Los Angeles are a model of things to come for the entire United States by the year 2050. If I wanted to live in Mexico then I would just move to Mexico. I do not want our country to turn into Mexico."

alexz wrote on December 06, 2006 4:49 PM:"Mr. Parish wrote: It seems that some people really don't like the whole "melting pot" idea once it becomes a reality. "melting pot" a country, locality, or situation in which a blending of races, peoples, or cultures is taking place. What we are experiencing is not a "melting pot," the sheer numbers involved are nothing less than a takeover. I for one am tired of funding social services for people who are not here legally---services that many Americans are precluded from obtaining."

El Guero wrote on December 06, 2006 5:21 PM:"Bravo to Pat. Hey, Eric and Steve, listen up: 'Following the rule of law is the ONLY solution we HAVEN'T tried. It's high time we did.'"

IamaDem wrote on December 06, 2006 6:04 PM:"There are many good letters today on this horrific problem of the ILLEGAL alien invasion of our Country. I do take exception to the writer who labels people who disagree with him. I am a Liberal Democrat, and I and many others Dems want the border secured, illegal employers fined, slum landlords fined and illegals deported as they are found. Write or call Bush and McCain, tell them we want a border fence funded now. Stop asking the Mexican President what we can do about his illegals. No more anchor babies and no more freebies."

To Eric wrote on December 06, 2006 6:22 PM:"Come on Eric, this is plain and simple. These people have no right to be here. They are illegal in our country. They have broken our laws to get here, and once they get here they send all there money back to the place they ran from. They don't care to assimilate into our country. Who are you fooling?"

Pat
    wrote on December 06, 2006 6:39 PM:"According to the Pew Hispanic Center, "57% of ALL Hispanics in America are foreign-born, and over half of those are here illegally." If you put pencil to paper, .57X.51=.2907 .57X.55=.3135 Suffice it to say that 3 of EVERY 10 Hispanics in America are here illegally. Going further, 2004 USBP data show just over 1 million arrests at our borders. Of that, 44,000 were OTM's, leaving 956,000+ Mexicans. Of the OTM's, 33,000 came from Central and South America, i.e. Hispanic. That leaves 11,000 non-Hispanic arrestees, or 1.1% of the total. Hispanic illegal immigration constitutes 98.9% of the problem. It's not racist to acknowledge the obvious. "

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12 ... 2_5_06.txt

Banned
    I be Pat....

I be Skip , and Gary, and Sandy,.........oh and sometimes Robert
    Occasionally they also print my letters.
    Thanks for all of your help

R/ Skip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast