http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=47470

13 Arrested on Immigration Charges Thanks to Aiken Employer

(Columbia) - United States Attorney Reginald I. Lloyd and Aiken County Sheriff Michael Hunt said today that 13 people were arrested last week for using false green cards to obtain employment at an Aiken County business.

All 13 were charged in separate indictments with fraud and misuse of immigration documents. All made appearances in federal court and are being detained awaiting trial on $250,000.00 secured bonds.

Officials say the investigation began last year when an individual inquired into the availability of unemployment benefits, but was advised that she did not qualify due to her reported employment at Carlisle Tire and Wheel in Aiken County. The woman, who was not employed at Carlisle, contacted the Aiken County Sheriff's Office and reported the identity theft. County investigators forwarded the information to federal authorities, who obtained Carlisle employment records for the suspect employee, including a copy of the Alien Registration Receipt Card, or Green Card, that was part of the file.

Agents with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) say they examined the card and declared it to be counterfeit.

Following the arrest of that employee, Carlisle officials requested ICE to review immigration documents provided by other employees. That review exposed the fraudulent green cards in this case.

All 13 individuals were indicted as "John Doe" or "Jane Doe," along with the name listed on their counterfeit Green Card.

Lloyd said, "I want to thank the dedicated men and women of the federal and local agencies that came together to investigate this case. I also want to recognize and thank Carlisle Tire and Wheel in Aiken County for its vigilance, cooperation, and assistance in this investigation."

"Carlisle's pro-active efforts in this matter are highly commendable."

Hunt said, "While illegal immigration is a national issue, it's also a matter of concern for the citizens of Aiken County. I am proud of the investigators and deputies at the Aiken County Sheriff's Office for their efforts in this case, and look forward to working alongside the U.S. Attorney's Office and their federal partners in future investigations."

The case was investigated by agents of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the United States Secret Service, Social Security Administration-Office of Inspector General, the United States Marshal, the Aiken County Sheriff's Office, and the Aiken Department of Public Safety.

Return to Homepage Copyright 2006 WLTX-TV Terms of Service