Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Under the current system of electing the President, no state requires that a presidential candidate receive anything more than the most popular votes in order to receive all of the state's electoral votes.

Not a single legislative bill has been introduced in any state legislature in recent decades (among the more than 100,000 bills that are introduced in every two-year period by the nation's 7,300 state legislators) proposing to change the existing universal practice of the states to award electoral votes to the candidate who receives a plurality (as opposed to absolute majority) of the votes (statewide or district-wide). There is no evidence of any public sentiment in favor of imposing such a requirement.

Since 1824 there have been 16 presidential elections in which a candidate was elected or reelected without gaining a majority of the popular vote.-- including Lincoln (1860), Wilson (1912, and 1916), Truman (194, Kennedy (1960), Nixon (196, and Clinton (1992 and 1996).

Americans do not view the absence of run-offs under the current system as a major problem. If, at some time in the future, the public demands run-offs, that change can be implemented at that time.

Jason Cabel Roe, a lifelong conservative activist and professional political consultant wrote in National Popular Vote is Good for Republicans: "I strongly support National Popular Vote. It is good for Republicans, it is good for conservatives, it is good for California, and it is good for America. National Popular Vote is not a grand conspiracy hatched by the Left to manipulate the election outcome.
    It is a bipartisan effort of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents to allow every state – and every voter – to have a say in the selection of our President, and not just the 15 Battle Ground States.

National Popular Vote is not a change that can be easily explained, nor the ramifications thought through in sound bites. It takes a keen political mind to understand just how much it can help . . . Republicans. . . . Opponents either have a knee-jerk reaction to the idea or don’t fully understand it. . . . We believe that the more exposure and discussion the reform has the more support that will build for it."
    http://tinyurl.com/3z5brge

Former Tennessee U.S. Senator and 2008 presidential candidate Fred Thompson(R), and former Illinois Governor Jim Edgar (R) are co-champions of National Popular Vote.

Saul Anuzis, former Chairman of the Michigan Republican Party for five years and a former candidate for chairman of the Republican National Committee, supports the National Popular Vote plan as the fairest way to make sure every vote matters, and also as a way to help Conservative Republican candidates. This is not a partisan issue and the NPV plan would not help either party over the other.
    http://tinyurl.com/46eo5ud

Some other supporters who wrote forewords to "Every Vote Equal: A State-Based Plan for Electing the President by National Popular Vote " include:

Laura Brod served in the Minnesota House of Representatives from 2003 to 2010 and was the ranking Republican member of the Tax Committee. She is the Minnesota Public Sector Chair for ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council) and active in the Council of State Governments.

James Brulte is a Republican who served as Republican Leader of the California State Assembly from 1992 to 1996, California State Senator from 1996 to 2004, and Senate Republican leader from 2000 to 2004.

Ray Haynes served as the National Chairman of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) in 2000. He served in the California State Senate from 1994 to 2002 and was elected to the Assembly in 1992 and 2002

Dean Murray is a member of the New York State Assembly. He was a Tea Party organizer before being elected to the Assembly as a Republican, Conservative Party member in February 2010. He was described by Fox News as the first Tea Party candidate elected to office in the United States.

Thomas L. Pearce served as a Michigan State Representative from 2005–2010 and was appointed Dean of the Republican Caucus. He has led several faith-based initiatives in Lansing.

83% of Tennessee Voters support a national popular vote

83% of Tennessee voters polled agree that "The presidential candidate who gets the most votes always should be the winner,"

Every political demographic group across the state favors changing to a system driven by the popular vote, the poll showed.

When Republicans were asked,"How should the President be elected, by who gets the most votes in all 50 states or by the current winner-takes-all system?" 73% of them favored the popular vote.

Of all Democrats asked the same question, 78% favored the popular vote system.

When respondents who agree with Tea Party values were asked, 72% of them preferred the popular vote.

http://tinyurl.com/3ap43e3

Re: 83% of Tennessee Voters support a national popular vote

Quote Originally Posted by oldgulph
    83% of Tennessee voters polled agree that "The presidential candidate who gets the most votes always should be the winner,"

Every political demographic group across the state favors changing to a system driven by the popular vote, the poll showed.

When Republicans were asked,"How should the President be elected, by who gets the most votes in all 50 states or by the current winner-takes-all system?" 73% of them favored the popular vote.

Of all Democrats asked the same question, 78% favored the popular vote system.

When respondents who agree with Tea Party values were asked, 72% of them preferred the popular vote.

http://tinyurl.com/3ap43e3
    I see a rigged poll.

"83% of Tennessee voters polled agree that "The presidential candidate who gets the most votes always should be the winner," "

Of course, whoever gets the most votes should win. But they FAIL to ask if a state should give their electoral votes to a candidate who won in enough other states by default, OR if they should count every vote and determine by state or county.

Many Americans don't even understand the electoral vote thing but instead think simply that the system works as each vote across the country gets counted up towards that candidate matter if they won or lost in certain states. With that thinking and some of the other beliefs and even proper understandings in the electoral vote system its easy enough to ask a stupid question such as "Should the winner win?" and then try and twist it.

I guarantee if you pick 2 states such as California and Texas (one red and one blue)... if you ask Texas if they think their votes should just follow Cali because Cali has a bigger population Texans will cry foul. If you ask that between Minnesota and Michigan again people would cry foul.

Just more rigged polls with crappy formed questions to guarantee an outcome then twist it to do what you want.

Only 4-8% decrease when asked push question

In state polls of 800 voters each with a second question that specifically emphasized that their state's electoral votes would be awarded to the winner of the national popular vote in all 50 states, not necessarily their state's winner, there was only a 4-8% decrease of support.

Question 1: "How do you think we should elect the President: Should it be the candidate who gets the most votes in all 50 states, or the current Electoral College system?"

Question 2: "Do you think it more important that a state's electoral votes be cast for the presidential candidate who receives the most popular votes in that state, or is it more important to guarantee that the candidate who receives the most popular votes in all 50 states becomes president?"

Support for a National Popular Vote

South Dakota -- 75% for Question 1, 67% for Question 2.
    see http://tinyurl.com/3jdkx7x

Connecticut -- 74% for Question 1, 68% for Question 2.
    see http://tinyurl.com/3nv8djt

Utah -- 70% for Question 1, 66% for Question 2.
    see http://tinyurl.com/3vrfxyh

Support by State by Party

By state (electoral college votes), by political affiliation, support for a national popular vote in recent polls has been:

Alaska (3) -- 66% among (Republicans), 70% among Nonpartisan voters, 82% among Alaska Independent Party voters
    Arkansas (6) -- 71% (R), 79% (Independents).
    California (55)– 61% (R), 74% (I)
    Colorado (9) -- 56% (R), 70% (I).
    Connecticut (7) -- 67% (R)
    Delaware (3) -- 69% (R), 76% (I)
    DC (3) -- 48% (R), 74% of (I)
    Idaho(4) - 75% (R)
    Florida (29) -- 68% (R)
    Iowa (6) -- 63% (R)
    Kentucky ( -- 71% (R), 70% (I)
    Maine (4) - 70% (R)
    Massachusetts (11) -- 54% (R)
    Michigan (16) -- 68% (R), 73% (I)
    Minnesota (10) -- 69% (R)
    Mississippi (6) -- 75% (R)
    Nebraska (5) -- 70% (R)
    Nevada (5) -- 66% (R)
    New Hampshire (4) -- 57% (R), 69% (I)
    New Mexico (5) -- 64% (R), 68% (I)
    New York (29) - 66% (R), 78% Independence, 50% Conservative
    North Carolina (15) -- 89% liberal (R), 62% moderate (R) , 70% conservative (R), 80% (I)
    Ohio (1 -- 65% (R)
    Oklahoma (7) -- 75% (R)
    Oregon (7) -- 70% (R), 72% (I)
    Pennsylvania (20) -- 68% (R), 76% (I)
    Rhode Island (4) -- 71% liberal (R), 63% moderate (R), 35% conservative (R), 78% (I),
    South Carolina ( -- 64% (R)
    South Dakota (3) -- 67% (R)
    Tennessee (11) -- 73% (R)
    Utah (6) -- 66% (R)
    Vermont (3) -- 61% (R)
    Virginia (13) -- 76% liberal (R), 63% moderate (R), 54% conservative (R)
    Washington (12) -- 65% (R)
    West Virginia (5) -- 75% (R)
    Wisconsin (10) -- 63% (R), 67% (I)
    Wyoming (3) –66% (R), 72% (I)
    http://nationalpopularvote.com/pages/polls.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12