Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

84 House Republicans Support Legalizing Undocumented Workers

11:11 AM, Sep 30, 2013 • By MARIA SANTOS
    The Weekly Standard

When two Republicans, Sam Johnson and John Carter, deserted a bipartisan immigration reform group this month, the death knell did not sound for immigration reform. One group may have collapsed, but 84 House Republicans have publicly voiced support for granting some type of legal status to the 11 million immigrants here in the country illegally, and 20 others have said they would be willing to consider it—many more than what most media reports suggest.

Other tallies only account for members who have explicitly endorsed a path to citizenship. America’s Voice, a liberal immigration group, lists 26 Republicans who support “immigration reform and citizenship,” leaving out the dozens of others who would support giving undocumented workers legal status short of citizenship.

These Republicans don’t want immigrants here illegally to receive a “special” new pathway to citizenship, but are willing to document them and allow them to stay and work. This means that they would not have to leave the country, but would not be guaranteed citizenship. “The folks who want to have a path to citizenship have held everything else hostage,” Bob Goodlatte, chairman of the Judiciary Committee (which reviews the House’s immigration bills) said recently. “Now we want to say, 'Look we understand what you want, but we think a legal status in the United States but not a special path to citizenship might be appropriate.'"

Even Republicans who once opposed legalization for the undocumented, like Frank Wolf, are relaxing their position. "In 1986,” he says, “I opposed legislation that granted amnesty to some illegal immigrants. We have seen that the measure did not work to keep people from violating our current immigration laws.” Now he says that he won’t deport people, and suggests “legalization in so far as you have worker permits and not citizenship.”

Often they support legalization because of the sheer impossibility of deporting millions of people. Pat Meehan (R-PA), a member of the Homeland Security Committee, for example, said earlier this summer that "we've got to figure out some kind of earned legal status for people who are here. It's impractical to assume that we're going to move 12 million people out of our borders."

They’re also listening to farmers and businessmen, who don’t want to lose their workers. Bill Huizenga (R-MI) told constituents, “Here’s the dirty little secret: We need them. We need them in agriculture.”

Some House Republicans, known for maintaining that illegal immigrants should not be rewarded for breaking the law, now speak of “reconciliation” with the law or “earned legalization.” “If there’s going to be a chance to create a legal path,” says Steve Southerland (R-FL) “there has to be a recognition of the wrong done.”

Most Republicans, however, demand increased border security as a prerequisite before any kind of immigration reform moves forward.

Whether liberal immigration advocates would cooperate with legalization short of citizenship is an open question. Recently a prominent advocate from America’s Voice said that “an architecture of ‘no special pathway to citizenship’—if the details were right—could be the basis for bipartisan negations [sic] in the House,” only to walk back his statements after the Wall Street Journal reported them. “To be clear,” he now claims, “I did not say or imply that legalization without citizenship is acceptable.”

Speaker John Boehner has said he will not bring up any bill that does not have majority support from at least 118 Republicans. Republicans will insist on securing the border and maintaining respect for the law, and most will refuse liberals’ calls for pathways to citizenship. But, with over 100 open to legalization, and still others who have not explicitly opposed it, a path to legalization might not be far away.

A full list of the representatives is below. Some may have since changed their minds, but all spoke positively of legalizing immigrants within the last year.

1. Don Young, AK

“Like our colleagues drafting the bill, we believe this legislation should secure our border, streamline our legal immigration system and provide a clear and responsible path to citizenship for those already here.” (Source)

2. Spencer Bachus, AL

"A path to citizenship is not popular in Alabama. However, I have stated - against public opinion in my state - that I am for a path to citizenship because I don't believe in second-class citizens." (Source)

3. Paul Gosar, AZ

“Reforming our immigration system to address the status of the 11 million people in our country illegally should focus on normalizing their legal status without access to federal benefits or a special pathway to citizenship.” (Joint op-ed with Schweikert and Salmon) (Source)

4. Matt Salmon, AZ

see Gosar, AZ

5. David Schweikert, AZ

see Gosar, AZ

6. Trent Franks, AZ

"Like many conservative House Republicans, he emphasized a preference for allowing undocumented immigrants to gain legal status over a direct path to citizenship. And he said legalization must not crowd out immigrants already in line for green cards." (Source)

7. Jeff Denham, CA

On supporting a pathway to citizenship: “Given the parameters that are in the Senate bill — yes,” Denham said. “My hesitation is that when I talk to people in my district, ‘a pathway to citizenship’ always means something different to different people.”’ (Source)

8. Devin Nunes, CA

“The Chronicle contacted every GOP House member from California. Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Tulare, was the only other Republican to support a pathway.” (Source)

9. Paul Cook, CA

“Paul Cook from the northern Mojave Desert… support[s] legalization, as long as a bill includes strict border and visa enforcement.” (Source)

10. David Valadao, CA

“‘Once you talk to the members and explain to them it's a process, where they can work for it, appreciate it and someday become citizens -- just like my parents did -- most members begin to understand,’ Valadao said.” (Source)

11. Darrell Issa, CA

“‘As we talk about who should remain and who should go, I think ultimately we have to be reasonable and realize we don’t want to have second-class citizens in our country,’ he told RCP. ‘If someone’s a guest worker or a temporary resident, that’s fine. But if somebody’s going to spend the rest of their life in this country, I believe that we need to have a clear pathway to citizenship, and we shouldn’t hide that.’” (Source)

12. Kevin McCarthy, CA

“Last week House Republican Whip Kevin McCarthy said he would support some form of earned legalization (but not a path to citizenship) for the 11 million illegal immigrants residing in the country.” (Source)

13. Ken Calvert, CA

“Rep. Ken Calvert (R-Corona), who once declared himself "wholeheartedly against amnesty," is among those now willing to consider granting legal status to some illegal immigrants, under specific conditions. "I have a number of people who say, 'hell no,' " said Calvert, whose district is 36% Latino. "But I have a lot more people who understand that we're not going to do mass deportations."” (Source)

14. Howard “Buck” McKeon, CA

“I would secure the border, I would come up with a program…to make everybody legal, give them some kind of status to bring them into the system. And then we have to follow the system.” (Source)

15. Gary Miller, CA

“When Orozco asked Miller whether he would support “earned legal status and citizenship for most of the 11 million undocumented immigrants,” the congressman responded, “What you said there is something I would agree with. You said earned. I think that’s appropriate.”” (Source)

16. John Campbell III, CA

“In an interview Friday, Campbell said he is “sympathetic and interested in a pathway to residency.” But he does not support the Senate-passed bill that would allow some 11 million people who are living here illegally the right to become citizens.” (Source)

17. Mike Coffman, CO

“Coffman said he believes comprehensive immigration reform — increased border security and a provisional legal status for the millions of undocumented people living in the United States now — needs to happen mostly simultaneously.” (Source)

18. Mario Diaz-Balart, FL

“And then we have to deal with the reality, whether we like it or not, that there are millions of people who are here…And then give those who have been here for many, many years, who have been working, a way to earn their way into legalization.” (Source)

19. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, FL

“I don’t think the perfect should be the enemy of the good. If we are only able to get legalization, I think that’s wonderful also because it allows people to stay here, work, pay taxes, pay their fines, and do everything they need to do. I’m in favor of citizenship path, but not against a legal pathway.” (Source)

20. Dan Webster, FL

"I think as a country we need to do something. Doing nothing is amnesty… Some want to become citizens, and I think that should be part of this. The people who said `no amnesty,' they know you have to do something. And I believe our membership will come to that conclusion as well." (Source)

21. Steve Southerland, FL

“We have to address it. It’s a moral issue. If there’s going to be a chance to create a legal path, there has to be a recognition of the wrong done. But I believe in reconciliation. I am open to finding what I believe is morally the right thing. No law-abiding person should live in the shadows.” (Source)

22. Trey Radel, FL

Signed letter to Sen. Rand Paul supporting “finding a way to reasonably address the reportedly 11 million people who came here knowingly and illegally—in a way that is best for all Americans…it also may mean providing a legal status, upon certain conditions and that may not include full rights of citizenship, to people who are currently here.” (Source)

23. Dennis Ross, FL

“What we want to be able to do is to be able to document these people, allow them the opportunity where we can’t have domestic labor to do services and to do work, let them do that and go back to their country and have reentry into our country.” (Source)

24. Jack Kingston, GA

“Kingston says he would vote for border security, an electronic verification system that would help keep track of the status of current immigrants and for some measure that would be a "pathway to legalization." Kingston says that is legalization, not automatically a pathway citizenship.” (Source)

25. Tom Latham, IA

"That's why we need to have this conversation, to actually find a way that we can address the status issue. It's physically impossible to deport 11 million people." (Source, at 6:00)

26. Raul Labrador, ID

“What I think should happen is for illegal immigrants to come out of the shadows, become legalized in some way and that status could lead in someway to legal residency and citizenship eventually but just the same as everybody else.” (Source)

27. Mike Simpson, ID

“‘I don't know how you get a comprehensive immigration-reform bill done that doesn't deal with the legal status of the 11 million people who are here,’ said Rep. Mike Simpson (R., Idaho), who said he would support granting some type of legal status.” (Source)

28. Aaron Schock, IL

"Undocumented [people] should have to come forward, they should have to self-identify, pay a penalty and back taxes, and then... go on a probationary period. And then, the border needs to be secure... before those who have legal status can then be in the line for citizenship." (Source)

29. Adam Kinzinger, IL

"We're not going to deport 11 million people... You can apply for permanent resident status at the back of the line." (Source, at 4:10)

30. John Shimkus, IL

“He said he does not favor returning illegal Hispanic immigrants to their country of origin. "They are people of faith. They are people of strong families. They have a strong work ethic. They will be additive to our country and our society, but we just have to do it right." he said. "I've been pretty hard on border security and legality issues, but I think everyone knows that financially you couldn't (send immigrants back to their home country). Secondly, how do you split families, especially those who have legal children? It just tears at people's hearts, so it's not going to happen."” (Source)

31. Luke Messer, IN

“The two disagreed on the details of a pathway to citizenship, though both ultimately support it. Messer said, “The real question is the length of time…I think there’s a big disagreement right now on whether that path to citizenship is going to be five years or ten years or more.”” (Source)

32. Susan Brooks, IN

“She says there needs to be a path to legalizing the status of the estimated 11-million undocumented immigrants in the U.S., and says the Senate plan appears to offer one.” (Source)

33. Todd Young, IN

"Your deepest anxiety, and that of many of my constituents, is that we put into place some sort of path that, without great labor or time or expenditure, allows people who came here violating our nation’s laws to stay here legally and even as citizens. No, we don’t want to put in place that sort of path. Will we explore options... in the middle...? I think we will. I think if Democrats insist on an expedited path to citizenship without many hurdles...then they’re just looking for a campaign issue... But… we do need to bring these 11 million out of the shadows somehow." (Emphasis in original, July 22, Hour 2, at 8:00)

34. Tim Huelskamp, KS

“After several members expressed their support for some version of reform, they were asked as a group whether any one of them disagreed with Paul’s call to legalize the 11 million undocumented immigrants in the country. The group looked to each other and shook their heads. Not one raised an objection — at most they said they wanted more details.” (Source)

35. Thomas Massie, KT

Signed letter to Sen. Rand Paul supporting “finding a way to reasonably address the reportedly 11 million people who came here knowingly and illegally—in a way that is best for all Americans…it also may mean providing a legal status, upon certain conditions and that may not include full rights of citizenship, to people who are currently here.” (Source)

36. Steve Scalise, LA

See Huelskamp, KS

37. Andy Harris, MD

“Regardless of the other elements of a potential immigration reform bill, if it contains any path to citizenship, Harris said he would vote against it. “I’m willing to let them stay and participate in economy, but not citizenship,” he said.” (Source)

38. Justin Amash, MI

“We can have a path to legal status for those who have come here illegally, but they don’t get any special path to citizenship.” (Source)

39. Fred Upton, MI

"Yes, our current immigration system is broken and I truly am encouraged that we will see a bipartisan piece of legislation by early summer. Though there may not be a specific pathway to citizenship, there should be a pathway to legitimacy." (Source)

40. John Kline, MN

"I think that you have to have a system that takes those people that are in an illegal status and allows them to be in a legal status." (Source)

41. Erick Paulsen, MN

“Minnesota's third Republican House member, Erik Paulsen, said he is open to giving illegal immigrants citizenship or permanent residence. "It's not a realistic proposition to round up 11 million people and send them out of the country.”” (Source)

42. Mark Meadows, NC

43. Robert Pittenger, NC

“Undocumented workers who desire to stay in the United States should be offered the opportunity to register with local authorities, providing fingerprints or other physical identification in exchange for some sort of work permit or legal status, but not citizenship.” (Source)

44. Renee Ellmers, NC

“We need to address the millions of people who are already in this country and formulate a process for them to earn legal work status.” (Source)

45. Richard Hudson, NC

“Freshman Rep. Richard Hudson, a Republican from Concord, also welcomed the blueprint worked out by eight Republican and Democratic senators on Monday…"However, I need to see details in a bill to determine if it strengthens our borders and includes assurances that undocumented immigrants will not receive public benefits," Hudson added.” (Source)

46. Lee Terry, NE

“He defended the pipeline as posing little environmental risk, and said he could support some form of legal status for those in the country illegally, but not citizenship.” (Source)

47. Steve Pearce, NM

“I’m saying there is another alternative that would allow families to stay together, that would allow people to work, that just would not make them citizens.” (Source)

48. Mark Amodei, NV

“At the end of 10 years, if you want to become a citizen, you go to the (federal immigration system) and start the process just like anybody else. I don’t think that’s amnesty.” (Source)

49. Joe Heck, NV

“I think a tough but fair pathway to earned citizenship that doesn’t allow anyone to jump to the front of the line, that has certain benchmarks that need to be met…I would support those.” (Source)

50. Pete King, NY

"I believe we should legalize those that are here. If you're here legally, there should be a path to citizenship." (Source)

51. Michael Grimm, NY

“I think legalization ultimately leads to citizenship. That is the ultimate goal. But I think there's a step in between because there are a lot of people on the waiting line right now waiting for their citizenship” (Source)

52. Tom Reed, NY

He is open to “the concept of legal status immediately and the risk of deportation is removed” (Source, at 3:50)

53. Chris Collins, NY

"And we've talked to the dairy farmers, they've talked to their workers. They want legal work status. That's what they're after and I think the Republican Conference would support that." (Source)

54. Jim Renacci, OH

"For all others who are undocumented, if you can pass a background check and pay back taxes, I am open to considering plans that would allow those individuals to earn temporary legal status and then take a place at the back of the line to seek permanent legal residency." (Source)

55. Jim Jordan, OH

“After several members expressed their support for some version of reform, they were asked as a group whether any one of them disagreed with Paul’s call to legalize the 11 million undocumented immigrants in the country. The group looked to each other and shook their heads. Not one raised an objection — at most they said they wanted more details.” (Source)

56. Pat Tiberi, OH

“‘I per*son*ally have con*cerns about path*way to cit*i*zen*ship and reward*ing peo*ple for break*ing the law,’ said Tiberi, the son of Ital*ian immi*grants. ‘There needs to be a path*way to some sort of legal*iza*tion after we fix all these other things.’” (Source)

57. Jim Lankford, OK

“Lankford supports allowing legal status for undocumented immigrants though no special citizenship path.” (Source)

58. Greg Walden, OR

“On immigration, Walden said he was hopeful a deal could be reached and legislation passed, and he endorsed the inclusion of a path to citizenship for many of the estimated 11 million immigrants now in the United States illegally.” (Source)

59. Pat Meehan, PA

“‘It's within my contemplation that we've got to figure out some kind of earned legal status for people who are here,’ said U.S. Rep. Pat Meehan of Delaware County. ‘It's impractical to assume that we're going to move 12 million people out of our borders.’” (Source)

60. Mike Kelly, PA

“So is there a path to citizenship? I think there is… We already know deporting -- that -- that doesn't make sense.” (Source)

61. Charlie Dent, PA

“With respect to the 11 million, I am open to an earned, arduous journey to legal status, and for some, that will be citizenship.” (Source)

62. Mark Sanford, SC

"I’m not for [a pathway to citizenship] without enforcement first." Q: So get the border secured first and then…? (nods) (Source)

63. Jeff Duncan, SC

64. Mick Mulvaney, SC

See Duncan, SC

65. Trey Gowdy, SC

“Gowdy said undocumented immigrants currently in the U.S. should be divided into those who want a path to citizenship and those who want to “live and work in a legal status without fear of being deported.”” (Source)

66. Marsha Blackburn, TN

“We do not want to see a pathway to citizenship, we want to see a pathway to a green card.” (Source)

67. Sam Johnson, TX

“He is participating in bipartisan negotiations on an immigration fix with liberal Democratic Reps. Xavier Becerraof California and Luis V. Gutierrez of Illinois.” (Source)

68. John Carter, TX

“To honor the rule of law, Mr. Carter says, the House legislation would likely require illegal immigrants who want legal status to declare in court that they had broken the law.” (Source)

69. Bill Flores, TX

“What I would propose is that we have a path to legal status so that those folks that are here illegally reconcile with the law and then they get some sort of temporary visa, maybe permanent residency status.” (Source)

70. Blake Farenthold, TX

“Mr. Farenthold instead favors what he calls “earned legalization” — a process in which immigrants would have to meet a series of conditions for remaining in the United States.” (Source)

71. Randy Neugebauer, TX

“‘I'm not necessarily using the word 'citizenship' yet…but there could be a parole period or adjudication period’ for undocumented immigrants already in the U.S., said Rep. Randy Neugebauer.” (Source)

72. Kevin Brady, TX

“Brady, one of the Republicans who wants legalization for undocumented immigrants to be tied to improvement in border security, added: ‘It may be counterintuitive, but I believe the more people on the Republican side we have engaged in this, the better our chances of finding and passing a solution this year.’” (Source)

73. Ted Poe, TX

“We should start a documentation process…Documentation does not mean citizenship and all of the rights that the term bestows. It means a type of legal status, either temporary or permanent, for some that are here, and it also means a pathway home for those who are here to commit crimes.” (Source)

74. Joe Barton, TX

“Most illegal immigrants "have come primarily for economic reasons and have been productive citizens, and people see that," said Rep. Joe Barton (R., Texas), who supports granting legal status short of citizenship for the illegal population.” (Source)

75. Jason Chaffetz, UT

"There should be a pathway to citizenship, not a special pathway and not no pathway, but there has to be a legal lawful way to go through this process that works and right now it doesn't.” (Source)

76. Chris Stewart, UT

“I want to bring these folks out of the shadows. I want to give them every benefit of legal status, but I think if you come here illegally — knowingly done that — then there should be some price paid for that.” (Source)

77. Rob Bishop, UT

“Bishop said he’s open to a path to citizenship, but only after he’s satisfied that the government is doing what it can to control the border." (Source)

“‘If there is border security first, then I’m willing to go along with the rest of the stuff. That is the number one key,’ Bishop said”. (Source)

78. Bob Goodlatte, VA

“We think a legal status in the United States but not a special path to citizenship might be appropriate.” (Source)

79. Frank Wolf, VA

"We're not deporting people. There are different ways you can do this. You can have legalization in so far as you have worker permits and not citizenship." (Source, Video 5, at 5:45)

80. Dave Reichert, WA

“I want to hold them accountable, and then they get citizenship.” (Source)

81. Doc Hastings, WA

“We are a nation of laws, but it isn’t realistic to round everyone up and deport them. If anybody desires to come into this country illegally, they should go to the end of the line.” (Source)

82. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, WA

"I'm certainly in support of some kind of a path to legalization... There has to be a way whereby people that find themselves in this situation can become legal." (Source, at 11:00)

83. Paul Ryan, WI

“Ryan, the House GOP budget chief and 2012 Republican vice presidential nominee, told The Hill that he supported the legislation the House group hopes to introduce this month.” (Source)

84. Sean Duffy, WI

“We can’t send 11 million people back home. We should put them on a path to citizenship." (Source)

The “Maybes”

1. Edward Royce, CA

"That means implementing faster documentation processes and workable employer verification as well as effectively securing our border. Only then can we talk about a pathway to an earned legal status for adults." (Source)

2. Doug LaMalfa, CA

“…freshman Doug LaMalfa of Redding also stops short of committing to citizenship. He says it’s about fairness … But LaMalfa says he’s interested in the “ongoing discussion” to find ways to "work this out in one fashion or another."” (Source)

3. Corey Gardner, CO

“He didn't lay out many specifics of what he'd like to see in comprehensive immigration-reform legislation. He said he's been listening to ideas forwarded by people such as U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, a Florida Republican…” "We're going to have a lot of conversations with a lot of different people who are on far different sides."” (Source)

4. Scott Tipton, CO

“More than once I asked what the Congressman would do about the 11 million illegal immigrants who are here now? He largely ignored me but he did say he wouldn’t round them up.” (Source)

5. Bill Posey, FL

“Posey has said he would consider allowing illegal immigrants to gain legal status only after the border is secure for at least six months.” (Source)

6. Randy Hultgren, IL

“‘I don't want to break up families,’ Hultgren said. ‘That's not something I take any joy in. Moms taking their kids to school, getting pulled over and deported — we've got to figure that out.” (Source)

7. Rodney Davis, IL

“U.S. Rep. Rodney Davis said he's encouraged by what a bipartisan group of lawmakers has produced on immigration reform.” (Source)

8. Peter Roskam, IL

“He told Politico that the House doesn't have ‘the capacity to move [the Senate] bill in its entirety... My view is: break this down. Break it down into smaller components... Once there’s a level of confidence on a secure border, then you can begin to move forward on these other elements.’” (Source)

"Roskam called the economic growth argument — one advanced by U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) — ‘really compelling’ and left the door open to ultimately finding room for compromise on the issue." (Source)

9. Jackie Walorski, IN

“In recent talks with Walorski, Rivera says the freshman congresswoman has been surprisingly open to talking about reform. According to Rivera, Walorski is sensitive to the plight of immigrants from her years as a Christian missionary overseas.” (Source)

10. Bill Huizenga, MI

“I don’t see how we offer (those who came to the U.S. illegally) any sort of path to citizenship. Most of them don’t want that. They say, ‘I’ll pay the fine, send me back, but I want to be here to work…Here’s the dirty little secret: We need them. We need them in agriculture.” (Source)

11. Tim Walberg, MI

"I’m open to looking at all means by which we can produce a better immigration system for those that yearn to be free...Many of those people we’re talking about giving a pathway to citizenship aren't necessarily asking for citizenship. Many are simply asking for a temporary work opportunity.” (Source)

12. Ann Wagner, MO

"[After border security], we can begin to have a discussion about work permits or whatever comes next." (Source, at 1:30)

13. Rodney Frelinghuysen, NJ

Rep. Frelinghuysen said he was "not against a pathway to citizenship, but it needs to be examined." (Source)

14. Richard Hanna, NY

"It's important that New Yorkers find a legal way to help people come here, do the work they want to do, know who they are, where they are how they contribute, what they cost, have a way to find those people and if necessary send them back." (Source)

15. John Boehner, OH

“The American people expect that we’ll have strong border security in place before we begin the process of legalizing and fixing our legal immigration system.” (Source)

16. Jim Bridenstine, OK

"What he was saying ... and I think it's tremendously interesting, is that if there was a path to legalization, maybe not a path to citizenship, but a path to legalization, then the people who engage in those activities would not be able to hide in the shadows among a whole lot of other undocumented immigrants . . . That's something I'd never heard before and certainly something I need to take into consideration." (Source)

17. Roger Williams, TX

"The Senate bill talks about a pathway to citizenship, but the truth of the matter is I've talked to a lot of folks who are not concerned about coming over to be a citizen—they want to get a job… If we secure the border, identify who's here, and create a work visa program... that's a workable program." (Source, at 11:40)

18. Eric Cantor, VA

“Cantor said in his speech that he is "pleased" with bipartisan work in the House and Senate on immigration reform…he would not give a yes or no answer when asked by CBS' "This Morning" whether he is in favor of that framework, which gives a pathway to citizenship but ties green cards to border security.” (Source)

19. Randy Forbes, VA

Q: Would you be in favor of a short path to citizenship for children but for adults who came here illegally, it would be a more arduous path...they’d have to register, submit to a background check, pay taxes and penalties...would that work, would you vote for that?

“One of the things that I would be in favor of is putting that on the table, and getting the facts and the analysis for doing that.” (Source, at 4:10)

20. Tom Petri, WI

“While clearly border enforcement is key to preventing future illegal immigration, at some point, we do need to consider the practical realities of the approximately 11 - 12 million illegals that are currently in the country--many with children born in the U.S. Mass deportation is most likely not a realistic possibility. In considering reform, Rep. Petri believes that it is important that we enforce our immigration laws vigorously and improve them wherever possible.” (Source)

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...rs_757359.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Report: At Least 104 House Republicans Considering Pathway to Legalization for Illega

Report: At Least 104 House Republicans Considering Pathway to Legalization for Illegals

by Tony Lee 1 Oct 2013, 11:26 AM PDT
    breitbart.com

At least 104 House Republicans may be open to some type of pathway to legal status for the country's illegal immigrants.

According to a Weekly Standard report, "84 House Republicans have publicly voiced support for granting some type of legal status to the 11 million immigrants here in the country illegally, and 20 others have said they would be willing to consider it—many more than what most media reports suggest."

Other groups in favor of comprehensive immigration reform, like America's voice, reportedly have identified 26 House Republicans who support “immigration reform and citizenship,” but, as the Weekly Standard notes, that leaves out the others "who would support giving undocumented workers legal status short of citizenship."

Many House Republicans--like Reps. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) and Paul Ryan (R-WI)--have said they do not want a "special" pathway to citizenship but indicated they are in favor of some type of path to eventual citizenship. Goodlatte and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) are reportedly discussing legislation that would give citizenship to children of illegal immigrants who came to the country by a certain age.

Other House Republicans have reportedly expressed an interest in giving illegal immigrants a pathway to a green card, which would fall short of citizenship. Others are speaking of "earned legalization" or "reconciliation" as House Republicans work on immigration legislation "beneath the radar" while the country is focused on Obamacare, the government shutdown and the debate over raising the debt ceiling.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...n-for-Illegals
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn