Published: July 3, 2010
Updated: 9:39 a.m.

300 foreign-born U.S. warriors now citizens

By FRED SWEGLES
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

For Marine Lance Cpl. Douglas Robinson of Irvine, this Fourth of July weekend will be unlike any other in his 23 years.

For Bill Smith and Pete Limon of San Clemente, the holiday will carry a new appreciation of the foreign-born warriors in America's fighting forces. For Tibor Rubin of Garden Grove, the holiday exemplifies what it means to be an "Outstanding American by Choice."

Robinson, born in South Africa, was one of 300 active-duty military personnel awarded citizenship Friday in the largest mass swearing-in ceremony of its kind. This one, aboard the USS Midway in San Diego, eclipsed the previous record of 241 foreign-born military members who took the oath of citizenship at a ceremony last year.

"God bless all those people," said Smith, 86, a Marine Corps survivor of the World War II battle for Iwo Jima. "I'm sorry I can't go shake each one of their hands and congratulate them."

Smith, an invited guest Friday, was introduced to the citizens-to-be and thanked for his service. Beside him was his friend Limon, also 86 and a survivor of Pearl Harbor.

Holocaust survivor Rubin, 81, a Hungarian-born immigrant, Korean War hero and Medal of Honor winner, was introduced, his story told and he was presented with an "Outstanding American by Choice" award, an example for the 300 new citizens.

Those 300 new citizens, from 56 countries, represent every branch of the U.S. military. About one-third are Marines, officials said.

"At Camp Pendleton we presently have over 1,700 noncitizens serving as Marines," the base's commanding officer, Col. Nicholas Marano, told Friday's guests aboard the Midway.

"I'm sure that if I polled the audience here today – how many of you have deployed already in support of your country – it would probably be at least a third and perhaps over half," Marano said. "Seventeen-hundred noncitizen Marines. That's almost the equivalent of two entire infantry battalions."

Robinson said he lives in the barracks at Camp Pendleton. He hopes to become a career officer. Having come to America at age 9, he carries no trace of a South African accent. "I lost it pretty quickly," he said. "I was eager to be an American since Day 1."

On Friday, the new citizens lined up on the Midway's flight deck to turn in their green cards and fill out papers converting their Social Security status from resident to citizen.

"It means everything," Robinson said. "There are a few days that stand out in your life. I remember when I got my eagle, globe and anchor in boot camp and when I swore in to join the service. This is going to be one of those days ... a landmark in your life."

Robinson's father, Leonard, said, "This is wonderful ... my son becomes a citizen before me."

He said he and his wife, Tanya, expect to become U.S. citizens next year. "I work for a ministry called Open Doors," he said. "We work in countries where Christians are persecuted, so we see the generosity of Americans, how they help around the world. That's what drew me here in the first place."

Tanya Robinson said they would celebrate their son's citizenship this weekend with a cake and dinner. "We're going to really just reflect on those who are still fighting for our freedom," she said.
Contact the writer: fswegles@ocregister.com or 949-492-

http://www.ocregister.com/news/robinson ... y-one.html