Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ad Putting L.A. in Mexico Called Slap in Face(LA billboard)

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/valle ... ons-valley

See also http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-2118.html for more photos of billboard, discussion thread and related information

Golly gee, Bob ... look where our billboard story is now!

Ad Putting L.A. in Mexico Called Slap in Face
    Activists say a billboard touting Channel 62 news promotes illegal immigration. The station says it targets Spanish-speaking viewers

April 27, 2005
    By Anna Gorman and Susana Enriquez, Times Staff Writers

New billboards advertising a Spanish-language newscast on KRCA-TV Channel 62 were intended as an attention-grabber for its core audience, but instead have struck a nerve with activists seeking to curb illegal immigration.

The billboards show two cable newscasters sitting in front of the downtown skyline, with "Los Angeles, CA" printed above. The "CA" is crossed out, and "Mexico" is stamped alongside in bright red letters. Underneath are the Spanish words, "Tu ciudad. Tu equipo." â€â€
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Star News

Thanks for the head's up. We'll take a look at the piece. My question would
    be, do you think there's a local component we should explore? Just curious
    as to your ideas.

Thanks again,
    Tim

Tim Griggs
    Managing Editor
    Star-News
    Phone: 910.343.2374
    E-mail: tim.griggs@starnewsonline.com
    On the Web: www.StarNewsOnline.com
    I'm thinking there certainly is a local component!

Anyone else who'd like to weigh in on this?

Re: Star News

Quote Originally Posted by good12me
    Thanks for the head's up. We'll take a look at the piece. My question would
    be, do you think there's a local component we should explore? Just curious
    as to your ideas.

Thanks again,
    Tim

Tim Griggs
    Managing Editor
    Star-News
    Phone: 910.343.2374
    E-mail: tim.griggs@starnewsonline.com
    On the Web: www.StarNewsOnline.com

I'm thinking there certainly is a local component!

Anyone else who'd like to weigh in on this?
    I think he's merely saying unless there's a local connection it's not really news. If this is a small newspaper, they don't run but a story or two of national interest and the rest is local news.

I don't think there's any agenda in not picking it up. Out of the whole nation, only LA picked it up .. according to Google Alerts .. but it's a national story that is LOCAL to LA.

There's lots of buzz on blogs and the Internet, though and I bet this will get picked up in more places this week .. esp. now that LA Times has written on it.

It will just keep "going and going" like that bunny ...that was my original avatar. Barkley didn't like that one.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Local news? Wilmington, NC

I think he's merely saying unless there's a local connection it's not really news. If this is a small newspaper, they don't run but a story or two of national interest and the rest is local news.

I don't think there's any agenda in not picking it up. Out of the whole nation, only LA picked it up .. according to Google Alerts .. but it's a national story that is LOCAL to LA.
    The Wilmington Star-News is owned by the same people who own the largest newspapers in North Carolina.

I can understand why they think it might not be "local" news. I'm not trying to give Mr. Griggs a hard time, either. I just thought some input
    from the folks on this website forum, (epecially citizens of NC), might help our cause!

Have you sent him a copy of the LA Times story?

It has a local interest in every state because illegal immigration is a problem in every state in the nation.

Tell him "watchman" said that.

Billboard's a slap in the face?The fact that it's an accurate depiction is a slap in the face.I guess one slap didn't wake them up!

local

Yes I sent him the LA Times article and I told him that when it comes to illegal aliens, all of America is local.

We'll see what happens!

"All we are saying is, 'It's your city, your town, your team,' " said Andrew Mars, vice president for sales for Liberman Broadcasting. "We are a team that's educating and informing the Spanish-language marketplace."

Executive Vice President Lenard Liberman said Noticias 62 was a popular news program in Los Angeles and noted that people of Mexican descent made up a large portion of the city.

"We tell the story behind L.A.., and we tell the story behind Mexico," he said. "If they find that offensive, I'm sorry. But you just have to drive around L.A. to know that this is a Hispanic city."
    Why isn't this snake in the grass behind bars? If this isn't blatant treason then I don't know what is? You tell me what treason is if this isn't it. Since when did LA become a Mexican city? I know, I know it seems that way doesn't it. This isn't a slap in the face. To me it's an outright abomination. I hold these crooks get sued at the very least.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I just called Channel 62

I just called Channel 62 and left a message for the VP who is quoted defending the sign, Lenard Liberman a VP at Channel 62.

I just called and left a voice mail, surprisingly, his voice mail box was not full.

Call the station number - 818.563.5722, then you enter the first few letters of Liberman's
    name and you can connect to his extension - and leave him a message!
    If you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land, those you allow to remain will give you trouble in the land where you will live.'

BTTT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast