Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arpaio to use state funds to fight smuggling

Arpaio to use state funds to fight smuggling
    Matthew Benson
    The Arizona Republic
    Mar. 15, 2007 12:00 AM

Maricopa County will access state funding to pursue human-smuggling operations, including undocumented immigrants being smuggled as human cargo.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio on Wednesday announced the agreement with the Arizona Department of Public Safety that will help fund 15 deputies devoted to illegal immigration.

"I will continue our policies in fighting this problem as we have in Maricopa County," Arpaio said, leaving open the possibility that his squad may venture outside the county boundary, as well. "We will go after the illegal immigration problem."

The Legislature and governor last year approved $10 million that can be accessed by local law enforcement through the state's Gang and Immigration Intelligence Team Enforcement Mission, or GIITEM. Eighty-five percent of the county's costs in the effort will be reimbursed.

But Arpaio's efforts aren't without controversy. That was clear Wednesday at the media briefing, where Arpaio stood alongside County Attorney Andrew Thomas and Republican legislative leaders Senate President Tim Bee and House Speaker Jim Weiers.

The meeting did not include representatives of DPS.

That may be at least partially due to a fundamental difference between how the state and county agencies combat illegal immigration. Arpaio says he'll continue to use a state statute to arrest and seek the prosecution of both human smugglers and their customers. In just over a year, the Sheriff's Office has arrested about 470 people under the statute.

DPS intends to continue targeting the smuggling rings themselves. Most undocumented immigrants will be turned over to U.S. Border Patrol, said Detective Tim Mason, a DPS spokesman. Only the ringleaders will be prosecuted.

"We feel it more important to direct our efforts, our investigative efforts, at those who are profiting from (human smuggling)," Mason said.

He added that the sheriff "will conduct his own investigations" independent of DPS, but that it is hoped that the two agencies will share intelligence.

Legislative and county officials trumpeting the new agreement Wednesday said they are hopeful it will help in the fight against illegal immigration.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... 0315.html#
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Please lord keep this man safe. There are so few men in power that recognize the crisis that we are in.

Sheriff Joe is my hero...this guy just gets it done!!

Sheriff Joe does a pretty good job, but I'm a little leary of him. I heard an interview with him on KHOW and he repeatedly skirted around some poinient questions that were asked of him, like why he condemed the Minutemen, when these folks volunteer to assist. And a few others of a similar nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
    Sheriff Joe does a pretty good job, but I'm a little leary of him. I heard an interview with him on KHOW and he repeatedly skirted around some poinient questions that were asked of him, like why he condemed the Minutemen, when these folks volunteer to assist. And a few others of a similar nature.
    Are you serious? I wonder what that was about? Does anybody know anything more about this?