Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 15 Chinese Nationals Indicted In Pittsburgh-Area College Test Fraud

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

15 Chinese Nationals Indicted In Pittsburgh-Area College Test Fraud

The students hired imposters to take their tests and outfitted them with fake passports

By Justin Heinze (Patch Staff) May 28, 2015

Fifteen Chinese nationals are being charged in connection to a fraudulent college test-taking scheme near Pittsburgh which also involved fake passports, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement announced Thursday.

The suspects allegedly had imposters take college and graduate school standardized entrance exams, including but not limited to the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), and the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), U.S. Customs said.

The conspirators allegedly had fake Chinese passports made and sent to the United States, U.S. Customs said, which were then used to trick test administrators into thinking they were other people.

The “majority” of the fraudulent exams were taken in western Pennsylvania, including a testing site in Monroeville, according to investigators.

“These students were not only cheating their way into the university, they were also cheating their way through our nation’s immigration system,” said John Kelleghan, Homeland Security Investigations Philadelphia special agent in charge. “HSI will continue to protect our nation’s borders and work with our federal law enforcement partners to seek out those committing transnational crimes and bring them to justice.”

Twelve individuals were identified in the indictment: Han Tong, Xi Fu, Xiaojin Guo, Yudong Zhang, Yue Zou, Biyuan Li (aka “Jack Li”), Jia Song, Ning Wei, Gong Zhang, Songling Peng, Siyuan Zhao and Yunlin Sun. Three more names remain under seal, U.S. Customs said.

The investigation was the result of a joint effort between U.S. Customs, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the State Department’s Diplomatic Security Service (DSS).

The law provides for a maximum total sentence of 20 years in prison and a fine of $250,000 or both for each count of wire and mail fraud, 10 years in prison and a fine of $250,000 or both for each count of counterfeiting foreign passports, and five years in prison with a fine of $250,000 or both for conspiracy.

Assistant U.S. Attorney James T. Kitchen will prosecute the case.

http://patch.com/pennsylvania/pine-r...irc_side_local
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I surely felt more secure, as well as safer. B.C. For this application B.C. refers to "Before Computers." I never worried myself about someone hacking my bank or credit accounts. Matter of fact I never worried about my Social Security number. I did not worry about the Chinese manufacturing American ID. What was it that I gained from computers, again? I misplaced my book of computer benefits.