Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Federal Crackdown On Illegals Sparks Panic In Restaurant Wor

Federal Crackdown On Illegals Sparks Panic In Restaurant Workers
    http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.js ... &aid=72605

The Bush administration wants to press forward with a crackdown on illegal immigrants – a crackdown that could disrupt one of the pillars of the city's economy and make things a bit dicey the next time you want to go out to dinner. NY1’s Rebecca Spitz explains in the following report.

A letter from the Department of Homeland Security is sending waves of panic through the city restaurant industry. It warns employers they'll face serious penalties if they do not do everything they can to make sure the workers they're hiring are legal.

Here in New York City, activists estimate 40 percent of restaurant workers are not legal.

"If you are now creating these additional burdens for employers to hire people and additional burdens for workers to be able to work, you're creating a system where workers can't stay working in restaurants, the industry's just not going to survive without them," says Restaurant Opportunities Center Executive Director Saru Jayaraman.

Right now, when a worker's Social Security number doesn't match his name on tax or other documents, the federal government sends employers a "no-match" letter.

A newly-proposed federal regulation tells businesses they will be held accountable if they ignore that letter and fail to resolve the discrepancy within 90 days.

Department of Homeland Security says the measures will help them crack down on employers who knowingly hire illegal workers.

But the National Restaurant Association says while it expected increased enforcement, this is the wrong way to go about it, saying:

"We are concerned that the new regulations will result in employers in numerous industries having to let workers go as the economy is facing an increasingly tight labor market."

That's also a concern for business advocates like Kathryn Wylde.

"There are more than eight million undocumented workers in the United States today earning over $500 billion a year and paying taxes on it, they're on payrolls,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Garbage!!!!!!!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Boo hoo.

I get "waves of panic" when I look at once excellent public schools that have been overrun and ruined by illegal aliens.

I get "waves of panic" when I read about illegal alien gang members gunning down innocent people just because of the color of their skin.

I could go on, but you get the picture.

This is the LAST place a illegal should be working,handling our food since they have not been tested for a lot of diseases they bring with them.

I contracted Typhoid Fever 3 yrs. ago.The CDC & local health dept. were in my hospital room scared to death there might be a breakout. The doctors were unsure of why I was so sick until a Dr. from India was assigned to my case,he recognized my symtoms immediately since it is a part of life in India.Testing confirmed his diagnosis.

In reviewing where I had been days leading up to my illness the only place I could have contracted Typhoid was in a restaurant I visited 2 days before getting ill.

Did you ever hear of Typhoid Mary ? She was a immigrant cook and a carrier who caused a horrible out break in NY City.The only way you can contract Typhoid from a person is if they do not wash their hands after going to the bath room..........
    and there are many more diseases we could contract also.

This is enough reason for shutting down these resturants.I will not go to a resturant who hires Illegal Aliens........
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

(Sob) I guess Americans will have to go back to canned vegetables, hamburger, macaroni and cheese and tomato soup--all from the supermarket. Well, I guess the "cafe society" days were good while they lasted--although I didn't get in on very much of it at all.

(Sob) This certainly will ruin America. Maybe Ned Flanders would have a word of wisdom in these trying times.....
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David

I would NEVER eat at a restaurant that hires illegals.

Everyone knows that there are lots of criminals and anti-american type people among the illegals... who knows what they do with the food.

Subway is the only "restaurant" where I go every once in a while because you can see them (and the food) all the time.

They cannot add any "extra incredients" to the food.

A newly-proposed federal regulation tells businesses they will be held accountable if they ignore that letter and fail to resolve the discrepancy within 90 days.
    So what have they been doing with the freakin' letters up to this point? Is that like when you get a letter from the IRS saying you owe $10,000 in back taxes and you toss it? Nobody follows up on it?

This is making those of us who consider ourselves law-abiding citizens nothing but chumps. I have been putting myself to a lot of unnecessary trouble.

In that 90 days, the illegals can be recycled into temporary workers of some kind.

That is what is happening - if not our newspapers would be full of want ads and not ads that demanded bilingual either. If the companies truly thought this would be a problem, they would be out beating the bushes.

This is hype -

i agree!

i totally agree with you! everytime i go into a hospital which has been milked out of millions of u.s. dollars by the illegals,when i go into a restaurant that has been overrun by illegals,when i go into a post office to see and hear illegals sending OUR money back to THEIR country,when i see them flipping me the bird like they belong here.....(MOD EDIT...)
    I get "waves of panic" when I look at once excellent public schools that have been overrun and ruined by illegal aliens.

I get "waves of panic" when I read about illegal alien gang members gunning down innocent people just because of the color of their skin.

I could go on, but you get the picture.[/quote]

JAK
    OMG...
    I want OUR United States of America... before it became disgraced with illegals!!!!!!!!!!! Low standards... and trash everywhere they go...
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast