Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Romney says illegal immigrants should register

Romney says illegal immigrants should register
    GOP presidential candidate does not call for automatic deportations
    Carla Marinucci, Chronicle Political Writer

Friday, March 16, 2007

(03-16) 11:34 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney campaigning today in California said the nation's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants should "register" with the government to declare their status and circumstances.

Romney said he believes that undocumented immigrants living in the United States should receive no "special pathway" to legalization, but neither would he automatically deport them should they declare themselves to the government.

"The first thing I'd like them to do is to register, so I know how many there are, and what their circumstances are,'' including whether they have had children born in America, how long they have been here or if they hold jobs, he said in a telephone interview with The Chronicle from San Diego, where he was fundraising as part of a two-day state swing. "And on that basis, we can see who would receive temporary employment visas and who would instead be required to return home.''

Romney, 60, the former Massachusetts' governor, is a strong fundraiser and is considered one of the top tier of Republican candidates for president with Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

Romney said illegal immigrants in the United States "should be treated just like those in other countries,'' meaning "there should be no special pathway for illegal immigrants here.''

"They can apply for a green card. They can apply for citizenship just like anyone else,'' he said. But "there should be no advantage in citizenship or permanent residency'' for the undocumented.

Romney, during his interview with The Chronicle, discussed a wide range of issues including the importance of California moving its presidential primary early in the campaign season to Feb. 5, making it part of what appears to be almost a national primary with other big states such as Florida and New York.

"Everybody who is looking to become the Republican nominee is going to be spending a lot more time in California than we might have planned,'' Romney said.

Romney spoke at length on illegal immigration on a day when he was in San Diego where illegal immigration is among the most emotional issues.

The candidate said he does "not support" legislation introduced by McCain and Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy that would offer a pathway to citizenship for longtime undocumented immigrants living in the United States.

"Instead, we should have an employment verification system for enabling employers to identify who is legally able to work here and who is not,'' Romney said. "And then, once a system is in place, we would insist that employers follow the law, or be penalized, just like they are if they don't pay their taxes.''

But Romney, asked about his 2005 statement characterizing McCain's legislative efforts as "reasonable proposals,'' insisted his views have not changed over the years.

"I said all the proposals are reasonable. (McCain's) is a reasonable proposal, I just don't agree with it,'' he said. "And technically, it's not literally amnesty, because all of the people are not made citizens. But I think some people have begun to call it amnesty-lite.''

Romney also appeared to step away from some hard-line statements on immigration made Thursday by his high-profile Arizona endorser, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who told the Boston Globe that "if I could go around, I'd get my deputies arresting every illegal here and dump them and bring them back to Mexico. It could be done, state by state.''

Asked if he agreed with Arpaio, Romney said: "I don't believe we're going to round up the 12 or 20 million people and deport them. I do believe we need to have the people who are here as aliens register, so we know how many there are and what category, so we can take action based on that information.''

Saying he is "not in favor of widespread roundups,'' Romney said that he believes "states should be doing what we're doing in our state -- which is seeking to empower the state police to detain those who are here illegally if they are found in the regular course of business.''

E-mail Carla Marinucci at cmarinucci@sfchronicle.com

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... OMKR97.DTL

San Francisco Chronicle Sections WineDatebookCarsCommentarySportsNewsBay AreaBusiness
    © 2007 Hearst Communications Inc. | Privacy Policy | Feedback | RSS Feeds | FAQ | Site Index | Contact
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Asked if he agreed with Arpaio, Romney said: "I don't believe we're going to round up the 12 or 20 million people and deport them. I do believe we need to have the people who are here as aliens register, so we know how many there are and what category, so we can take action based on that information.''

Saying he is "not in favor of widespread roundups,'' Romney said that he believes "states should be doing what we're doing in our state -- which is seeking to empower the state police to detain those who are here illegally if they are found in the regular course of business.''
    So what do you plan to do mr. double talk? You can't let them stay here illegally, and yet you don't support massive roundups. If these raids continue, and WHEN THE EMPLOYERS START GETTING PUNISHED, the message will get out and many will self deport. There won't be a need to deport all 20 million because many will leave on their own.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

The difference in between the amnesty supporters and the most organized of the immigration enforcement activists is that the amnistas want to have them voting citizens after six years and the enforcement activists want at least half of them to be back where they came from.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

NO RIGHTS FOR THEM!!! DEPORT ALL THESE ILLEGAL ALIENS, INCLUDING THE ANCHOR BABIES!!!

THESE BABIES ARE NOT AMERICAN CITIZENS, THEY ARE ILLEGALS' CHILDREN, CITIZENS OF MEXICO AND THE OTHER COUNTRIES FROM WHERE THEIR CRIMINAL PARENTS CAME FROM.

Deport illegals as you find them. No one should be able to get a job without proving that they are a citizen. No benefits for any illegal.

What's wrong with all of these people??? It isn't hard to understand; Illegal means ILLEGAL!

Re: Romney says illegal immigrants should register

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    But "there should be no advantage in citizenship or permanent residency'' for the undocumented.
    The illegals don't care, just being able to live in the US and getting citizenship for their kids is a giant advantage over legal immigrants waiting outside the US!

Tancredo for President!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)