Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NumbersUSA Action Alert

From: Roy Beck <ImmigrationInfo@numbersusa.com> Add to Address Book
    Date: 2006/04/24 Mon AM 02:20:57 EDT
    Subject: Getting our goals clear

.t1generaltext { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; color: #000000; padding-top: 3px; padding-right: 5px; padding-bottom: 3px; padding-left: 5px; margin: 0px; } >
    Date: Saturday 22APR06 10:30 p.m. EDT

Thoughts on polls, goals, Oregon coast, Earth Day & Congress

AMERICANS ARE WITH US IN GENERAL . . .

. . . BUT THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT OVERALL IMMIGRATION NUMBERS MUST BE DRAMATICALLY REDUCED TO SAVE AND IMPROVE OUR QUALITY OF LIFE

The latest Gallup poll shows something that I have longed to see during 15 years of working full-time for immigration reductions:

When asked the No. 1 most important issue facing the U.S., Americans put "immigration" in the top three!

The issue is now ripe for all of us to leverage for positive policy changes (but also for the open borders people to turn to THEIR advantage). More about that later.

OREGON SHOWING STRAIN OF IMMIGRATION POLICIES

On this Earth Day, my mind is on Oregon as a prime example of how the U.S. Congress -- particularly the Senate -- is using immigration to systematically destroy much of what is wonderful about America.

A week ago, I returned from my first extended visit to Oregon (for business and some pleasure). The state is every bit as beautiful and awesome as the travel brochures suggest.

But it is also a lot uglier and more in danger than you would hope to find.

Population growth in Oregon indeed is steadily "Californicating" the landscape and the quality of life of average Oregonians.

Until a year ago, Oregon was widely touted as having the most advanced efforts to control sprawl in the nation. But, in fact, sprawl is everywhere because when large numbers of people continue to move into your state, they create an unstoppable demand for housing, transportation, employment, commercial and recreational opportunities that require more and more land to be scraped and paved.

I drove down the central valley of the state during the middle of a weekday and never got out of clogged traffic, and rarely was out of eye-sight of new subdivisions. It is not difficult to imagine Portland, Salem and Eugene soon being connected into one long suburban mass like the ugly megalopolises of California and of the Mid-Atlantic coast. If the population boom continues, there will be little choice.

The wonder-filled coast on the southern end of the state still has the feel of being undiscovered. But driving northward, I found myself by the middle of the coast incredibly saddened to see a march of sub-divisions that is as breathtaking in its scale as are the timber clear-cuts that are part of the view from the highways much of the time.

Rising immigration in Oregon is part of its population boom. But the biggest part is the exodus of Americans from other states and localities(especially California) where 40 years of mass immigration have created a congestion and deterioration that Americans there will no longer accept.

Every quaint and relatively undisturbed section of this country is in grave danger around the corner if the federal government continues to add nearly 3 million people a year (new immigrants and births to immigrants). California, Arizona, Illinois, Texas, Florida, New Jersey, New York and Washington DC -- the prime destinations for immigrants -- simply will no longer be able to provide the quality of life that most Americans crave. Both natives and immigrants increasingly will seek relief in places like Oregon. In the process, places like Oregon will cease to exist in a form that would be familiar to somebody who lived there at the time of the first Earth Day in 1970.

OREGON'S TWO SENATORS ENTHUSIASTICALLY BACKING THEIR STATE'S ENVIRONMENTAL DESTRUCTION

It should be relatively clear that Oregon will continue to lose its heritage as long as its population explodes, and that the state population will continue to explode as long as the federal government forces massive immigration into the country.

But Oregon's two U.S. Senators act as if they have no concept of these connections.

Republican Sen. Gordon Smith has an "F" on his Immigration-Reduction Grade Card for his actions in the previous and current Congresses. He has done almost nothing that would slow immigration-fueled population growth.

Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden is barely any better with a "D-minus" grade. I'm sure it will drop lower once we add the pre-Easter Senate votes to the Grade Cards. Sen. Wyden twice voted for procedural motions designed to pass bills that would allow around 30 million permanent green cards to foreign workers, immigrants and dependents over the next decade alone, compared to the 10 million that would be extended under current bloated numbers.

A sad thing about Wyden is that he touts himself as an ardent protector and champion of environmental resources. Yet, he has been part of the process of forcing the current level of immigration that is resulting in the destruction of around 1 million acres of natural habitat and farmland each year. But this level of destruction apparently is still not high enough as Wyden has been pushing these giant increases of immigration that would force today's 300 million population over the half-BILLION mark around mid-century.

In fact, Oregonians have overwhelmingly chosen people to represent them in Congress who will hasten the destruction of the very qualities they claim to love about their state.

Rep. Blumenauer (D-OR) has earned an "F-minus" immigration-reduction grade. Rep. Wu (D-OR) earned a "D-minus," while Rep. Hooley earned a "D-plus."

The only officials working to protect Oregon from the population explosion are Rep. DeFazio (D-OR) and Rep. Walden (R-OR) with "B" grades.

But there is not a true environmental champion (earning an "A") among the whole delegation at this moment.

Look up your Senators' Grade Cards to see whether they are also part of this immigration program that is systematically chewing up the open spaces of this country, while congesting the daily lives of Americans.

To see the grades, just click on this:

in this email:
    Mostly on this Earth Day, I want to emphasize that federal immigration policies are the greatest current threats to our American environmental resources. Politicians who are pushing even higher immigration have to be considered the true Environmental Villains of this Earth Day.

I know that Earth Day elicits a negative reaction from some of you who see environmentalism as an excuse for government intrusiveness. And many of you are suspicious of the broader ideological motivations of some of the participants.

Others of you have celebrated this Earth Day for its special attention to assessing the health of our nation's natural resources -- and the health of ecosystems upon which we human residents depend.

On environmental issues -- as on most issues -- NumbersUSA's members range across the spectrum. Unlike nearly all other national "cause" organizations, NumbersUSA's membership comes from all segments of Americans, from liberal to conservative, from libertarian to populist, from secular to pious, from labor to business, and all points in between -- united primarily by our desire to fight illegal immigration and to reduce overall immigration.

But wherever you fall on the political spectrum, I imagine that you agree with us at NumbersUSA in opposing the federal government using immigration to cram another 100 million people into our communities the next few decades. Our own studies of government data show that even under current levels immigration will cause the scraping and paving of more than 1 million acres of natural habitat, open spaces and farmland each year.

We are horrified at that much environmental destruction simply so some business interests can have public-subsidized foreign labor and so some political interests can get public-subsidized extra voters.

My Earth Day musings in this email suggest even more reasons why the banner-links I sent you Friday need to be exposed to millions of Americans by persuading hundreds of websites to post them.

Click on this banner-link to our Grade Card web pages:

These pages tell you which Members of Congress are creating the immigration mess.

Then click on the next banner-link to see our Candidates pages:

These pages show which candidates have pledged to clean up the mess.

Anybody who professes to care about the protection of wildlife, natural habitat, open spaces and farmland needs to consult these webpages that show which Members of Congress have most used high immigration to deplete, destroy and devastate the natural riches of this country.

Send the following link to all websites and talk shows that you believe are interested in returning to sensible immigration policies:

numbersusa.com/bannerkit.html
    People with websites will know what to do once they open that link.
    actions in brief:
    Refer all friends to the NumbersUSA.com website.

Check for your latest free faxes to send to Congress & the Administration at:
    NumbersUSA.com/actionbuffet
    donate now:
    This faxing system is 100% financed by the voluntary generosity of the 140,000-
    plus Americans who use it.

Please click here to make any sized donation to keep this grassroots phenomenon strong and effective.

APPLY THESE ARGUMENTS TO YOUR OWN STATES

Obviously, I go into all this detail about Oregon to help all of you in all of your states to see how to approach your C, D and F Members of Congress about their commitment to protecting the natural environment and the human quality of life in your state.

In your visits to Senators' home-state offices (please don't stop), in your phone calls and in the unique comments you write in your faxes, remind them of the environmental consequences of immigration decisions.

If you want to have more details, more facts and more citations, go to our website:

www.SprawlCity.org

ONLY OVERALL NUMBERS REDUCTIONS WILL LESSEN THESE ATTACKS ON THE ENVIRONMENT AND QUALITY OF LIFE

I said I would get back to the polls.

For years, I have heard commentators say that no matter how many Americans got worked up about our out-of-control immigration, politicians would be unlikely to respond to them because immigration wasn't one of the top three issues named as the No. 1 concern of Americans in polls. It usually has barely made it into the top ten of No. 1 concerns mentioned.

A month ago, 6% of Americans (about as high as it has ever risen) named it as No. 1.

But last week, 19% of Americans said "immigration" is their top concern.

Only the Iraq war at 25% was mentioned by more people.

"Fuel cost" also shot up out of nowhere to place third with 11%. "General economy" concerns were mentioned by 10%; "Dissatisfaction with government" by 8%; "Unemployment" by 6% as were "Education," "Terrorism," and "Health Care."

Immigration is the second most important No. 1 issue among:
    Whites

Non-Whites

Easterners

Midwesterners

Southerners

Urbanites

Suburbanites

Rural Residents
    And it is the top No. 1 issue among Westerners.

This is the time when all of your efforts are most important in terms of what they can leverage.

We have the nation's attention, but Americans are not nearly as educated and prepared as you to know what they should do. I'm sure you have been dismayed by many news reports of polls showing the majority of Americans supporting some kind of path to citizenship for illegal aliens, while at the same time saying we need to get far more tough on illegal immigration.

Those polls are a sign of how confused most Americans can become as the news media primarily gives them options between mass roundups and deportations on the one hand or some kind of amnesty on the other hand.

I can assure you that solid, professional polling (that hasn't gotten much media publicity) is finding that most Americans oppose amnesties if the poll questions are worded in a more legitimate way.

But most Americans don't understand that most of our problems from immigration are related to the fact that since 1990 we have averaged about 1 million legal immigrants a year -- compared to only about 250,000 a year traditionally (from 1776 to 1976) and fairly recently (the 1950s and 1960s).

Legalizing illegal aliens won't solve the problem. Even totally stopping illegal immigration won't solve the problem. Certainly, increasing legal immigration won't solve the problem.

The natural resources and the human quality of life in this country won't get any relief until Congress begins dramatically cutting the total immigration numbers.

I know that many of you signed up with us while thinking that the only or main concern was stopping illegal immigration.

But the Census Bureau projects that even if we are successful in moving net illegal immigration to zero, current legal immigration numbers will still add another 100 million people to our communities over the next several decades.

Our rally cry to Members of Congress at the moment must constantly be:

NO IMMIGRATION INCREASES OF ANY KIND

WE NEED IMMIGRATION REDUCTIONS -- NOT INCREASES

DESECRATING THE FORESIGHT AND PUBLIC SERVICE OF OUR CIVIC HEROES

At nearly every roadside scenic pullover in Oregon, it seems, there is a plaque honoring some far-sighted Oregonian who decades ago -- often a century -- realized that the beauty and inspiration of their natural landscape that meant so much to them should be saved for future generations.

There also are references to truly villainous people who -- if they'd had their way -- would have been the last generation to experience some of those natural wonders.

One of the most ghastly examples was of Oregonians who would buy tickets on big boats on Sunday afternoons to cruise around some of the "sea stack" islands while the passengers target practice, killing thousands of birds at a time.

I am sure that none of your Members of Congress could imagine themselves condoning such loutish behavior. But those Members who are insisting on using immigration to force population growth that is scraping and paving more than 1 million acres of open space a year don't strike me as having much more of an environmental ethic or a concern for future generations.

I am tempted to ask them why they despise future generations of Americans. But I really don't think most of these forced-population-explosion Members of Congress have thought it through -- or even thought at all.

It is your job to persist and persist and persist until your Members of Congress feel forced into doing some of that thinking.

THANKS FOR ALL THAT YOU DO,

-- ROY

Do you want more or less information?
    Do you want fewer emails or to UNSUBSCRIBE from receiving any emails?

As a member of the NumbersUSA Action Network, you have four options about how much email and Alerts you get from us. You can change the frequency of our communication with you at any time by clicking here to go to your Registration Form. There you can choose among Total Activism, Moderate Activism, Limited Activism or No Email. If you feel like you are not getting enough information from us, be sure to change your registration to TOTAL ACTIVISM.

Update your NumbersUSA Interest Survey This may be a good time for you to make sure that you've let us know all of the areas of immigration reform in which you are interested. Click here to further customize your Interest Survey and the type of alerts you receive from us.

P.S. NumbersUSA's financial management meets all the criteria of the IRS as a
    non-partisan, non-profit organization, and as an authorized charity of the
    Combined Federal Campaign. Handling of donations is overseen and held
    accountable by a Board of independent directors and by independent Auditors.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

i dont like this bird flu virus coming across mexican border

we are un able to do anything about this we let our goverment turn their heads on border security now did they no this and not tell us this might take as much as 150 to 200 million of us it is to late to stop this new and unwarned act of terrorist and we have as many as 20 thousand terrorist in this country ready to do us in as soon as they get enough of the bird flu virus to spray in all citys were they can get as manyof us as they can i am sick of thinking that the goverment let this happen to this country all i can say is we need to get mask and rubber gloves god bless everyone