Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ALIPAC: The Other Illegals

The Other Illegals
    Undocumented Students Seek a Place on Campus—And in the Country.

By Daniel E. Stone
    Current Magazine
    Fall 2006 issue - Vilma Palma and her sister were smuggled across the California border in a plywood box the size of a coffin, hidden underneath the bed of a pick-up as it traveled north for three hours. She didn’t know the man driving the truck, whose only words were, “Stay quiet—especially when we stop.” A small hole in the side of the concealed box let her watch the road passing beneath the truck, inches from her body. Nine-year-old Vilma wasn’t scared as they drove to Los Angeles while the sun was setting that day in 1994; she knew that this was the final step in a week-long trip that had included a cargo train, river, barbed-wire fence, and a barefoot walk on a Mexican beach. It was a carefully planned and executed journey to transport Vilma and her younger sister from their old home in Guatemala to their new one in Coachella, Calif. Despite the substantial price—the trek had cost the Palmas’ mother, a Southern California field worker, $6,000—there were no guarantees.

Safely across the border, Vilma worked in the fields for a few months until her single mother enrolled the girls in public school. Now, more than a decade later, Vilma Palma is entering law school at UCLA, the plywood box a distant memory. Though the nation has been consumed this year by debate over immigration policy, few seem to have considered cases like Palma’s. She’s not here to work the menial “jobs Americans don’t want,” as the phrase goes. Rather, she and hundreds of thousands of students like her are in the United States taking courses at colleges and graduate schools to compete for the jobs professional Americans do want. They comprise a class of immigrants—most of them undocumented— trying to excel in a place the government says they don’t belong, and hoping no one discovers their status.

There are an estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S., 500,000 of whom now attend American high schools and colleges. Some choose to publicize their plight—others prefer no one to know. Whatever their background, when they graduate, almost all plan to stay.

A New Lifestyle
    They weren’t all smuggled across the border in hidden cargo compartments like Palma. Many, like Marie Gonzales, came here legally. A second-year student at Missouri’s Westminster College, Gonzales left Costa Rica with her family in 1991 and flew to Los Angeles on a 10-year visitor’s visa. Twelve years later, her family was settled in Jefferson City, Mo. They owned a home and operated a small but successful Chinese restaurant.

It was an American dream come true until 2004, when someone (Gonzales still doesn’t know who, and doesn’t care to find out) requested that Citizenship and Immigration Services, a bureau of Homeland Security, check the family’s status. Living and working in the U.S. on an expired visa was reason enough for officials to deport Gonzales’ parents and slap them with a visa deferment to prevent them from entering the United States for a decade.

The Gonzaleses sold their restaurant, said goodbye to friends, and packed their belongings. But as a high school senior, Marie was allowed to continue her education on a “deferred deportation,” studying year to- year, not knowing when she’ll have to leave the country. That was two years ago, and she still doesn’t know when her family will be reunited.

“It’s been tough,” she says, describing how her parents can’t celebrate birthdays or holidays with their only child. Her dad has been sick and they sometimes struggle with money, but there isn’t much she can do from the room she rents in Fulton, Mo., more than 2,000 miles away. Although she can only speak to her parents for a few minutes a week, she wants to stay in the United States as long as she can. “They told me to ‘stay and study hard’ because they know how valuable an education is and how much this country can offer me,” Gonzales says.

In the System
    Some of these students are allowed to study in the U.S. because they have begun the process of becoming legal residents. Patricia DeOliveira has been in the U.S. for 15 years, even though her 1991 travel visa was only good for six months. Today she’s a third-year student at Bunker Hill Community College in Boston, pursuing an associate’s degree in business. She has “pending” status for a green card.

To apply for permanent residency, undocumented immigrants must submit a lengthy application to their state’s immigration office, along with an application fee (usually around $320). The federal Department of Labor then reviews the paperwork; if approved, applicants receive authorization to work and apply for Social Security numbers. DeOliveira currently awaits the final step, a face-to-face interview with an immigration official.

Prior to 2001, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) allowed employers to sponsor applicants for residency. But after 9/11—when the INS was replaced by Immigration and Customs Enforcement—anyone desiring permanent residency must have an immediate family member who is a resident, or marry a U.S. citizen. DeOliveira says that most people don’t apply because they know how slim their chances are. “It’s nearly impossible to just get in the system, let alone through it,” she says.

And then there’s the wait. DeOliveira first submitted her application in 2001 with her father, whose employer sponsored him. Five years into the process, she thinks the end is in sight. She has been told that the last step will take place within the next 200 to 500 days.
    “The hardest part is not knowing,” she says. “You can do everything right and on time, but still be waiting indefinitely.” She is determined to apply for citizenship right on time, five years after obtaining her green card—whenever that may be.

DeOliveira uses her knowledge of the residency application process to help others navigate a system that she describes as “terribly broken.” “I consider myself lucky to just be in the process,” DeOliveira says. “Most people like me aren’t.”

The Opposing Force
    Despite efforts to become legal residents, students like DeOliveira and Gonzales face tough opposition from their would-be fellow Americans. In a recent Pew Hispanic Center poll, 53 percent of respondents said illegal immigrants who live and work in the United States should be deported.

The debate rages on college campuses, where one posting on the popular discussion Web site CollegeConfidential.com bluntly reads: “America is not an open tent. It will eventually collapse if we just let others invade our country…get them out.”

John Gheen understands this poster’s opinion. As president of the Americans for Legal Immigration Political Action Committee, he believes that every undocumented student in the U.S. fills a citizen or legal resident’s seat. “This isn’t about whether they work hard,” he says. “Americans work hard, Canadians work hard, Russians work hard. They have universities in Brazil and Mexico. They can go there.”

Many American universities don’t dig too deeply into students’ status. If a student has a Social Security number or a visa, he or she is eligible for admission to most public colleges. The massive University of California system requires freshman applicants to select “citizen or permanent resident,” “refugee,” or “nonimmigrant” status on its application form to pinpoint a student’s status. But many schools simply don’t ask. (Administrators at Westminster College in Missouri, where Gonzales studies, have permitted her to continue her education, but they do require her to be clear about her illegal status with the government.)

T.J. Shope, president of Arizona State University’s College Republican club, is not concerned with who fills classrooms. Rather, he takes issue with who pays in-state tuition. Shope doesn’t advocate deportation of undocumented students, only that they pay as much as others originally from out-of state. “Should they be here? Probably not,” he says. “But if they’re going to be, they should pay their fair share.”

The Price of Education
    Some undocumented students do pay out-of- state tuition, even in their home states. Carlos is a third-year college student in the Boston area, who declined to give his last name because of his undocumented status with Homeland Security. Although he has lived in Massachusetts for nine years, Carlos pays the out-of-state rate. When registering for classes, a counselor asked him for his Social Security number and proof of citizenship. He had neither.

“They accept people anyway,” he explains. “They only ask so they can determine how much you have to pay.” For $4,000 (triple the in-state fees), Carlos takes two classes a semester. He would take more, and graduate sooner, if he could afford to.

National legislation could soon change tuition rates for undocumented students like Carlos. The U.S. Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act, now making its way through Congress, addresses high school students who grew up in the U.S. but can’t attend college because of existing immigration laws. The bill, sponsored by Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), would encourage states to offer undocumented students in-state tuition and permit them to apply for legal status.

Speaking Out
    As important as the issue is to her, Gonzales doesn’t take to the streets to protest. She did not attend the May 1 “Day Without an Immigrant” rallies (see graphic) because of a conflicting midterm exam. “The whole reason I’m here is to pursue my education,” she says. “It wouldn’t have made sense to walk out.” Instead of marching, she speaks at conferences as a national spokesperson for the DREAM Act.

Abraham Castro, a sophomore at the University of Minnesota’s Twin Cities campus, takes a more local approach. His family came to the U.S. from Mexico illegally in 1993. Now a legal resident, Castro majors in child psychology and Chicano studies on a full scholarship from the university. He volunteers regularly as a mentor to high school students, encouraging them to study hard. “Many of them have no access to college, or at least they think they don’t,” says Castro, who himself nearly deferred going to college because he didn’t know what opportunities were available to him.

The challenges undocumented—or formerly undocumented—students face don’t always have to do with money or opportunities. Sometimes the issue gets personal, like when TV pundits or enraged protesters hold nothing back.

Such explosive opinions can take their toll, “especially when I realize they’re talking about me,” says Carlos. Most Americans see immigration as an economic issue, but he thinks it has more to do with survival. “American culture tells everyone to get more and more stuff,” he says. “But my family, we’re just trying to get by.” Gonzales agrees: “We’re just people, working hard to do well for ourselves. I pay taxes just like everyone else.”

With some 500,000 undocumented students in American high schools and colleges, the issue isn’t going away. How to solve the problem? Gonzales says people should put a face on the debate. “When people see us working hard, I hope they realize that we’re trying to earn what they probably already have,” she says. It’s a goal that she holds in the back of her mind. For now, it’s what keeps her studying.

Daniel E. Stone is a senior at the University of California at Davis. He’ll get a taste—a very different one—of what it’s like to be a foreign-born student in the next six months, when he will be studying in the South of France.

MSNBC Newsweek, Inc.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15131645/site/newsweek/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    To apply for permanent residency, undocumented immigrants must submit a lengthy application to their state’s immigration office, along with an application fee (usually around $320). The federal Department of Labor then reviews the paperwork; if approved, applicants receive authorization to work and apply for Social Security numbers. DeOliveira currently awaits the final step, a face-to-face interview with an immigration official.
    I have a real problem with this. IMO, no one illegally in this country should have the opportunity to apply for permanent residency, which is a path to citizenship (amnesty). These folks need to be outside the country in line with everyone else applying for legal entry and residency.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

France made the mistake of allowing illegal alien children to stay until the end of the school year. It was a nighmore rooting them out. Don't allow for excuses. I don't care how these illegal got here. That woman paid 6,000 dollars that would have been worth 66,000 in Mexico so she could have went home to her children and purchased a nice piece of property she could have farmed and fed her children. She didn't have to bring them here. But hey, the welfare system in Mexico stinks.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    France made the mistake of allowing illegal alien children to stay until the end of the school year. It was a nighmore rooting them out. Don't allow for excuses. I don't care how these illegal got here. That woman paid 6,000 dollars that would have been worth 66,000 in Mexico so she could have went home to her children and purchased a nice piece of property she could have farmed and fed her children. She didn't have to bring them here. But hey, the welfare system in Mexico stinks.

Dixie
    Every time I read about how much money they pay these smugglers to get in illegally I am just dumbstruck. Like you said, $6,000 is an ENORMOUS amount of money south of the border. You can live very well on that amount of money there. I can tell you it is virtually impossible for my family to save $6,000; assuming these people aren't selling drugs or involved in other criminal activity, how do they manage to save this much money?

get informed dont just say it....

Quote Originally Posted by noyoucannot

Dixie
    Every time I read about how much money they pay these smugglers to get in illegally I am just dumbstruck. Like you said, $6,000 is an ENORMOUS amount of money south of the border. You can live very well on that amount of money there. I can tell you it is virtually impossible for my family to save $6,000; assuming these people aren't selling drugs or involved in other criminal activity, how do they manage to save this much money?
    For all the people that it's participating on this little debate, please do yourselfs a favor and get more information, the process of getting legal it's neither easy as 1-2-3 or cheap as you are claiming, but sucks big time...They are people that actually bougth the sponsorship from companies or pseudo-employers, to get into the process, and getting married to a citizen could cost you $8,000!!!! and then the process it's quite long but it does not cost $320.00....it's way more and could take up to 5 years. And about the welfare in Mexico, there is no such a thing...Come on!!!! Do you have any idea how long takes to put that money together? What that people have to do, some times they get the money lend and keep paying for a long time and doing criminal activity it's not a privilege for the illegals, as farest I know selling drugs and money laundry are some kind or national sports here, along with identity theft, taxes fraud,etc; and the masters minds are no always illegals but white, black, any race and nationality... With 6 grand here you buy a old but good running car, and may be a mobile home, just have to rent the lot and do repairs to get you started; $66,000 like you think it's no even enough to get you on first step on buying a piece of land....In conclusion; this nation open the doors not only to good but bad people too. What you need to do it's get you ideas straight and fix your corrupted system. How are you going to kick thousands of people?. There is no way!!!! Besides the money and powerful people in this country are using them like political slogan also it's very convenient for them, for example a lot of this people are getting taxes deducted that NOBODY ever claims, meanwhile the politicians are spending the money on endless wars and sneaking out their noses on every countries business...Get real!!!! Before to speak up an opinion, get both sides of the coin....

LOL like we are not exposed to positions from both sides of the coin at ALIPAC.

That's a hoot! LMAO.

W

Re: get informed dont just say it....

Quote Originally Posted by SOMEBODY
    Quote Originally Posted by noyoucannot
    France made the mistake of allowing illegal alien children to stay until the end of the school year. It was a nighmore rooting them out. Don't allow for excuses. I don't care how these illegal got here. That woman paid 6,000 dollars that would have been worth 66,000 in Mexico so she could have went home to her children and purchased a nice piece of property she could have farmed and fed her children. She didn't have to bring them here. But hey, the welfare system in Mexico stinks. Dixie
    For all the people that it's participating on this little debate, please do yourselfs a favor and get more information, the process of getting legal it's neither easy as 1-2-3 or cheap as you are claiming, but sucks big time...They are people that actually bougth the sponsorship from companies or pseudo-employers, to get into the process, and getting married to a citizen could cost you $8,000!!!! and then the process it's quite long but it does not cost $320.00....it's way more and could take up to 5 years. And about the welfare in Mexico, there is no such a thing...Come on!!!! Do you have any idea how long takes to put that money together? What that people have to do, some times they get the money lend and keep paying for a long time and doing criminal activity it's not a privilege for the illegals, as farest I know selling drugs and money laundry are some kind or national sports here, along with identity theft, taxes fraud,etc; and the masters minds are no always illegals but white, black, any race and nationality... With 6 grand here you buy a old but good running car, and may be a mobile home, just have to rent the lot and do repairs to get you started; $66,000 like you think it's no even enough to get you on first step on buying a piece of land....In conclusion; this nation open the doors not only to good but bad people too. What you need to do it's get you ideas straight and fix your corrupted system. How are you going to kick thousands of people?. There is no way!!!! Besides the money and powerful people in this country are using them like political slogan also it's very convenient for them, for example a lot of this people are getting taxes deducted that NOBODY ever claims, meanwhile the politicians are spending the money on endless wars and sneaking out their noses on every countries business...Get real!!!! Before to speak up an opinion, get both sides of the coin....
    Hey SOMEBODY, stop whining and sneak back home. Because our federal government has weakened, every state and every little town in this nation will pass laws to deny illegal aliens shelter and employment. The people eventually will shun businesses that pander to your ilk. It may take a few decades but it will happen. Most real Americans are fed up with paying for illegal alien medical care, education, shelter, food, roads, bridges, incarceration, restitution for victims and all the rest. Let's face it illegal aliens are losers who cannot compete against Mexicans so they come here to beg from a generous nation. We've run out of generosity and money so it's time to beg somewhere else. Regarding taxes and Social Security paid but for which illegal aliens never receive a benefit, ask one or two of them into what account number (aka SSN) their employers paid the money. Let us know what you find out.
    '58 Airedale

Let me tell you about both sides of the coin. My side is heads and your is tails.
    And about the welfare in Mexico, there is no such a thing...Come on!!!!
    Can you comprehend sarcasm?

SOMEbody, tell me what you can buy in Mexico with 66,000 Pesos, since you know so much about Mexico and that you can't buy property for 66,000 Pesos. Didn't you mean to say that you can't buy beach front property in Yucatan for 66,000 Pesos? Yea, I'm sure prime real estate is expensive in Mexico too. Dirt’s cheep.

Quit whining! I don't want the process of gaining American Citizenship to be Cheap. Why would I want to give something so precious away for nothing? For that matter, to any body that wants it? Well I don't. American Citizenship is special and if someone can't sacrifice to get it, I don't want them living with me.

If the conditions are so bad in the country they came from, and they are fleeing instead of fixing it, then they are once again deemed unworthy. American's stay when the going gets tough, we don't run away and beg someone else to take care of us. America doesn't need to be weakened by a population of chickens. Illegal aliens are not tough enough to be Americans. They are not loyal to their homeland, otherwise they would stay and fix it so I sure don't want them living in mine.

Dixie

Somebody
    In conclusion; this nation open the doors not only to good but bad people too. What you need to do it's get you ideas straight and fix your corrupted system. How are you going to kick thousands of people?. There is no way!!!!
    Have you any idea how ridiculous you sound? Appears that YOU need to get your facts straight.

1. We did NOT open any doors to ILLEGALS from ANY nation. Get your facts straight so that you don't sound like a fool.

2. Corrupted system? Hmmmm, yes, I do agree with you. However, have you taken a look at mexico's SYSTEM? They're the poster child for CORRUPTION and lack of Rule of Law.

3. Kick thousands of people out? No Way?? LOL, you really can't be serious, are you? Care to explain why returning ILLEGALS to their nation of origin - including the corrupt mexico- isn't possible? I'd very much appreciate your expertise on this matter.

One last note: it's absolutely no fun dealing with a person who has nothing in his/her quiver except rhetoric. Don't you have anything better than this drivel?

Banned
    Sounds like the 'Attack of the Youth Brigade' to me.

If you want to make a point, SOMEone, try using facts, rational thought and punctuation. You'll find most of us here to be reasonable people when spoken to reasonably. If you're incapable of that, you'll not last long around here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast