Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FCC to Fine Univision $24 Million

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article ... 30,00.html

(AP/New York) — Univision Communications Inc., the nation's largest Spanish-language broadcaster, may face a record $24 million fine from the Federal Communications Commission for falling short of regulators' expectations for educational children's programming, a newspaper reported Saturday.

Commission Chairman Kevin J. Martin said the agency had decided to impose the fine to punish Univision for maintaining that soap operas were educational programs, The New York Times reported. Federal rules require television broadcasters to air at least three hours a week of educational shows for children.

"I generally think consumers are better served by less regulation, not more," Martin told The Times in an interview. "But I also think the commission has a key role to play in some areas, such as children's television, and I take those obligations seriously."

Telephone messages for spokespeople in Univision's New York and Miami offices were not immediately returned early Saturday. Lawyers for Univision declined comment, The Times said.

The previous record for an FCC fine was $9 million, assessed against the telecommunications company Qwest Communications International Inc. for failing to disclose business relationships with local competitors in 2004.

Martin has already approved the Univision penalty, a component of a settlement that will clear the way for Univision to be acquired for $12.3 billion by a group of private investors, according to The Times.

Shareholders approved the acquisition in September. The investors include Saban Capital Group, Madison Dearborn Partners, Providence Equity Partners, Texas Pacific Group and Thomas H. Lee Partners.

The full commission is expected to approve the settlement, which would include plans to air more shows that meet the children's programming guidelines, the newspaper reported. The settlement would resolve what regulators say were violations of the guidelines at 24 Univision stations between 2004 and early 2006.

Univision had maintained that it met children's programming requirements by broadcasting several telenovelas, or soap operas. They included "Complices al Rescate," which followed 11-year-old identical twin girls who switched identities after finding out they had been separated at birth.

"A significant purpose and key educational objective of this program is to illustrate how friendship, love and kindness can help overcome life's adversities," the network's lawyers said in court papers.

But Martin said the FCC was unconvinced. Critics said the show featured adult plots and complex themes that were ill-suited for young children.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Banned
    You mean that fat greasy old men stuffed into tropical shirts and chasing hoochie girls around the set is not educational programming?

Rules should'nt apply or the rule should'nt be there????

Excuses, excuses..are you above the law? Do you think you should be above the law?

I can read between the lines. I'm sure it's Yes to all of the above.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I heard this in the morning and almost fell over when I heard that SOAP OPERAS {hispanic style} were EDUCATIONAL
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by CrocketsGhost
    You mean that fat greasy old men stuffed into tropical shirts and chasing hoochie girls around the set is not educational programming?
    Only if you hail from a country where most pupils don't graduate from the fifth grade.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake