Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AL: Immigration Law Protest Washed Out

Immigration Law Protest Washed Out

Rain Dampens Day For Protestors Who Call New Law "Un-Christian"

Nick Banaszak

WHNT News 19 Reporter

9:46 p.m. CDT, July 10, 2011

HUNTSVILLE, AL—
    Opponents of Alabama's new immigration law have lost another round in the state's heated political battle, this time to rain.

A planned protest in downtown Huntsville came to a sudden end Sunday night, after a thunderstorm shut down the event less than a minute in. Protestors scattered as organizers apologized over loudspeakers set up in Huntsville's Big Spring Park.

A few interfaith groups had promoted the rally recently, hoping to sway public opinion against the new immigration law. Organizers have claimed it violates biblical teaching, citing new guidelines that make it a crime to help an illegal immigrant with transportation or housing. Protestors who spoke with WHNT News 19 beforehand said they want the federal government to give amnesty to those living in the U.S. illegally.

"We are here because we want the people to stop this law," said Karina Salgado, who identified herself as a Mexican native and U.S. citizen. "I'm legal, and I hope everyone has a chance to get legal, but it's hard, you know. Government is just hard."

"I just believe they're hurting people," said protestor Nain Lopez. "I think that this is nobody's land. It's God's land, and I don't think anyone should hold it against another group of people, because we're all here together."

Governor Robert Bentley has defended the law, saying the majority of Alabamians are for it. Bentley campaigned on passing the Arizona-style bill, and has said it will survive any legal challenges. The law does not take effect until September.

Leaders from the United Methodist, Roman Catholic and Episcopal churches have all criticized Alabama's immigration law, considered the toughest in the nation. Other major denominations have not taken a public stand.

www.whnt.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"I just believe they're hurting people," said protestor Nain Lopez. "I think that this is nobody's land. It's God's land, and I don't think anyone should hold it against another group of people, because we're all here together."
    Thunderstorms are acts of God. God spoke. He shut you down. Now shut up, get out of our country and go home where God put you.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Funny how the words "God", "Christians", et al are trotted out when it suits these illegals and their masters, no?

I agree with Judy, God has spoken, now get outta here!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Funny how the words "God", "Christians", et al are trotted out when it suits these illegals and their masters, no?

Exactly!

Banned
    If thats what it takes to stop a protest LET IT RAIN LET IT RAIN wash em out.GOD HAS SPOKEN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy

Exactly!

Those are agnostic smiles.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy

Exactly!

Those are agnostic smiles.

Good one, Ratbstard.