Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

"America. The best place to live in this world".

December 1, 2011 7:18 PM

Burmese refugees now call Kentucky home

BySeth Doane

(CBS News) America has always been a beacon for those escaping persecution. Since 1990, 92,000 refugees have fled the brutal regime in Burma to settle in the United States. CBS News correspondent Seth Doane reports on some who have made a new start in Kentucky.

A lot of folks think it's the best Thai restaurant in Louisville. As indicated by accolades on its wall, "Simply Thai" gets terrific press.

But the real story here is not the food:

"You were a physician in Burma," Doane asked Mahn Myint Saing in his kitchen, "but you run a restaurant here in the U.S. Was that difficult?

"It needs a little bit of adjustment," he said, "but, no it's not difficult."

In 1988, Dr. Saing found his clinic in the crossfire of a brutal government crackdown in Burma, which is also known as Myanmar -- persecuted, he said, because he's part of "the wrong" ethnic group.

"They shoot at the building - boom, Boom, boom, boom, boom! (making a gun gesture). Glass shattered."

"Your clinic was destroyed?" asked Doane.

"Totally destroyed," he said.

Saing took up arms against the government, but was eventually forced to flee with his family. "No human rights in Myanmar at all! No human rights." he said.

Video: Clinton in Burma: Pushing hard for real reforms
    Clinton probes will for reform in Burma

In the conflict, thousands fled into neighboring Thailand. For 23 years, 150,000 people have been trapped -- unable to go home -- yet not permitted to leave the camps by the Thai government. The best hope is an offer from the U.S. government to immigrate.

That's what happened to 16-year-old Eh-Nay-Thaw, who spent 10 years in the camps before being resettled in Kentucky.

"When your mother tells you about those times, what does she tell you? Doane asked.

"Horrible stuff. Our house was burned. The only thing you see was ash -- they destroy everything."

Eh-Nay-Thaw is among several hundred refugees from Burma who have been embraced by Crescent Hill Baptist Church. Officially resettled as refugees, they come here with full legal status: Welcome to work, welcome to go to school, welcome to stay.

"God has sent a miracle for us and we have a chance to come here, which is good," said Eh-Nay-Thaw.

Groups like Kentucky Refugee Ministries provide support with English classes, assistance with government paperwork, and job placement.

Having started as a dishwasher, Dr. Saing is something of a legend among the refugees.

"America is not perfect," he said. "But in my mindset, it's the best place, bar none. The best place to live in this world"

While they've lost their homeland -- in Kentucky, they've found a home.

For more information, visit:
    Kentucky Refugee Ministries: www.kyrm.org
    International Rescue Committee: www.rescue.org
    Crescent Hill Baptist Church: www.chbcky.org

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-5 ... rPromoArea
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 01-01-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

working4change
    "America is not perfect," he said. "But in my mindset, it's the best place, bar none. The best place to live in this world"
    I could not agree more

they come here with full legal status: Welcome to work, welcome to go to school, welcome to stay.
    Sounds good to me.

Now if they were to offer to the entire displaced population living in Thailand, well we shouldn't do that.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by working4change
    I could not agree more
    Me too.. Now if we can keep it, cause otherwise where do they go?
    I say they, no one is pushing me anywhere. or you...

Assimilation works wonders. After all if the story were about an illegal it may have read like this.

Me muevo sigilosamente en a América ilegalmente y tengo el consejo de Laraza para guardarme aquÃ*. "Pero en mi modo de pensar, esto es el mejor lugar, sin excepción. El mejor lugar para vivir en este mundo.
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

America IS the best place to live in this world.
    To bad we have so many politicians who would rather fight each other and only do what is best for their party instead of what is best for OUR COUNTRY.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The U.S. truly is the best place to live. Too bad our president hates it so much he wants to bring it down to third world status.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    The U.S. truly is the best place to live. Too bad our president hates it so much he wants to bring it down to third world status.
    Its not just the prez. Its the NWO puppeteers behind him that want it worse....

"america is not perfect," he said. "but in my mindset, it's the best place, bar none. The best place to live in this world"
    still true for 2012.
    NO AMNESTY