Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Counter-rallies against illegal immigration this Weekend GA

Denis O'Hayer reports
    NBC TV 12

Organizers of two separate immigration counter-rallies say they don't know how many people to expect at the state Capitol on Saturday and Monday.

They are responding to last Monday’s huge march in support of legal status for illegal immigrants.

“I was watching the march, and the more I saw, the more angry I got,” said Donna Walker.

Walker says she has never organized a rally. But after Monday's march, she says she called a few friends and colleagues.

“And they said we need to do something,” Walker said.

They don’t even have a group name. They printed some fliers, and got permission for a counter-rally at the Capitol on Saturday.

Walker’s issues with Monday’s marchers -- Untaxed money leaving the U.S., and cheap labor she said employers exploit. So she says folks at her rally can do more than chant slogans.

“We can report the employers. We'll have paperwork there, forms there. We'll tell you how to report it,” Walker said.

There's another counter-rally scheduled for next Monday organized by activist D.A. King.

Organizers of the two counter-rallies at the state Capitol say they don't expect to draw anywhere near the tens of thousands who showed up for the immigrants' rights march along Buford Highway. Still, they say the organizers of that big march miscalculated.

“And I don't think they had any idea what they were really stirring up,” said Walker.

Jerry Gonzalez, one of the organizers of last Monday’s march disagreed with Walker’s sentiment.

“I don't think there was a miscalculation on that,” Gonzalez said.

Gonzales said last Monday’s march was about respect for workers that he called essential.

“What would our poultry industry do without that capacity? What would our Vidalia onions look like without that capacity?” Gonzalez asked.

He said the march succeeded.

“We did a very effective job of communicating our message through the immigrant community of what it means to be in this country,” said Gonzalez.

On both sides, the everyday folks are now involved in the dialogue.

On Thursday, Gov. Sonny Perdue indicated once again that he will sign a bill that restricts state services for illegal immigrants.

Walker's rally is scheduled for 3 p.m. on Saturday. King's rally is scheduled for Monday at 12 noon.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/geor ... ryid=78573
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

“We did a very effective job of communicating our message through the immigrant community of what it means to be in this country,” said Gonzalez.
    DID YOU EVER!!! THANKS!!