Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

From Guatemala to Napa High

From Guatemala to Napa High
    Two teens make long journey to reach for diploma
    By CRISTINA DE LEÓN-MENJIVAR
    Register Staff Writer
    Tuesday, May 01, 2007
    With the money collected from selling a bike and working for two days, Fredy Carrillo and Brayan Garcia decided to change their lives forever.

They would come to Napa.

Unhappy with their prospects in their humble hometown of Santa Rosa, Guatemala, they decided to find a way out. In early spring 2006, the two left their country to find more opportunity.

“I wanted to live better, there’s so much poverty, you just want to leave and find a better life,” Carrillo said in Spanish.

Both only 17 years old, they had already had experience as painters, bakers, and buyers and sellers of coffee, and the two best friends could not imagine where their five-month journey would take them. Leaving in early spring of last year, the two teens worked odd jobs all summer in Northern Guatemala and Mexico to fund their journey.

Once arriving to Napa and moving in with one of Brayan’s aunts, the two enrolled at Napa High School. Their teacher, Blanca Wellington, said they have been very successful in the school’s newcomer center.

“They put a lot of effort, I see that they try,” Wellington said. “They’re fantastic and I respect them so much.”

Both students are working nearly full-time at a fast food restaurant. Their focus is to study English so they can graduate and work to help their families in Guatemala.

Carrillo, however, knows graduating high school is not going to be an easy feat.

Carrillo is still learning very basic words, and proper pronunciation is a problem.

“It’s like I’m a baby learning how to speak — you say words wrong or backward,” he said in Spanish.

Fredy and Brayan still have their eyes on graduating in 2008.

Having come thousands of miles to get here, the two teens are not sure what will come after that. They may try to stay and work. They also said thoughts of returning to Guatemala later in life have crossed their minds. But first comes completing high school.

“Graduating is a goal I have, but I know I have to fight for it because it’s going to be hard,” Carillo said.

http://www.napavalleyregister.com/artic ... 073084.txt

What these two guys have done already is bad in so many ways. They have broken the law and worked illegaly in two countries in order to go to a school that we have to pay for and they do not. I do not see how Christina de Leon Menijivar the author of this piece can be so unmindul of the wrong that they and their aunt are doing.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Just more illegal aliens coming here to suck off the american taxpayers, bet they are marching today too to demand amnesty for all lawbreaking illegal aliens.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

What I don't understand is why doesn't the aunt have to prove she has legal custody of these 2 minors? If one is hurt can she give a hospital the right to treat them? How are 2 uneducated people going to graduate if they admittedly speak English like "babies"? The dept of Children and Families should be involved. I wonder if any teacher has reported the aunt. The way I see it, this should be a crime similar to kidnapping. No person should be able to keep these kids away from mom and dad. They should be brought home immediately, where there legal caregivers are. I doubt the aunt has adopted the nephew and his friend. People who adopt from foreign countries can't just bring the children here without filling out a ton of paperwork. Have they had their immunizations? Can the aunt even authorize a nurse or doctor to give those without being a legal custodian? (Those immunizations keep American kids safe from whatever these illegals may have brought with them) If they haven't been immunized they should be removed from school like any American would be. Does Child and Family Services have to check out any complaint received? They may not be safe with her. Like the illegals like to say, they have a "right" to free basic medical care,(immunizations are usually free) and if that adult is keeping 2 minors in her home that have not received basic medical care, I would think the teachers are legally obligated to report her. What if they are infected with meningitis, which is not all that uncommon. Who says they can be treated while their brains swell? Would the US have to try to locate the parents? They probably don't have a phone. Send them home.

Both students are working nearly full-time at a fast food restaurant. Their focus is to study English so they can graduate and work to help their families in Guatemala.

Ewwww. Speaking of vaccinations, Hepatitis for dinner anyone? Maybe the Health Dept needs to find out where these illegals are employed. My newborn receives Hep vaccines over a course of months. I doubt these kids did.

I'm telling you they are making us take in all of So. America this is not just about Mexico anymore. They are sending the amnesty signal out to all the poor from our southern border down. We are in big trouble here!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)