Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

10% of entire prison population are eligible for deportation

10% of entire prison population are immigrants eligible for deportation

According to Julie Myers, head of Immigration and Customs Enforcement ("ICE"), around 10% of the total U.S. prison population are immigrants who could be deported ( http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/28/washi ... wanted=all ).

In order to avoid confusion (see the David Leonhardt/New York Times smear of Lou Dobbs: http://lonewacko.com/blog/archives/006719.html ), it's important to note that that doesn't just include federal prisons but all prisons and jails at the federal, state and local level. And, it also includes persons in various immigration statuses who are eligible for deportation, not just those who were illegal aliens at the time of committing the crime.

Myers presented her plans to work to deport those criminals to the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Homeland Security, and estimated that the cost could be over $2 billion per year. Her plan involves information sharing between various agencies.

Both Reps. David Price (D-NC) and Harold Rogers (R-KY) seem to support deporting the criminals, with the former raising questions about the efficacy of her plan and the latter saying just that the plan needs work. The fact that a Democrat is raising questions raises questions of its own, but on the other hand the plan is coming from Myers so there probably are some issues with it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Unbelievable. Can you imagine what we could do with the billions spent incarcerating these IAs who wouldn't be here if our borders were secured? Better roads, new schools etc.

And yet the madness continues.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There really are not many GOOD reasons not to do it.

Basic economics: it costs MUCH, MUCH more to incarcerate someone in an institution for a year (likely much longer for most cases...), than it does to buy them a plane ticket back to their country of origin.

The one concern I have in doing this, is the question of how many will try to sneak back in later - having real border security would successfully keep many of those out, but, in the meanwhile.....?

And, it has been said, that the US has the greatest proportion of it's citizens locked up in institutions... However, when I hear that, I think - but, you know, many of those locked up aren't our citizens....!

Those same people probably do need to be locked up somewhere, just not here.

Hmmm...from what Ive heard in the past these numbers do not add up. If the total crime in the US is commited by IA's then likely there are at least that many in prison, so where is the 10% figure from? Sounds pretty conservative to me!

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    Hmmm...from what Ive heard in the past these numbers do not add up. If the total crime in the US is commited by IA's then likely there are at least that many in prison, so where is the 10% figure from? Sounds pretty conservative to me!
    IT IS...IT'S COMING FROM A GOVERNMENT BUREAUCRAT.

oops...I meant to say I heard 30% of the total crime is commited by IA's...