Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

Liberals outed as anti-immigration reformers

SAN DIEGO

The national dialogue over immigration reform is like a delicate negotiation -- one that works only if both sides deal in good faith. Which explains why the debate stalled. Neither side has been honest about what they really want and don't want.

We already knew that those on the right were being deceitful. They insist that border security is all they care about, when much of what drives them is a nativist impulse to reverse what they see as the "Mexicanization" of the United States complete with taco trucks, Mexican flags and Spanish-language billboards.

But last week, we learned that those on the left -- including open-border advocates, immigrant activists and Latino groups -- can be just as disingenuous. They insist they support increased border enforcement as part of a comprehen- sive reform package, but when the enforcement comes a la carte, they cry foul.

These are some of the same people who also say we focus too much on the illegal immigrants and not enough on those who hire them. That's what I hear whenever I speak to Latino groups: that authorities should concentrate on the farms, restaurants, hotels and other businesses that depend on illegal immigrants to do the jobs that Americans pass up.

Free pass

They have a point. It's just more sporting when government goes after people who have the resources to strike back. As it stands, most employers get a free pass. They have a long list of excuses, claiming that they didn't know a worker was illegal, that subcontractors do the hiring, that the documents presented looked real or that they can't deny jobs to people they suspect are undocumented lest they get sued for discrimination. And on it goes.

Yet, when people make the argument that we focus too much on immigrants and not enough on employers, the implication is that they support cracking down on those doing the hiring. Apparently not. Otherwise, the left wouldn't be so upset over a new initiative from the Department of Homeland Security that aims to go after employers who repeatedly hire illegal immigrants. It's as if the left finally figured out that if the government cracks down on employers, the tactic could punish workers by putting them out of a job.

That's too bad. Neither the illegal worker nor the unscrupulous employer deserves much sympathy. Besides, if you don't attack the problem at the root, you'll never solve it.

Crackdown warranted

The left's fury was aroused last week by the announcement that Homeland Security would target employers through "no-match" letters sent by the Social Security Administration. Those letters go to employers informing them the Social Security numbers of 10 or more workers don't match those on government records, a good indication the workers could be in the country illegally.

Under the new guidelines, once employers are notified they have illegal workers, they would have to prove that the problem had been corrected even it that means firing the workers who provided phony documents. Those employers who don't comply with that requirement could face fines of up to $10,000 per violation.

The National Council of La Raza blasted the new policy as "an assault on the civil rights of all Hispanic Americans," according to a statement from NCLR President Janet Murguia. She said the new measures would result in "the racial profiling of all working Latinos" and "impose a substantial burden on a subset of our citizens which is based entirely on the color of their skin, their accent or their name."

The pro-immigrant National Immigration Forum predicted the new strategy would fail, with "disastrous, economic, security and civil rights consequences." A spokesman did say that such enforcement measures could make sense, but only combined with "a functioning legal immigration system."

The New York Times editorial page called the crackdown on employers "infuriating and potentially dangerous" because of a 4 percent error rate with the database at the Social Security Administration, which produces the "no-match" letters. The newspaper also blasted the Bush administration for embracing an enforcement-only approach.

It's fine to oppose an enforcement-only approach as a wishful and ineffective strategy to curb illegal immigration. But that shouldn't stop you from supporting those elements that are fair and reasonable, such as cracking down on employers who repeatedly break the law.

Otherwise, folks might conclude that what you really want is an open border. That's not a logical position, but at least it's clear. And those who think we should go in that direction should just be honest and say so. Then maybe we can restart the negotiation.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/p ... 05/OPINION

Illegals from Mexico are NOT Hispanic Americans!!!! They are Hispanic lawbreakers.

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

It's Time to Change Leadership

The Religious community and Democrats have some answering to do as well but as a Republican I am focusing on King George W. Bush ... you Folks go after the Dems although our Republican leadership wishes you would too

Let me remind you of some of the issues this man has us mired in. I am not letting this corrupt man King George W. Bush off of the hook that easy

Now we come to find out that Bush will not be going after employers of Illegal immigrants as hard as his last statement as well as Chertoff said they would.....That's it..........That was this Morons LAST SHOT OF CREDIBILITY

Get out of OFFICE you fraud, you flake you piece of Cow D%&@

WE DESERVE A COMPETENT LEADER

GET OUT, GET OUT, GET OUT

Even the Democrats don't want him impeached; Bush makes the crazy Democrats look good

King Bush has single handedly crippled the Republican Party

Republicans changing party ticket to Independent and makes even Hillary look good and I cant stand her or her husband - come on Ron Paul

The World knows your an idiot; why cant this country see it. I am a Republican and I voted for this crack pot twice. I have been humbled to the bone and will never ever vote a straight party ticket ever again

Demand to your senators to enact impeachment proceedings NOW!

- The Economy (Bush) Greenspan and the new fed goes by Bushes Guidance ... liquidity from Bush has the markets ready to collapse
    - liquidity flooded the banks which fueled the housing collapse
    - Sub Prime fiasco (Financed by the Fed)
    - A US very, very bad recession is right around the corner IF NOT DEPRESSION
    - Billions of US investor dollars lost within the last month alone in the stock market and is SCREAMING FOR A TAX PAYER BAILOUT
    - Billions of foreign currency lost because of the liquidity of the Fed under Bush
    - The Rich are getting Richer; the Poor and Getting Poorer and the Middle class is being eliminated
    - The War .... This is the most incompetent commander in chief ever ... almost 4,000 war dead... the injured are way to numerous to count
    - He even out sorced his Job as Commander and Chief to a 3 star general.... NO Commander and Chief has ever, ever done that
    - Billions and Billions spent in Iraq and nothing works
    - Iran Quds force killing the best soldiers on this planet (Our Protectors) the US ARMED FORCES and he makes jokes as he stutters on the podium
    - The Terrorist organizations are growing and now we have confirmed Terrorist that crossed into this country from Mexico
    - The all volunteer force is depleted and now we are looking at opening up the draft again
    - Worn out military equipment
    - Exhausted Soldiers
    - Veterans hospital worn out
    - Illegal Immigrant invasion
    - Amnesty giveaway of US benefits
    - Social security to Illegal aliens
    - how many citizens a day are killed by a drunk illegal alien (DUI) (Under your watch)
    - How many women and little children have been raped by illegal alien predator (Under your watch)
    - Wet foot Dry Foot Cubans getting 10,000 dollars after processing with ICE
    - after 9/11 and the borders are not even close to being sealed
    - H2 Visa mess
    - Out sourcing jobs
    - Off shoring corporations
    - INFLATION = the Fed has cooked the books sir... You are a nut case if you expect us to believe that inflation is within 2%
    - Hyper inflation right around the corner as soon as the rate cute hit
    - The department of homeland security (What kind of joke is this)
    - Katrina (Waist, Fraud and abuse of Billions of taxpayer dollars)
    - Scooter Libby Pardoned (BUT)
    - Our own Border Patrol officers are being locked up doing 11 -12 years while we give a free pass to a drug smuggler from a Federal Prosecutor
    - NAFTA
    - NAFTA Super highway taking funds from state DOTs to repair infrastructure like the bridge that collapsed
    - The SPP
    - CARL ROVE (this was supposed to be Bushes Brain) if so I hope the lobotomy worked ... this man has advised King George W. Bush on the Amnesty Issue and Social Security
    - Chertoff (Just another STUPID over paid government employee) I have a gut feeling
    - Gonzolez
    - Chaney
    - The Sec. of Commerce (COMPLETE IDIOT)
    - The Dubai ports deal
    - Harriet Myers
    - Inaction on Darfur
    - Tony Blair forced to resign
    - International hatred of the US by 95% of the world because of you, greedy corporation's and lobbyist that you pander too

To SAY I AM POed is a Misnomer ... I am screaming at the top of my lungs

This man is corrupt to the bone... We demand you get off your throne and drag your backside to Texico (Another place flooded with Illegal Aliens)

Go take some on-line classes because you have to be the most inept person that walks in this country

STAND UP PEOPLE.... if your not part of the solution; you are part of the problem

You Sir need to be tried by an International Court of your peers and just sentencing to occur for war crimes against humanity

Now we the People are racists because we will no loger bow to all of the crap stated above... Austa La Bye - Bye

Your not even white trash (they seem to be better breed than you)

"You can delegate Authority; but you cannot delegate Responsibility"
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)