Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

and my reply back to him....short to the point.

Sir,
    thank you for your reply. It is truly amazing that a serial rapist's (8 victim's) in our state does not get any coverage in our state.I guess that is why people are turning away from news papers and going to the internet where you can find the real news.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Excellent reply Charles!

BRILLIANT, COI!! Sock it to him. And, by JINGO, it's the TRUTH. And, what about the WINSTON paper not picking that up??? I mean--it happened in THEIR BACKYARD! I wish I had thought to say that to the woman who wrote me back. I sure will the next time and I will threaten to cancel my paper and start getting my news online!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

I stopped taking the local paper ages ago. We pick up Sundays for the sales and thats it now.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The ONLY reason I take it is for the CROSSWORD PUZZLE!!! The Winston paper has a terrific one! And, you can't get it online or I would!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Can you actually get them online without paying for them???? GREAT,jp.
    THANKS!

especially those that make the story germane to our readers.
    If an illegal immigrant with a $44,000 job that an American should have and a $123,000 government loan that an American should have isn't "germane" to their readers, I wonder what is?

Quote Originally Posted by had_enuf
    especially those that make the story germane to our readers.
    If an illegal immigrant with a $44,000 job that an American should have and a $123,000 government loan that an American should have isn't "germane" to their readers, I wonder what is?

I do believe he was spitting out some cya.

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.news-record.com

Taxpayers foot bill for immigrant defense
    Article published Dec 14, 2005

WINSTON-SALEM -- Despite being a homeowner with a job that apparently paid $44,000 per year, an illegal immigrant from Mexico is relying on area taxpayers to pay for his legal defense against charges stemming from a series of sexual assaults in Greensboro, High Point and Winston-Salem.

Gilberto Cruz Hernandez, 24, of Winston-Salem, was found indigent in court proceedings shortly after his Oct. 28 arrest in the first of eight assaults he was charged with between May 2004 and Feb. 22.

He did not reveal in his application for legal representation from the Forsyth County Public Defender's Office that he is a homeowner, instead checking a box that said he is a renter paying $930 per month in rent.

In fact, he and another person, apparently his wife, bought a home last year in Winston-Salem's North Oaks neighborhood with a $122,970 loan backed by the federal government.

His attorney, Assistant Public Defender Paul James, of Forsyth County, said it was an understandable mistake that shouldn't change Hernandez's eligibility for public aid. To be eligible, an applicant must prove he doesn't have enough money or assets to hire a lawyer at his own expense.

People who have bought a home sometimes think of themselves as still being renters because they don't own the home outright and are still making monthly payments, James said in a recent interview.

"They don't think of it as, 'I own it,' " James said. "Somebody just probably said to him, 'How much do you pay for your housing?' "

If Hernandez is found guilty of the assaults, a judge could require him to reimburse taxpayers as for some or all the cost of publicly provided legal representation. The cost could be included in any sentence or entered as a judgment against him in civil court.

James said last week that the Guilford County Public Defender's Office also might be named to represent Hernandez on charges stemming from three assaults in Greensboro and one in High Point.

Winston-Salem police initially arrested Hernandez in connection with four assaults that took place in that city last February. Greensboro and High Point added the additional charges within a week, allegations based on DNA evidence that police say implicated Hernandez.

Shortly after his arrest, federal authorities revealed that Hernandez was an illegal immigrant who had been deported in 1997 and 2002 by immigration and border-patrol officers. They said they will deport him again once he is either acquitted of the assault charges or found guilty and serves any prison time.

In his application to be declared indigent Oct. 31, Hernandez listed one source of income, a job at North State Flexibles in Greensboro that he said paid $850 weekly, or $3,400 per month.

He said that he had no other assets and $3,848 per month in monthly expenses, including $1,000 in food bills.

James said Hernandez's home ownership should not be considered a significant asset because he almost certainly has little equity, or true ownership, of a house he only bought last year. Similarly, he has been in jail, not working, since his arrest six weeks ago, so that source of income is cut off. North State Flexibles said after Hernandez's arrest that he got his job there under false pretense, possibly using fake or fraudulently obtained documents.

Taxpayers also might have to foot the bill, at least initially, for an interpreter as the cases move toward trial. Federal court officials in Greensboro estimated earlier this year that it cost $30 to $35 an hour for interpreters to help illegal immigrants arrested for document fraud and similar crimes.

An official at North State Flexibles, a printing company, said in a recent interview that Hernandez is fluent in English and faced no language barrier in his job there as a press operator.

But James said that Hernandez appears not to speak English very well and it's "more comfortable for him to converse in Spanish."

Contact Taft Wireback at 373-7100 or twireback@news-record.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast