Teen killed in hit-run crash

Teen killed in hit-run crash

By: North County Times -
January 22, 2007

ESCONDIDO -- A 17-year-old boy fatally struck during a weekend hit-and-run crash in Escondido was an agricultural worker from Mexico, a San Diego County medical examiner's investigator said Monday.

She said Eleuterio Balderas Linares was staying with his sister in Escondido, and his parents live in Mexico.

Linares appears to have been hit by two separate vehicles, one right after the other, about 8:15 p.m. Friday on Washington Avenue at Begonia Street, according to police.

Lt. Mike Loarie said officers arrived about a minute later to find the severely injured victim unconscious in the westbound lanes of Washington. Linares died at the scene.

The first driver sped away without stopping in a black car that resembled an Acura sedan, police said.

Loarie said the second driver, alone and unhurt, stopped his green 1994 Ford Taurus and waited for officers. His name was not released.

The car that left the scene most likely has front end damage and a broken windshield, Loarie said.

Officers were investigating to determine how the victim was hurt by each vehicle, the cause of the collision and the direction of the pedestrian as he crossed Washington Avenue.

Police are asking anyone with information to call (760) 839-4722, day or night.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/01 ... _22_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Gary wrote on January 23, 2007 7:11 AM:"In memory of this victim; instead of building a little shrine with flowers at the site, I would propose that the city sets up a Driver's license checkpoint at this location for a minimum of every day for a week."

Sally wrote on January 23, 2007 7:55 AM:"A 17 year old "agricultural worker"? is that the new description of illegal alien? Just curious, NCT."

sad wrote on January 23, 2007 11:22 AM:"this is not about being illigal its about this boy being so young and now he is gone i dont understand what people are thinking would it have been more sad if it was an american boy that had gotten hit or what just put your self in his parents shoes for a moment imagine the pain. he came here to work so he can send his parents some money so this makes me sad."

racism once again!! wrote on January 23, 2007 3:52 PM:"it seems that to some peolpe it's more shocking to hear the he was mexican instead of focusing on the fact he was as (possibly) young as the son of the person who wrote that racist comment if she is lucky enough to have any. its just sad, and "my FRIEND" curiosity killed the cat. "

Saly wrote on January 23, 2007 5:16 PM:"Funny how racism is a one-way street. I did not mention Mexican. My tax money is being used for illegals from anywhere and it seems everywhere. And FYI, my sons do not break the laws of other countries; they have been taught better."

Syl wrote on January 23, 2007 5:33 PM:"What is Racist about the truth. Illegal Aliens are involved in more hit and run accidents then any other group of people. Just read the NCT stories over the last year."

racism once again!! wrote on January 23, 2007 7:59 PM:"thats not my point, im guessing that you are smart enough to figure out that i said that you are focusing on him being and illegal allien instead of him being young and killed. what an irony, Right? why don't you just keep your comments to yourself it all you are going to show is hypocracy. Do you even know if he was illegal? probably not. Do you realize that the food you eat most likely came from an illegal allien? I know that there is nothing racist about the truth, and this is the truth..."

hey you!! wrote on January 23, 2007 9:02 PM:"hey Saly please don't put any more comments!!! thank God that u aren't going through hard times like other people..... Eleuterio Balderas Linares REST IN PEACE..."

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor