Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Male Hispanics & Fatal Car Crashs

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index ... s_id=53546

Male Hispanics responsible for disproportionate number of fatal car crashes

By Jared Allen, jallen@nashvillecitypaper.com
    December 06, 2006

As a percentage of Nashville’s population, male Hispanics have been responsible for a greater percentage of fatal traffic accidents this year than any other demographic, police data show.

Now, recognizing they have a very real problem on their hands, leaders of Nashville’s Hispanic community are launching the first-ever coordinated campaign to educate the Middle Tennessee Latino community about the dangers of drunk driving.

“Drinking and driving is a problem within the Latino community as within other groups of the community at large,” Conexión Américas Executive Director Jose Gonzalez wrote in a press release announcing the partnering of Conexion, Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), State Farm Insurance, Metro Police, and Hispanic media to begin the awareness campaign.

But statistics show they may have their work cut out for them.

While the U.S. Census bureau estimates that Hispanics made up approximately 6.3 percent of Nashville’s population in 2004, police say they were responsible for 17 percent of the fatal car wrecks that have occurred so far in 2006.
    Nashville’s approximately 93 percent of people of other races and ethnic groups combined, were responsible for the other 83 percent of this year’s fatal traffic accidents.

As of the end of last week, there have been 79 fatal traffic accidents this year, resulting in the deaths of 89 persons, police said.

Since the summer, Nashville’s Hispanic leaders have weathered a tempest caused by a number of deadly, high- profile accidents police say came at the hands of Latinos, three quarters of whom were allegedly drunk, and some who have been identified as illegal immigrants.

“As a cultural group, Hispanics are responsible for more fatal accidents then they are entitled to... based on their percentage of the population,” said Metro Police Sgt. William Keeter, supervisor of traffic analysis, hit and runs and fatal crash investigations.

From Gustavo Garcia – arrested and charged in June for DUI and the vehicular homicide of a Mt. Juliet couple – to Julio Villasana – indicted last week on charges of DUI and driving head-first into a motorcycle ridden by Gibson Guitar’s Charlie Derrington, killing him – news of the arrests of multiple Hispanics on drunk driving and vehicular homicides has created a firestorm in Nashville.

Not only did the issue become a part of the governor’s race, it prompted Nashville’s top three law enforcement officers to team up and ask the federal government for the authority to begin its own deportation proceedings on illegal aliens being booked into the Nashville jail.

Last week, Hispanic leaders decided enough was enough, and announced that they have teamed up with MADD and the police to begin educating Latinos about drunk driving.

The problem the Hispanic community has run into is a lack of awareness about the hazards of drunk driving, program organizers said.

“There’s a problem with drunk driving in this community,” said Laura Dial, MADD Tennessee’s executive director.
    “We’re not reaching out to a segment of our community, and that’s the Spanish-speaking segment.”

The immigration debate has cast a spotlight on a number of fatal car accidents involving Latinos, Dial said.

“But I could rattle off a list of other crashes that have nothing to do with anyone Hispanic that are just as devastating. And there are a lot more of them,” she said.

At the same time, though, alcohol was a contributing factor in 75 percent of the fatal car crashes caused this year by Hispanics, a far higher percentage than with other groups, police said.

Keeter said the rate of alcohol-caused crashes among whites, blacks, Asians and others is usually about 40 percent.

South Precinct Commander Rick Langford said he welcomed the push by MADD and Conexion to target Hispanics about drinking and driving.

“We’ve had trouble getting into the Hispanic community because of the language barrier,” Langford said.

While MADD has started more sophisticated Spanish-language campaigns in other parts of the country, Tennessee has lagged behind, Dial said, with obvious results.

“All of our programs have been in English, focusing and targeting the English-speaking population. We have not have much outreach at all in Middle Tennessee to the Hispanic population,” she said.

Gonzalez said it was not statistics, but the media coverage of a number of Hispanic vehicular homicide cases and the onset of the holiday season that prompted him to act immediately.

“But the basic message is that drinking and driving is not okay,” Gonzalez said. “It’s an opportunity to educate the Hispanic community, and we recognize that it hasn’t been done in Middle Tennessee.”

These numbers would not be nearly so HIGH if not for the ILLEGAL ALIENs
    living in this area!!

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Grim statistics on DUI end up with silver lining

December 07, 2006

A depressing set of statistics for Nashville’s growing Hispanic community has a very distinct silver lining.

According to Metro Police and U.S. Census figures, Nashville’s male Hispanics have been responsible for a greater percentage of fatal traffic accidents this year than any other demographic. The numbers themselves paint a grim picture.

U.S. Census bureau estimates show Hispanics made up about 6.3 percent of Nashville’s population in 2004, but police say they were responsible for 17 percent of the fatal car wrecks that have occurred to date in 2006.

Nashville’s almost 93 percent of people of other races and ethnic groups combined were responsible for the other 83 percent of this year’s fatal traffic accidents.

At last count, there have been 79 fatal traffic accidents in Metro this year, police said.

Perhaps the most glaring example was when an illegal Hispanic immigrant allegedly killed a Mt. Juliet couple in a traffic accident where he was allegedly driving under the influence. The situation even became part of the topography of the governor’s race.

But leaders in Nashville’s Latino community are beginning to organize and take action into their own hands to curb the rash of drunk driving in their community.

A loose conglomerate of organizations is launching the first-ever coordinated campaign to educate the Middle Tennessee Latino community about the dangers of drunk driving. Members of nonprofits, Hispanic media and related businesses are all pitching in on the public awareness campaign.

Certainly, the horrific incidents of DUI related deaths allegedly at the hands of illegal Hispanic immigrants has added fuel to the already raging debate in Nashville about illegal immigration.

This move by these members of the Hispanic community is not only responsible but an important symbolic act the rest of Nashville needed to see. This initiative represents a minority community in Nashville truly establishing itself as part of the positive, proactive social fabric of our city. It shows an admirable measure of personal responsibility for one’s community.

It is also a sign to the rest of the city that really should not be needed but is still helpful. The Latino community here is stepping up to address cultural problems within their own ranks.

The numbers do not lie, and a higher percentage of Hispanic males in recent years have been involved in fatal accidents than any other group within the city. Hispanic leaders are meeting that challenge head-on and are working to spread the word drinking and driving is not acceptable behavior.

Read this article online:
    /index.cfm?section=38&screen=news&news_id=53582

Copyright 2000-2004, The City Paper LLC.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/forum/t ... IC_ID=8687

Author Topic Page: 1 2 of 2
    DD
    Forum Scholar

USA
    1586 Posts
    Posted - 12/02/2006 : 11:36:07 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just saw this sticker:

http://www.cafepress.com/alipac.59158971

Do they realize how many Hispanics drink beer?

I'm going to call Miller and talk to their PR manager next week.

They need to hear the Compassionate Conservative Hispanic perspective.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.latinorepublican.com

"I think a very important part of the productivity gains in the past decade were associated with our open immigration policy," -- Ben Bernanke (Greenspan's replacement)

Edited by - DD on 12/02/2006 11:42:21 AM

Oscar Garcia

USA
    3457 Posts
    Posted - 12/02/2006 : 11:49:44 AM

quote:
    Originally posted by DD

I just saw this sticker:

http://www.cafepress.com/alipac.59158971

Do they realize how many Hispanics drink beer?

I'm going to call Miller and talk to their PR manager next week.

They need to hear the Compassionate Conservative Hispanic perspective.

Like DD, I too will call Miller Brewing Company and let them know I am behind them all the way by drinking beer from the Miller Brewing company, Salud.

We must educate our children, but in order to educate our children, we must educate ourselves.

http://www.galleons.org/herencia.php

http://www.magfundraising.com/galleons

http://www.artistcolony.net/jamiedakis/

tony_cheek
    Forum Scholar

USA
    2049 Posts
    Posted - 12/02/2006 : 1:30:30 PM

Only one word for this situation:

KEGGER! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tony Cheek, Galleons Organization, NFP
    Galleons RSS News Feed
    Magazine Fundraiser: http://www.magfundraising.com/galleons

Anyone But Joey

LaVerdad
    Forum Veteran

765 Posts
    Posted - 12/02/2006 : 1:34:55 PM

quote:
    Originally posted by tony_cheek

Only one word for this situation:

KEGGER!

LOL!! That was hysterical.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. "

http://la.indymedia.org/news/2006/10/18 ... php#186474
    —Dr. Martin Luther King

Oscar Garcia

USA
    3457 Posts
    Posted - 12/02/2006 : 5:57:04 PM

It's MILLER TIME!!!

We must educate our children, but in order to educate our children, we must educate ourselves.

http://www.galleons.org/herencia.php

http://www.magfundraising.com/galleons

http://www.artistcolony.net/jamiedakis/

Edited by - Oscar Garcia on 12/02/2006 5:58:00 PM

bob1388
    Forum Regular

134 Posts
    Posted - 12/02/2006 : 7:15:21 PM

Here's ALIPAC's allegation that Miller supports illegal immigration.
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=N ... e&sid=1483

La Raza advocates comprehensive immigration reform among many other things. The topics page on their web site lists eight different areas of advocacy, of which only one is immigration.
    http://www.nclr.org/section/topics/

I'd say Miller's relationship to illegal immigration is a very distant relationship. ALIPAC claims Miller contributed $30,000 towards a Labor Day immigration march in Chicago, but Miller flatly denies it.
    http://www.millerbrewing.com/pressRoom/ ... number=181

I doubt they will get much traction from their boycott. Even if Miller made a donation towards a march, that's quite a reach to call that evidence Miller supports illegal immigration. The boycott will fail.

Let's tap a few kegs of Miller Genuine Draft and have an ALIPAC roast! I can smell barbecued TwistedTruth already! Let's turn 'em over, he's done on that side now. Mmmm...I smell BBQ pork!

Buford
    Junior Forum Member

10 Posts
    Posted - 12/03/2006 : 03:33:53 AM

People at ALIPAC have been boycotting a lot of businesses for over a year. Tysons Chicken, all fast food, Disney... Maybe soon they'll boycott living and working in buildings built by Hispanic labor.

There was one really funny topic over at ALIPAC a couple of months ago. It's been deleted. One genius saw a guy buying Miller Beer. He gave the guy the false information about how Miller supports illegal immigrants so the guy decided to buy Ice House beer instead. Genius one took a picture of genius two holding a case of Ice House meanwhile giving the finger to a can of Miller Beer.

I guess they found out at their Mensa group meeting that Miller makes Ice House

Edited by - Buford on 12/03/2006 03:35:10 AM

rudedog
    Forum Contributor

USA
    215 Posts
    Posted - 12/03/2006 : 04:37:01 AM

I love my Bourbon n coke, but I guess its Miller time for me.

bob1388
    Forum Regular

134 Posts
    Posted - 12/03/2006 : 08:35:45 AM

Perhaps the ALIPAC folks need to become vegetarians and not eat meat, and avoid restaurants and newly constructed homes or buildings. A significant percentage of workers in meat packing, restaurants, and construction are illegal immigrants.

Oops! I forgot agriculture. They need to also avoid fresh vegatables and fruit picked in the U.S., and stick to imported fruits and vegatables.

As for beer, I doubt Miller knowingly hires illegal immigrants for their high paying Union jobs. Their sin according to ALIPAC was making a donation to La Raza, which advocates comprehensive immigration reform, which makes Miller a supporter of illegal immigration!

Excuse me, but I have to run and start another six pack of Miller Genuine Draft...

tony_cheek
    Forum Scholar

USA
    2049 Posts
    Posted - 12/03/2006 : 09:10:48 AM

quote:
    Originally posted by Buford

People at ALIPAC have been boycotting a lot of businesses for over a year. Tysons Chicken, all fast food, Disney... Maybe soon they'll boycott living and working in buildings built by Hispanic labor.

There was one really funny topic over at ALIPAC a couple of months ago. It's been deleted. One genius saw a guy buying Miller Beer. He gave the guy the false information about how Miller supports illegal immigrants so the guy decided to buy Ice House beer instead. Genius one took a picture of genius two holding a case of Ice House meanwhile giving the finger to a can of Miller Beer.

I guess they found out at their Mensa group meeting that Miller makes Ice House

Now that's classic!

Tony Cheek, Galleons Organization, NFP
    Galleons RSS News Feed

Anyone But Joey

iamme
    Forum Contributor

478 Posts
    Posted - 12/03/2006 : 09:30:32 AM

Dude, y'all just jumping into the bandwagon? I was kinda feeling anxious thinking I had to drink all that miller by myself. I feel much better now that I am not drinking alone I think I'll have me another miller beer.

MILLER TIME!!!

"Humanitarianism consists in never sacrificing a human being to a purpose."
    -- Albert Schweitzer

http://www.galleons.org

Anyone But Joey

Edited by - iamme on 12/03/2006 09:31:34 AM

prometeo
    Forum Veteran

525 Posts
    Posted - 12/03/2006 : 10:03:27 AM

It's Miller time!

I hope miller comes out with wine!

DODO:

Your post added what to the topic "Male Hispanics & Fatal Car Crashs"?

Care to explain?

And the dogs return to their vomit...

Well, it appears that DODO was trying to show us that the posters on HB like to drink beer. Some of them even like Miller. Hisss Booo!

DODO has half of the evidence. Now all he/she has to do is prove they like to drive!

Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Well, it appears that DODO was trying to show us that the posters on HB like to drink beer. Some of them even like Miller. Hisss Booo!

DODO has half of the evidence. Now all he/she has to do is prove they like to drive!

Dixie
    Nothing like having people prove the point for you!!

Harhar. Dodo's a Mexican troll and William's staff needs to move that post over to a special thread that contains examples of what they have to offer our nation. Dodo knows the Mexicans are here only to get free stuff and crap on America. And he just rubbed our noses in it.
    '58 Airedale

People at ALIPAC have been boycotting a lot of businesses for over a year. Tysons Chicken, all fast food, Disney...
    Disney???? I think you got your wires crossed, it was the miltant mexica movement that was boycotting Disney.....remember they think Paul Harvey is a Nazi!! I wonder what the Mexicans think about the Galleons organization. I thought they hated Spaniards. It seems Hispanics have enough racism among themselves, but I guess that doesn't count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast