Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

22 who skipped work for protest fired

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4769435

22 who skipped work for protest fired

TYLER, Texas A Lindale company says it fired 22 workers because they didn't follow company policy when taking off to attend an immigration protest.

Benchmark Manufacturing Inc., which makes air conditioning parts, fired the workers after they attended a rally Monday in downtown Tyler.

The company said in a statement that the workers didn't follow rules that require them to ask for the day off or give notice that they'd be absent.

But rally organizer Jose Sanchez, who's also a Longview lawyer, says the workers may have been unaware of company policy -- either because they never got employee handbooks or couldn't read the rules in English.

Attempts by The Associated Press to reach Benchmark Manufacturing tonight were unsuccessful.

Illegal Workers Say Company Knew Of Fake Documents

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4768877&nav=1TjD

Illegal Workers Say Company Knew Of Fake Documents

They used fake documents to get their jobs, and they say the company they worked for, Benchmark Manufacturing knew it. Wednesday night, we told you about 22 illegal immigrants that were fired from that company after attending Monday's immigration rally. After the story aired, many of you wrote us e-mails, wanting to know specifically what the laws are regarding employment. KLTV 7 found out.

"You're not required to be a document examiner, but if you find out that somebody has shown you a phony card, then you fall over into another category and you're subject to sanctions, civil fines in the event that you do employ illegals," said immigration attorney Don Patterson. Patterson says employers are not liable for verifying the authenticity of documents they're provided with, but could face penalties if caught.

That's what Maria Rodriguez is accusing her employer of Benchmark Manufacturing in Lindale. She say the company asked for her social security card and a form of ID when she applied for a job, but she gave them false documents and they knew it. "Most of the Mexicans who are there don't have a social security card, not even the supervisor," said Rodriguez, who had worked for Benchmark Manufacturing for four years.

Maria says, at one point, Benchmark was approached about the fake IDs. "From the social security office, they found out and they sent them a letter saying that our cards were no good," said Rodriguez. Patterson says it's tricky to separate the real documents from the take ones. "All they have to do is look at them and if they look proper, that's all they have to do. They don't have to be a document examiner. They don't have to go and run some kind of test," said Patterson.

He says, if a company is caught, the rules are minimally enforced. Patterson says, even though the documents were fake, the government takes taxes out of the paychecks of illegal immigrants. KLTV 7 News contacted Benchmark Manufacturing for comment, but those we spoke with declined.

Oralia Ortega reporting, ortega@kltv.com

I can't believe these people!! not only are they here 'illegally' and protesting in OUR streets demanding OUR government legalize them, they openly admit impersonating a U.S. citiizen, making false statements, forgery, identity theft, etc. -- yep, these are just 'law abiding citizens'
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4763704&nav=1TjD

4/12/06-Tyler
    Immigrants Fired For Skipping Work To Protest

<------- W H I N E R S who think the rules don't apply to them!

"He never told us he was going to fire us. He just laughed, and he told me that was for lazy people."

When 22 year old Teresa Curiel heard about Monday's rally in Tyler, she and 21 other employees wanted to go. All of them are undocumented. She says she asked her supervisor at Benchmark Manufacturing for permission on behalf of all the employees last Thursday.

Another employee, Maria Rodriguez said "Another lady said, 'What if they fire us?' And I told her, 'No, they won't fire us. They're only going to give us a sheet to sign, because those are the rules that they told us. That if we didn't let them know we were going to miss work, they'd give us a warning sheet," Rodriguez said.

That's the punishment they were prepared for, but it's not what happened. They say, around 10 o'clock Monday morning, all of them found out they were fired.

Benchmark Manufacturing declined our request for an interview, but they did issue this written statement.

"The employee handbook says employees who are going to be absent, must notify the office by 9 a.m. Otherwise it's considered an unauthorized absence, which is grounds for termination. This issue is not about going to the rally, it is about following the company policies that govern every employee."

These women say they've never seen that handbook. Otherwise, they may have reconsidered.

"The money that I made helped, because I earned a little, and my husband earned a little, and then we'd make it. But now that I don't have work, I don't know how I am going to help my husband," Rodriguez said.

All of the women have begun looking for other jobs, but they say it is a difficult and sometimes unnerving task, because they don't have papers.

Lindsay Wilcox/Reporting: lwilcox@kltv.com

That's the punishment they were prepared for, but it's not what happened. They say, around 10 o'clock Monday morning, all of them found out they were fired.
    welcome to America!! -- job abandonment is NOT a protected activity under any federal or state law

does anybody else see the poetic justice in this?

"After Katrina, our company had 70 workers on the job the first day, but the companies decided they didn't need them anymore because the Mexicans had arrived," Mrs. Swope said. "I assure you it is not true that Americans don't want to work. . . . "When we told the guys they would not be needed, they actually cried ... and we cried with them. This is a shame."
    these guys didn't protest in the streets nor did they expect 'special treatment'
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Too bad they weren't working for Tysons.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Another instance of illegal aliens thinking they are special and above the rules that citizens of this country must follow. The company should be fined for hiring these illegal aliens. The fact that they cannot read or speak english should be a sign to these employers to double check their papers before hiring them.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Another company to add to wehirealiens.com.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Here's the contact info for Benchmark Manufacturing. Maybe you can let them know how you feel about them hiring illegal aliens and reportedly knowing the documents were fake!

The only e-mail address is for the sales department: sales@benchmarkcoils.com

Benchmark Manufacturing, Inc. • P.O. Box 2170 • 211 South Industrial • Lindale, TX 75771
    Ph: (903) 882-4311 • Fax: (903) 882-1444

Quote Originally Posted by WavTek
    Another company to add to wehirealiens.com.
    Consider it done. I don't know how long it takes to update.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast