Thread: from Feinstein

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

from Feinstein

note her "unfortunately DOT failed to---" Nothing is done or planned. Excuse me, Is the DOT an independent agency accountable to no one! What total crap. Consider the source so it is more of the same.

Thank you for writing me to express your concerns about allowing Mexican trucks to travel on highways in the United States. I appreciate you taking the time to write, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you are aware, the Department of Transportation recently established a pilot program that would expand cross-border trucking operations with Mexico. This program will allow both for U.S. truckers to make deliveries in Mexico and Mexican truckers to make deliveries in the United States. In defending the pilot program, the Department of Transportation asserted that Mexican trucks operating in the United States would be inspected to ensure that they comply with U.S. safety regulations.

On September 11, 2007, I supported and the Senate agreed to an amendment, offered by Senator Byron Dorgan (D-ND), to the Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations bill, which eliminates all funding for the program that allows Mexican truck drivers to operate throughout the United States. Please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind as this issue is further considered by the Senate.

I have serious concerns about the impact that these trucks could have on safety, air quality, and security. In May, I worked to pass additional requirements that limit the program, that ensure safety standards are high, and that the program is fair to American drivers. Unfortunately, it appears that the Department of Transportation failed to comply with these high standards.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
    United States Senator

In the future, if you try to email Feinstein or Boxer, you will get a reply back if it from a third party such as CAPS etc, saying they will not accept it. You must email directly to their website. This evidently has just happened recently.