Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC: Immigration study offers 26 ideas

Warning: Roll your pants legs up folks. This one gets pretty deep.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/n ... 539860.htm

Posted on Thu, Jan. 25, 2007

LOCAL TO FEDERAL RECOMMENDATIONS
    Immigration study offers 26 ideas
    Commission spent year reviewing data to gauge effects on region
    GREG LACOUR
    glacour@charlotteobserver.com

The Mayor's Immigration Study Commission report, hailed by city officials as the first of its kind in the nation, makes 26 recommendations for policymakers at every level of government.

They range from a requirement that police departments track foreign-born gang members to the hiring of more federal employees to help process visa requests, from pay incentives for emergency responders who learn other languages to an increase in available visas for professional workers from overseas.

Now it's up to elected officials to decide how to use the report.

The 28-member volunteer commission, at Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory's urging, spent a year reviewing data and trying to gauge immigration's effects on the Charlotte region.

"It's really what we wanted to come out of the whole process, of having people with facts and data sit in the same room over a year and look at immigration and how it affects the city," said Alan Gordon, the commission chairman and a Charlotte attorney who specializes in immigration law.

"I'd like to see the City Council and (Mecklenburg) county commissioners look at the full report, circle some stuff, and I'd be happy to talk to them about it. Then they could come up with their own proposals. They should begin their own conversation, then get the word out to people."

Gordon and other commission members presented the report to the council Monday and plan to do the same for county commissioners in early February. Members of both bodies said local governments can begin to enact specific policies immediately.

The council, for example, can follow one of the study's recommendations and force contractors on public projects to make sure their employees are legal. Councilman Michael Barnes suggested just that for the NASCAR Hall of Fame project.

"The general public is demanding and expecting we do something about it, and a lot of politicians are just talking about it to score political points," Barnes said Wednesday."

But local officials stressed that the immigration buck stops at the federal level -- and that the study's ultimate worth will lie in its ability to shape decisions by Congress. Gordon said the city will send copies of the report to the White House, state and federal legislators, the governor's office and Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff, among others.

U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Dole, R-N.C., knows about the study and looks forward to reviewing it, said Amy Auth, a deputy press secretary.

The study may reach receptive ears. President Bush, in his State of the Union address Tuesday, called on congressional leaders to pass immigration reform measures, including a temporary worker program -- coincidentally, another of the study's recommendations.

Highlighting Immigration

Some recommendations from the report:

• Develop or adjust codes governing the number of people living in one dwelling.

• Support the request for an immigration court in Charlotte, currently under consideration by the U.S. Department of Justice.

• Support an increase in Mecklenburg County jail and immigration detention space.

• At the federal level, support an increase in the number of legal visas issued and the creation of a temporary guest worker program.

• Add services to local health care providers, especially the Mecklenburg County Health Department, to combat chronic illnesses among legal and illegal immigrants.

• The full report is available online at www.charmeck.org/Departments/Mayor/ImmigrationStudy
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The first 3 ideas seems to be good ones. The others are awful. I just visited my family out there over the holidays and my son and I saw the Mecklenberg CO Sheriffs do a traffic stop of a carload of hispanics. I saw them checking IDs, they had one in cuffs; and dang did it do my heart good!

At least the Mecklenberg County Sheriff has been doing a good job from what I've read; as for the Council......that remains to be seen.

Where does Elizabeth Dole stand on illegal immigration?

Quote Originally Posted by cvangel
    Where does Elizabeth Dole stand on illegal immigration?
    Well, that's hard to say. She has an over-all rating of B+ http://grades.betterimmigration.com/tes ... VIPID=1078

but there are several things she's taken no action on. Guess she was too busy collecting money for GOP.

At least now she has immigration as a hot topic on her contact page. Guess they got tired of me telling them to add it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

She scored a "C" on interior enforcement. Otherwise "A"s and "B"s. I suspect she may have scored lower on that count because like many officials, they feel the federal government should absorb the cost. Maybe she's reluctant to commit state funds?

I just read her contact page. I'm impressed! She does say she supports a "genuinely temporary worker" program. To me that means enforceable. And if the government could actually enforce a temporary worker program I wouldn't have a problem with it either. As long as Americans were offered the jobs first. The problem is the overstays.

You think we could get her to run against Hillary? She's actually electable...people know her, her slate is pretty clean. She has a lot of experience. I'd vote for her!

Yes, I'd vote for her against Hilary but I don't think that'll happen.

This entire "study" was stacked from the get go when Mayor McRoroy filled the group with pro illegal alien members that agree with his Guest Worker support.

The release of the study has been timed to reinforce the DC efforts by Bush and others to pass a Guest Worker Program.

I believe, that the Guest Worker effort, is the core reason this group was put together.

If they pass a Guest Worker Amnesty, I wonder where Charlotte will place the bull fighting arena?

W

If they pass a Guest Worker Amnesty, I wonder where Charlotte will place the bull fighting arena?
    Good one W!
    They'll probably place it next to the cock fighting stadium.
    I wonder if being a matador is also considered a job Americans won't do.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Yeah, they've got in-state tuition for illegal aliens stuck in there too.