Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

[color=darkred]Congressman: Maher's Remark "borders on

May 23, 2005

Congressman: Maher's Remark "borders on Treason"
    By Jeffrey McMurray
    Associated Press Writer

This story can be found at: http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBZ8XRA39E.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - A congressman says comedian Bill Maher's comment that the U.S. military has already recruited all the "low-lying fruit" is possibly treasonous and at least grounds to cancel the show.

Rep. Spencer Bachus, R-Ala., takes issue with remarks on HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher, first aired May 13, in which Maher points out the Army missed its recruiting goal by 42 percent in April.

"More people joined the Michael Jackson fan club," Maher said. "We've done picked all the low-lying Lynndie England fruit, and now we need warm bodies."

Army Reserve Pfc. England was accused of abusing prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

"I think it borders on treason," Bachus said. "In treason, one definition is to undermine the effort or national security of our country."
    In a statement released Monday night, Maher defended his support for the American armed forces.

"Anyone who knows anything about my views and has watched my show knows that I have nothing but the highest regard for the men and women serving this country around the world," Maher said in the statement.

Bachus said he was appalled after watching a rerun of the show shortly after returning from a visit to Germany, in which he met with a paralyzed American soldier in the hospital. He has since written to Time Warner, HBO's parent company.

"I don't want (Maher) prosecuted," Bachus said. "I want him off the air."

Numerous television stations pulled Maher's previous show, "Politically Incorrect," from the air in September 2001 after he argued terrorists weren't cowards when they slammed airplanes into the World Trade Center a week earlier. Maher later apologized.

AP-ES-05-23-05 1855EDT
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Bill Maher is suffering from a mental defect. He thinks he's funny, and will say anything to try to get a laugh. Alot of comedians will say anything to get a laugh. The difference is, they get a laugh and Bill Maher, because he didn't the laugh, gets fired.

Bill Maher doesn't know comedy....he knows crude, rude, insensitive, heartless, stupid, dumb, cruel.

Therefore, he's not funny and is washed up in the funny business.

He needs to be removed from the air and it's okay with me to try him for Treason.

Go Congressman!!!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Bill Maher is suffering from a mental defect. He thinks he's funny, and will say anything to try to get a laugh. Alot of comedians will say anything to get a laugh. The difference is, they get a laugh and Bill Maher, because he didn't the laugh, gets fired.

Bill Maher doesn't know comedy....he knows crude, rude, insensitive, heartless, stupid, dumb, cruel.

Therefore, he's not funny and is washed up in the funny business.

He needs to be removed from the air and it's okay with me to try him for Treason.

Go Congressman!!!!
    This is what he has to say about men and women that are dying every MINUTE in war. I will never watch him on t.v. again. We need to write HBO and tell them to take him off the air as well. That's all I can say here!!!
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

SIXX--I don't have HBO....write them a letter and threaten to cancel HBO subscription. Do you have an email? All HBO subscribers should write and threaten to cancel.

Bill Maher has "bothered" me ever since that ridiculous show "Politically Incorrect". The man is defective.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn