Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Let's try an immigration compromise

DREAM Act Alert!!! DREAM ACT Alert!!! DREAM Act Alert!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's try an immigration compromise
    Kids brought here by parents could stay after college or military service

September 5, 2007
    BY MARK BROWN Sun-Times Columnist
    http://www.suntimes.com:80/news/brown/5 ... 05.article

It's believed that something like 65,000 illegal immigrants are graduating each year from American high schools.
    Obviously, not many of them match the profile of Oscar, the young man I told you about Tuesday who slipped across the border from Mexico with his family when he was 9.

That's only because there aren't that many young men and women -- period -- like Oscar, a high-achieving computer whiz from the the south suburbs who scored 30 on his ACT, graduated third in his high school class and dreams of going to M.I.T.

In most other respects, though, Oscar's circumstances are fairly typical of that group, and his dilemma certainly is.

When these young people graduate high school, they've got a big problem: Even though they've grown up in this country and most likely consider it their home, they are in the same legal stew as the parents who brought them here.

That means that because of their immigration status, they can't legally get a job. They also face extra barriers in going to college. Unlike their American citizen classmates, they can't qualify for financial aid, not even federal student loans.

But they're here just the same and looking to participate in our society.

There's Jose from Joliet, who came to this country when he was 3 and didn't even know he was illegal until he wanted to sign up for driver's ed and his parents explained he couldn't. Jose, who has a 4.0 GPA at Joliet Junior College, dreamed of becoming a police officer or firefighter. As things stand, that's not possible.

Or there's Dee from Bolingbrook by way of Quito, Ecuador, who envisioned joining the U.S. military after high school en route to becoming a lawyer -- until she realized illegal immigrants are prohibited from serving in our armed forces.

'Didn't make a conscious decision'

The question is what to do about them, and while my e-mail inbox is dominated by those who would send Oscar and the others back from whence they came, just like Elvira Arellano, I've got to believe this is a situation where many Americans would see the sense in finding an alternative.

Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois thinks he has a solution.

For the past six years, Durbin has been a sponsor of what is called the DREAM Act, which stands for the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors.

The idea is that we'd give young illegal immigrants an opportunity to achieve legal status if they went to college or joined the military.

To qualify, a person must have entered the U.S. before age 16 and must have lived here at least five years before the law's enactment. They also would need to graduate high school, have no criminal record and demonstrate "good moral character" as defined by current immigration law.

Durbin would grant them "conditional permanent resident status" for six years, during which they would either need to complete an associate degree, two years toward a bachelor's degree or serve two years in the U.S. armed forces. Completion would qualify them to become permanent legal residents.

Because of his involvement, Durbin has gotten to know many of the impressive young people currently treated by immigration law as outcasts, including Oscar, who by the way had the moxie to give the senator a business card from his computer consulting company. Durbin says meeting them has made the legislation that much more important to him.

"Why would you ever turn these kids away?" said Durbin, noting that Oscar and the others just followed their parents here. "They didn't make a conscious decision to break the law and cross the border."

Plan has an outside shot

While broader immigration reform legislation was stymied this year in Congress, Durbin still thinks there's an outside possibility the DREAM Act could win approval because of its bipartisan appeal. Orrin Hatch, the Utah Republican, was one of the original Senate co-sponsors, and Chuck Hagel of Nebraska is among those on board.

Giving the proposal a little momentum was an endorsement from the U.S. Defense Department, which obviously needs the recruits. In the next few weeks, Durbin may try attaching the DREAM Act to the defense authorization legislation.

In the current political atmosphere, I'm not convinced you can separate the DREAM Act issue from the larger question, but I'm no Washington expert.

At some point, we have to start finding points of agreement in the immigration debate. This would be a place to start.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Any compromise is a win for the pro open border group. No compromise just send them home.

I do not feel they should be allowed to serve in our military. I question their loyalty and reason for serving.

"Why would you ever turn these kids away?" said Durbin, noting that Oscar and the others just followed their parents here. "They didn't make a conscious decision to break the law and cross the border."
    Because they are their parents burden and not mine or my tax dollars for starters. Second because their anger and frustration should be turned on their ignorant, criminal parents and whatever government runs their native country who obviously feel that the laws of our nation do not apply to them or their offspring, so why prey tell should any of our entitlements or tax dollars?

Those who have sympathy for lawless invaders should voluntarily empty their bank accounts, forfeit any wealth, homes, etc. to provide for the law breakers that they hold so dear to their hearts. I am sick and tired of being victimized by the messes of the greedy politicians, big business and the bleeding hearts.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Sen. Durbin needs to give this up.

Parents do stupid things - by which their own children are required to suffer - all the time. Example: If I grew up in a house with a smoker, and later contract lung cancer, can I sue my parents? Or, if the parents have a first child, and don't feed and nurture the youngster well, and the child were to develop learning disabilities or even permanent developmental damage, does the child really have any recourse in the matter? It is sad, but true. [Stupid] parents make bad choices that impose suffering on their children all the time - this situation is no different.

Apparently, he cannot come to grips with the fact that the American people do not want any more "compromises" with regard to any immigration policies.

The American people want enforcement! - not changing of any laws, and no more wasted time trying NOT to enforce the laws which exist.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My heart gos out to any of the children whose parents abuse them. Putting them in this situation is indeed abuse. There is nothing bad enough that we could do to these heartless people who have no care about their children or their children's future.

We can't make it right for the kids. This would only encourage more abuse by other parents. The parents and adult children need to be sent back to where ever it is they came. The US Government has more to do than to correct parenting mistakes. We did not put them in this heart wrenching position THEIR PARENTS DID!
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Illegal aliens are notorious for using their children as both spears and shields in their selfish quest to "game the system". Family values, indeed. Although some compassion is warranted to the children, their values and ethics are shaped by their lawless parents. Amnesty and benefits to illegal aliens must be opposed in all forms.

We must break the chain and stop rewarding illegal behavior. In this case, I too feel sorry for the innocent children who were brought here by their law-breaking parents! But how else can we send a message to the millions more who are doing the same thing every hour of the day? It's bad enough that we are stuck with the tens of millions of anchor babies and their criminal parents.

Now that we have supported and educated millions of illegals and their children, it's time to send them back to Mexico (or wherever they came from) so that they can help THEIR COUNTRY out of the abyss of poverty and force their government to get off their collective behinds.

One of the biggest tragedies of this country was the reversal of PROP 187 in CA! The people overwhelmingly voted to deny education and services to illegal children... but one liberal judge, Mariana Phalzer, ruled it unconstitutional. Gray Davis, then governor, refused to appeal the decision...the rest is history!

DJ
    We are not saying that they can't go to college. We are saying we are not willing to give them grants and instate tuition. They can go to private universities. Of course, the problem is that even if they finish a four year program and graduate, they still don't have a social security card and can't get a job! I could agree to something like (1) in these six years, you have to FINISH college and get a degree; (2) there is no chance of bringing in relatives even if you finally arrive at legal citizen status. That would be humane--but it would not allow for bringing in all the relatives. Just help out the kid who was brought here as a child. If this student is as bright as they are describing here (and there aren't that many of them this capable!), then I would agree to the plan with my conditions. Of course, the Dream Act bunch would never go for it because what they really want is a chance to bring in all the relatives.

At any rate, if we have to compromise at all, it needs to be on the side of intelligent residents who have something to offer society!

If you check out the Dream Act Portal Forum and Cosaonline, you may not have quite as much sympathy for these kids. Unfortunately, entitlement has been entrenched by their parasitic parents. They have no appreciation for the tax-funded education they have already received. They are "demanding" more from "our" representatives.

They are only concerned with whether the war in Iraq will continue to increase their chances of having the Dream Act included in the Defense bill. They have no regard for our brave troops who are dying on a daily basis or losing limbs.

As usual, it's all about the illegals. They would rather have the war continue indefinitely regardless of American casualties, if it improves their chances for the Dream Act.

Regardless of ones stance on the war, it's appalling to have such callous attitudes. Furthermore, they have no intentions of ever actually serving in our military. They just want the benefit of in-state tuition the passage of the act will afford them.

Check out their links:

http://www.dreamact.info/forum/about1725-0-asc-0.html

http://www.cosaonline.org/forum/viewfor ... 3e3b64cde9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast