Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ALIPAC: Candidates tap into dissent over illegals

Candidates tap into dissent over illegals

Immigration polarizes electorate

by By Quintin Ellison, QELLISON@CITIZEN-TIMES.COM
    published October 27, 2006 12:15 am

ASHEVILLE- Like their national counterparts, political candidates in Western North Carolina are relying on the debate over illegal immigration to help swing votes.

Local politicians say the issue resonates across party lines with an estimated 11 million to 12 million people living illegally in the country.

Critics say the rhetoric is growing increasing inflammatory as the election nears.

"It's clearly a theme of this campaign by some politicians to scare voters and play upon their fears," said Chris Fitzsimon, director of the left-leaning N.C. Policy Watch. "At best it's irresponsible, at worst it's racist rants. Immigrants are being blamed for everything from taxes to crime to diseases."

A Republican N.C. House candidate drew criticism this week after telling voters that illegal immigrants' children are using fake immunization records to enroll in schools and are spreading diseases.

Immigration has been prominently featured in the congressional race between Republican Rep. Charles Taylor and Democratic challenger Heath Shuler.

One television ad for Taylor shows what looks like illegal immigrants crossing a fence into the United States.

In Asheville, an advocacy group paid for billboards showing a Mexican flag flying atop an upside down American flag.

Fakes not an issue
    State House candidate Marge Carpenter, 56, is no stranger to politics. The Waynesville resident served one term in the General Assembly before district lines were changed and is now challenging incumbent Phil Haire, a Democrat from Jackson County, for the District 119 seat.

If she wins, Carpenter will represent voters in parts of Haywood, Jackson, Swain and Macon counties.

Carpenter said she made illegal immigration a central part of her campaign because the issue differentiates her from her opponent.

Carpenter said she doesn't consider her remark about children of illegal immigrants inappropriate even though she could not cite an example of illegal immigrants' using fake immunization records in North Carolina or any other state.

"I believe that it is highly possible and that we really need to address the issue," she said. "It is something I want to investigate when I become a legislator."

Lori Walston, spokesperson for the state Department of Health and Human Services, said the use of fake immunization records by illegal immigrants is not an issue in North Carolina's schools and that county health departments help ensure all children are immunized.

'Vicious and wicked'
    Hispanic activists characterized Carpenter's remark as ignorant and devoid of compassion.

"It brings such a major division," said Erlinda Rogers, who served as president of the Mosaic Multicultural Center in Haywood County before it closed. "She really needs to check her facts before saying something like that. These children are immunized correctly."

Danielle Fernandez, an immigrant advocate in Asheville, said Carpenter and some other politicians are exaggerating the problem in an anything-goes attempt to win elections.

"She's attacking children," Fernandez said. "That's how vicious and wicked this debate has gotten."

Rick Davis, who is running for sheriff in Henderson County, said it can be difficult for candidates to strike the right balance when addressing immigration-related issues.

The Republican sheriff's candidate tells voters that illegal immigrants are the primary traffickers of the drug methamphetamine in Henderson County.

"There's nothing inflammatory to say that virtually everyone we've found trafficking it are Hispanics," he said. "The users are mainly Caucasians. That's fact."

Davis said he's careful to only cite information gleaned from his work as a law enforcement officer that he knows to be true. He said that he strives not to divide the community he hopes to serve as sheriff.

"It's my job not to polarize," Davis said.

Shaping the future

William Gheen of the Raleigh-based Americans for Legal Immigration, a national organization fighting for the enforcement of existing immigration laws, said illegal immigration is the state's top issue.

Carpenter said Gheen, a conservative campaign consultant, provided her the information on illegal immigration that she's used in recent campaign appearances.

Though Gheen said he didn't "remember personally saying we have documented fraud with the kids," he did say that he believes illegal immigrants are responsible for a nationwide increase of meningitis, tuberculosis and hepatitis, and rampant document and identity fraud.

Gheen also said that Carpenter is "right on the money" to focus her campaign on illegal immigration issues.

"In my 14 years of campaigns, I've never seen an issue with the power of illegal immigration," he said.

Jerry Meek, chair of the N.C. Democratic Party, agreed that the question of how to resolve illegal immigration is playing a central role in this year's political campaigns and will help shape the Nov. 7 election results.

"I think it is clearly an issue that a lot of voters are concerned about," he said.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs. ... 6610270319
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Immigrants are being blamed for everything from taxes to crime to diseases.
    What's your point here Chris? It's the truth.

While illegals can buy drivers licenses, SS numbers, green cards, and who knows what else, I doubt they're buying shot records for their children. After all, why would they pay documents when us taxpayers are happy to provide them with the real thing?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Immunizations are in place for a reason. I guess Bush has decided that the enforcement of these innoculations are no longer necessary...just like he's deciding everything else for us while ignoring OUR LAWS. When the NAU is implimented, North America will be the most ill next to Africa.

Added to Home Page:
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=N ... e&sid=1639

Why would Bush and Co want to enforce immunization, they dont want to enforce the laws written in 1989 to prevent another influx of illegal aliens.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

"It brings such a major division," said Erlinda Rogers, who served as president of the Mosaic Multicultural Center in Haywood County before it closed. "She really needs to check her facts before saying something like that. These children are immunized correctly."
    Really? WHO'S PAYING FOR IT, then, missy???? The ILLEGALS or the Taxpayers????

Furthermore, I'm sick of this "multicultural" crap! How about a good ole American Cultural Center? Think that might help to stop this divisity? Take your Mosaic Multicultural Center and stick it in the toilet.

I don't know about the rest of the country but I can assure you that our tax dollars are paying for the vast majority if the kids who are immunized at all here on the border. But I wonder about the ones who are driven to school from across the border pretty much on a daily basis. I wonder about the ones who are smuggled in to live with Auntie Maria and Uncle Luis as though full grown babies are born who are ready to go to school in the USA and get two free meals a day. Are THEY immunized at all? Did anyone bother to ask?

I get really sick and tired of listening to these people make up excuses about why we should be forced to have these kids in our schools at all. And the further from the border they are living the less reason there is for them to be there. These kids certainly can't be part of that "workforce" the democrats and republicans both swear they are in such desparate need of so what are they doing there?

While I have to admit that I'd prefer that all politicians running for public office would refrain from spreading rumors to make themselves look good or their opponents look bad instead of addressing the issues head on and saying what they would do to change things, I get even more angry about them trying to pooh pooh all the issues as nonsense that doesn't require consideration. If that were the case, these special interest groups wouldn't be working so hard at their smear campaign.

The governor of TX claims that since he took office and started "defending the border" that our crime rate has dropped 60 %! I don't know what that guy is smoking because I am definitely less safe in this border town than I have ever been because of the RISE in the crime rate.

Every single candidate for governor uses the phrase "secure the borders" freely but not one single one of them sayd what they would do to accomplish this fete which tells me that none of them has any plan.

New Mexico's governor is depicted riding around on a horse like Roy Rogers making that state safer. I don't know what he's going to do when someone tells him this isn't the wild west anymore and not much can be accomplished from the back of a horse these days. Or is he trying to convey that he is actually a horse's ass?

National Council of La Raza: NCLR-CSULB Center

Click here: National Council of La Raza: NCLR-CSULB Center for Latino Health to Release Report on HIV/AIDS Crisis in Latino Co

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contactiana Tejada, dtejada@nclr.org
    (202) 785-1670

Oct 16, 2006

NCLR-CSULB CENTER FOR LATINO HEALTH TO RELEASE REPORT ON HIV/AIDS CRISIS IN LATINO COMMUNITYWashington, DC – The National Council of La Raza-California State University, Long Beach Center for Latino Community Health, Evaluation, and Leadership Training (NCLR-CSULB Center for Latino Health) will release a report, Redefining HIV/AIDS for Latinos: A Promising New Paradigm for Addressing HIV/AIDS in the Latino Community, during a telephonic news briefing on Thursday, October 19, at 11:00 a.m. EST. [Call-in information below]
    Hispanics make up 14% of the U.S. population but account for one of every five people currently living with HIV/AIDS in the country, including a disproportionate number of women and youth. While much has been done to make this chronic disease more manageable for other communities, Hispanics – in particular Latinas in monogamous relationships – are more likely to die from the disease and less likely to receive quality medical care. Combining the Center's own extensive research and a review of the existing academic literature on the issue, the report discusses the growing HIV/AIDS crisis and outlines a new paradigm for addressing HIV/AIDS in the Hispanic community.Participating in the briefing are Dr. Britt Rios-Ellis, author of the report, and Liany Arroyo, Director of NCLR’s Institute for Hispanic Health. For an embargoed copy of the report, please contact Diana Tejada at dtejada@nclr.org or (202) 785-1670.MEDIA ALERT WHAT: Telephonic news briefing to release Redefining HIV/AIDS for Latinos: A Promising New Paradigm for Addressing HIV/AIDS in the Latino Community, a report from the NCLR-CSULB Center for Latino Health on the growing HIV/AIDS crisis in the Latino community.
    WHEN: Thursday, October 19, 2006 at 11:00 a.m. EST
    HOW: Dial (866) 283-9485, conference ID 984610
    WHY: Hispanics, particularly Latinas in monogamous relationships, are more likely to die from HIV/AIDS and are less likely to receive quality medical care than other groups.

###
    from their own mouths

from Boxer....YOU WOULD THINK CONGRESS WOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE HEALTH OF ALL WOMEN...SINCE WE ARE THE ONES GIVE LIFE...NOT THESE BIAS BILLS....

S. 3965: Latina Health Access Act
    This important legislation addresses the serious health care access barriers, and consequently higher incidences of disease and poorer health outcomes, for the Latina population in the United States.
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xp ... =s109-3965
    White women have the highest rates of breast cancer; however, Latinas have among the lowest rates of breast cancer screening, diagnosis and treatment. As a result, Latinas are more likely to die from breast cancer than white women.
    GovTrack: S. 3966:
    A bill to provide assistance to State and nongovernmental entities to initiate public awareness...
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xp ... =s109-3966
    reintroduce the HOPE (Hispanas Organized for Political Equality) Youth Pregnancy Prevention Act

SHE RECIEVED THE FOLLOWING CONTRIBUTIONS FOR THESE 2 BILLS
    S 3965
    Time Warner: $58,350Hide Details
    $58,350 to Sen. Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
    University of California: $37,900Hide Details
    $37,900 to Sen. Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
    Viacom Inc: $35,000Hide Details
    $35,000 to Sen. Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
    State of California: $27,800Hide Details
    $27,800 to Sen. Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
    Cisco Systems: $24,850Hide Details
    $24,850 to Sen. Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
    S3966Time Warner: $58,350Hide Details
    $58,350 to Sen. Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
    University of California: $37,900Hide Details
    $37,900 to Sen. Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
    Viacom Inc: $35,000Hide Details
    $35,000 to Sen. Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
    State of California: $27,800Hide Details
    $27,800 to Sen. Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
    Cisco Systems: $24,850Hide Details
    $24,850 to Sen. Barbara Boxer [D-CA]
    <div>If a squirrel goes up a politician's pants... You can bet...he'll come-back down hungry.....

</div>