Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Adopted girl faces deportation

http://www.nydailynews.com/boroughs/200 ... ation.html

"I am writing to you because I need your help. I am trying to tell the American public the nightmare my 7-year-old adopted daughter is going through with the immigration authorities."

This is how Joseph Collar, 61, an American citizen, begins his letter to us. His words are full of despair and disbelief.

"She is an innocent little girl, but she is being punished by the actions of her biological mother - and was denied permanent residence. She won't be deported now, but could be in the future."

Collar and his wife, Cathy, 62, also a U.S. citizen, are not glamorous celebrities like, say, Madonna or Angelina Jolie. The poignant story of Neidy Elizabeth, their adopted Guatemalan child - brought here illegally at age 2 by her mother and later abandoned to the Collars - will not be splashed on front pages or discussed incessantly on TV gossip shows.

The Collars are a decent, loving and hardworking middle-class couple from Nutley, N.J., who strongly believe that "the United States of America is the land of the free." And their story is as worthy of attention as that of the celebrity adoptions.

Joseph, born in Cuba and a U.S. citizen since 1970, is the controller/treasurer of a regional distributor of frozen foods. Cathy, a homemaker, is a Guatemala native and has been a citizen since 1993. Neidy's mother is her niece.

The couple, Joseph said, is "trying to do the honorable thing" - raising a little girl forgotten by her drug-addicted mother.

Hard as they try, they cannot make sense of a set of laws so rigid that they could deprive Neidy of a loving family, and sentence her to a life of poverty and hopelessness.

"This is a perfect example of the problem with the immigration system," said Meaghan Tuohey-Kay, a West Orange, N.J., immigration attorney. "The girl had no say, made no choices. Still, she can't get a green card because the law doesn't allow any discretion."

The Collars legally adopted Neidy in New Jersey in 2004, but all their efforts to have their daughter become a legal resident of the U.S. have crashed against a wall of blind inflexibility.

In an Aug. 31, 2007, letter addressed to the 7-year-old, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services bureau informed her that she cannot become a legal resident.

"Your petition for change of status has been denied," it said.

It does not matter that Neidy is 7 now and was only 2 when she was brought to the U.S. by a mother who in five years has not been back even for a visit.

To the Collars' shock and dismay, Neidy Eizabeth could be sent back to Guatemala, her country of birth, where there is no one - no family, no friends - to take care of her.

"If she is deported, she would be sent to an orphanage," said an anguished Joseph Collar, who also has four grown children - three boys and a girl - all of whom share his strong values.

"We are a Christian family, and we have taken a paternal and moral responsibility in adopting our daughter. The immigration department is denying us our paternal right as the legal parents of this child," he said.

"Immigration laws must be morally responsible to an innocent 7-year-old and to us."

The only solution to Neidy's dilemma would be to get her out of the country and apply for a visa at a U.S. consulate, Tuohey-Kay said. This could take months and would be expensive. It would mean leaving home and work.

"We don't have the means to do that," Collar said.

Yet the Collars believe in the U.S., in the fairness of its laws and the values of its people, and will not give up the fight.

"All we are asking for is that our country shows goodwill to our daughter so she can make the most of her life and contribute to a better tomorrow," Collar said.

In these times, even that may be too much to ask.

__________________________________________________ _____

I hate this SoB! He's continually writing this type of BS in the NY Daily News. (Search Albor Ruiz here on Alipac) Apparently the NY DN. must ascribe to open borders to allow this tripe!

First of all this child's mother came here 5 years ago as a drug addled individual and promptly gave her child to her relatives of legal standing then disappeared!

Then 2 years later this couple were allowed to LEGALLY adopt the child? How? It is plainly stated that the mother NEVER even visited again. Is it possible, here in the United States, to accomplish such an adoption?

The article further states that this child now has NO relatives left in her native country...If you believe that I will sell you a bridge connecting Brooklyn to Manhattan!

I am offended by the blatant use of "innocent children" to advance the agenda of the "Illegal Immigrant" cause! Anyone entering the USA Illegally must KNOW the possible consequences and anyone harboring even a 'child' of such law breakers should also KNOW the possible result!

Open the original link...what a heart breaking picture it is...sorry, but there are children EVERYWHERE in the world that have been born into sorry situations and the USA is incapable of supporting them all!
    __________________________________________________ ____

If the NWO intends to bring down the American Standard of Living to equal that of the rest of the world...F**K THE NWO!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, as ratbstard points out - the entire problem here rests on this little detail:

...their adopted Guatemalan child - brought here illegally at age 2 by her mother and later abandoned to the Collars
    So, it's possible for a licensed, bonded, insured adoption agency to allow an illegal child to be legally adopted? What the heck does that mean?

Yes, the author does casually overlook the aspects of the story which are key to understanding the problem here. Sheesh.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ONE OTHER POINT....WHEN YOU LEGALLY ADOPT A CHILD IT BECOMES YOUR CHILD. IN OTHER WORDS, IT BECOMES YOUR CHILD AS IF IT IS YOUR BIOLOGICAL CHILD. SO IF THEY REALLY DID LEGALLY ADOPT THIS CHILD THEN THE CHILD WOULD BE A CITIZEN. MAYBE THEY ARE THE FOSTER PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIAN SO THAT IS WHERE THE IMMIGRATION PROBLEM COMES IN. BUT IF THEY ADOPTED HER, THERE WOULD BE NO IMMIGRATION ISSUES.

AND I AGREE. IT IS DESPICABLE TO USE "INNOCENT CHILDREN" TO FURTHER AN AGENDA.

Hi Ratsbstard,

Sheesh! Pass the crying towel. What a tear jerker!

Quote Originally Posted by New York Daily News
    The Collars are a decent, loving and hardworking
    Yeah, right! Just like Kennedy says.

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

Hi back at ya Cato! Oh that crying towel is getting abused! Is there any world problem that can't be slanted by pictures/stories of the "Innocent Children."

Tripe is a good description for such articles. Boo-freakin-hoo.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

My two sons are 17 and 13 and I've often explained to them that "If you ever hear a politician saying 'For the sake of the children'...look around fast because they are about to take away your rights, one way or another!"

Albor Ruiz really takes Americans for a bunch of fools.
    If that girls adoption was legal there would be no problem. I am so over this kind of crap!

Quote Originally Posted by rwright
    Albor Ruiz really takes Americans for a bunch of fools.
    If that girls adoption was legal there would be no problem. I am so over this kind of crap!
    rwright, so are many of us here in NYC but the ONLY media attention to the Illegal Immigration problem here is of this ilk!

I have E-mailed all of my state officials, all local papers, etc. but it is continually an IGNORED problem!

Re: Adopted girl faces deportation

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    Neidy's mother is her niece.
    This right here is the problem. The INS does not allow the adoption of foreign relatives even for legal immigrants because it is used as a way to get around the normal immigration system.

So the problem is not that the kid is illegal, but that she is related to her "adoptive" mom. If a non-relative wanted to adpot the child I don't think the immigration status would matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast