October 13, 2009

Congressman Pete Sessions, 32nd District of Texas

Immigration Reform News
An Update from Washington, DC
Fall 2009

Health Care for Illegal Immigrants

Although health care reform and cap-and-trade legislation have dominated the debate in Washington, DC since President Barack Obama took office earlier this year, concerns regarding illegal immigration remain a significant issue and must be addressed by Congress. This was evident last month when it was suggested that illegal immigrants would have access to a government-run health care option. Although the authors of the current health care bills being debated claim that no illegal immigrant would receive benefits under their reform plans, I do not believe this issue has been adequately addressed. The American people have made it clear that they do not believe illegal immigrants should receive benefits in a government-run health care option; I strongly agree.

I will oppose the Democrats’ health care reform bill for a number of reasons – including the possibility that illegal immigrants might receive benefits. While the language in the bill is vague on this issue, my colleagues and I remain concerned that the legislation will lack identification measures to prevent illegal immigrants from signing up for the system. When my colleagues on the other side of the aisle had the opportunity to address this issue and clarify who would be eligible for benefits, they chose not to.

During the debate on America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 (H.R.3200) Congressman Nathan Deal (R-GA) offered an amendment in the Energy and Commerce Committee that would have required that the millions of new people who would be automatically enrolled in Medicaid in the proposed legislation demonstrate that they are American citizens. This common-sense amendment was defeated by the Democrat-controlled committee. However, my Republican colleagues and remain committed to bringing transparency to this issue when the health care legislation comes to the House floor for a vote.

Terror Plot in Dallas

Last month’s flurry of foiled terror plots – both in Dallas and across the country – have highlighted the need to reform our immigration system and ensure that those who seek to harm the United States do not have the opportunity to enter the country.

On September 24, 2009, Hosam Maher Husein Smadi, a Jordanian man, was arrested and accused of attempting to blow up an office building in downtown Dallas. Mr. Smadi was taken into custody after he tried to detonate explosives in the parking garage of the building. The explosives were fake and had been provided to Mr. Smadi by federal agents as part of a sting operation. Agents had been monitoring him after he posted his intent to wage ‘jihad’ against Americans on an extremist website and pledged allegiance to Osama Bin Laden. According to news reports, Hosam Maher Husein Smadi was living in the United States illegally but had entered legally with a visa.

Immigrants who overstay their visas are a major problem in our current immigration system and there are limited enforcement measures to address this issue. That is why I have been a strong advocate of fully implementing the exit portion of the US-VISIT system, which would make it easier to account for those who have left the country when their visas expire and those who remain in the country illegally.

New Leadership at DHS

As you know, President Obama appointed Janet Napolitano as Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Although there is new leadership at DHS and a new Administration, I will continue to demand that immigration laws be enforced. I have always advocated for the Rule of Law and believe that this is necessary in protecting the interest of American citizens and keeping our country safe.

I will continue to advocate on your behalf in Washington, DC on the issue of immigration. I would also like to serve as a resource to you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact my Legislative Assistant Evan Shoop at 202.225.2231 or email her at Evan.Shoop@mail.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Pete Sessions

Contact Information

Washington D.C. Office:
Congressman Pete Sessions
2233 Rayburn House Bldg.
Washington, DC 20515-4332
(202) 225-2231
(202) 225-5878 fax

Dallas, TX Office:
Congressman Pete Sessions
Park Central VII