Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar

American Legion to DHS: We're Not Terrorists

American Legion to DHS: We're not terrorists
    'It is important for all of us to remember that Americans are not the enemy'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: April 14, 2009
    3:25 pm Eastern

© 2009 WorldNetDaily

In response to a newly unclassified Department of Homeland Security report that warns of dangers associated with "right-wing extremists" – and singles out returning war veterans as particular threats – the American Legion has fired off a letter to DHS in protest.

"I think it is important for all of us to remember that Americans are not the enemy. The terrorists are," writes David K. Rehbein, national commander of the American Legion, to DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano.

The Legion's letter comes in response to a report titled "Right-wing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment," dated April 7, which warns against the possibility of violence by unnamed "right-wing extremists" concerned about illegal immigration, increasing federal power, restrictions on firearms, abortion and the loss of U.S. sovereignty.

The document, first reported by talk-radio host and WND columnist Roger Hedgecock, suggests worsening economic woes, potential new legislative restrictions on firearms and "the return of military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone wolf extremists capable of carrying out violent attacks."

Are you ready for a second Declaration of Independence? Sign the petition promoting true freedom once again!

John Raughter, communications director for the American Legion, told WND that conjuring images of returning veterans as "lone wolf extremists" is unfair.

"We don't like these stereotypes," said Raughter. "Veterans are people who served their country, most of the time heroically. To denigrate their service, cite disgruntled military veterans, brings back images of the stereotypes Vietnam veterans faced when returning.

"It's sad that the report comes from DHS," Raugher added. "It could be from some fringe group."

As WND reported, the release from DHS' Office of Intelligence and Analysis defines right-wing extremism in the U.S. as "divided into those groups, movements and adherents that are primarily hate-oriented (based on hatred of particular religious, racial or ethnic groups) and those that are mainly anti-government, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely. It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration."

"[T]he consequences of a prolonged economic downturn – including real estate foreclosures, unemployment and an inability to obtain credit – could create a fertile recruiting environment for right-wing extremists and even result in confrontations between such groups and government authorities similar to those in the past," the report says.

It adds that "growth in these groups subsided in reaction to increased government scrutiny as a result of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing and disrupted plots, improvements in the economy and the continued U.S. standing as the pre-eminent world power."

The American Legion, however, strongly objects to the report linking veterans to the Oklahoma City tragedy simply because bomber Timothy McVeigh had served in the military.

"The American Legion is well aware and horrified at the pain inflicted during the Oklahoma City bombing," writes Rehbein in his letter, "but Timothy McVeigh was only one of more than 42 million veterans who have worn this nation's uniform during wartime. To continue to use McVeigh as an example of the stereotypical 'disgruntled military veteran' is as unfair as using Osama bin Laden as the sole example of Islam."

Still, the report contends – "without any statistical evidence," according to Rehbein's letter – that returning veterans "could lead" terrorist cells planning domestic violence.

"Returning veterans possess combat skills and experience that are attractive to right-wing extremists," the report continues. "DHS/I&A is concerned that right-wing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize veterans in order to boost their violent capacities."

One WND reader, whose name has been withheld, looked at his own beliefs about limited government and abortion – potentially "right-wing extremist" beliefs, according to the DHS – and voiced his opinion of the report in an email:

"According to Homeland Security, I am a right-wing radical," writes the WND reader. "My extremist activities include: working on my 24th year of marriage, raising my four kids, believing that our inalienable rights are granted by God not the government, holding all life sacred, belief in American exceptionalism and, yes, attending Tea Parties to protest 'generational theft' of our childrens future."

He added, "Let me know where I need to turn myself in, because I don't want the government wasting money looking for me."

An official with DHS, however, told Fox News that the critical reaction to the report has been overblown and that in January a similar report was drafted regarding left-wing extremists.

"This is the job of DHS," the official said, "to assess what is happening in this country, with regard to homegrown terrorism, and determine whether it's an actual threat or not, and that's what these assessments do. This is nothing unusual. These assessments are done all the time. This is about awareness."

DHS spokeswoman Sara Kuban added, "DHS has no specific information that domestic right-wing terrorists are currently planning acts of violence, but right-wing extremists may be gaining new recruitments by playing on their fears about several emerging issues."

The report states the DHS will be working with state and local partners over the next several months to determine the levels of right-wing extremist activity in the U.S.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=94939

American Legion National Commander David K. Rehbein sent Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano a letter of protest concerning a recent report by the Department of Homeland Security which suggested veterans were more likely to commit terrorist acts than nonveterans. The letter is below.

Secretary Janet Napolitano
    Department of Homeland Security
    U.S. Department of Homeland Security
    Washington, DC 20528

April 13, 2009

Dear Secretary Napolitano,

On behalf of the 2.6 million-member American Legion, I am stating my concern about your April 7 report, "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence and Recruitment."

First, I want to assure you that The American Legion has long shared your concern about white supremacist and anti-government groups. In 1923, when the Ku Klux Klan still yielded unspeakable influence in this country, The American Legion passed Resolution 407. It resolved, in part, "...we consider any individual, group of individuals or organizations, which creates, or fosters racial, religious or class strife among our people, or which takes into their own hands the enforcement of law, determination of guilt, or infliction of punishment, to be un-American, a menace to our liberties, and destructive to our fundamental law..."

The best that I can say about your recent report is that it is incomplete. The report states, without any statistical evidence, "The possible passage of new restrictions on firearms and the return of military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lone wolf extremists capable of carrying out violent attacks."

The American Legion is well aware and horrified at the pain inflicted during the Oklahoma City bombing, but Timothy McVeigh was only one of more than 42 million veterans who have worn this nation's uniform during wartime. To continue to use McVeigh as an example of the stereotypical "disgruntled military veteran" is as unfair as using Osama bin Laden as the sole example of Islam.

Your report states that "Rightwing extremists were concerned during the 1990s with the perception that illegal immigrants were taking away American jobs through their willingness to work at significantly lower wages." Secretary Napolitano, this is more than a perception to those who have lost their job. Would you categorize union members as "Right Wing extremists"?

In spite of this incomplete, and, I fear, politically-biased report, The American Legion and the Department of Homeland Security share many common and crucial interests, such as the Citizen Corps and disaster preparedness. Since you are a graduate of New Mexico Girls State, I trust that you are very familiar with The American Legion. I would be happy to meet with you at a time of mutual convenience to discuss issues such as border security and the war on terrorism. I think it is important for all of us to remember that Americans are not the enemy. The terrorists are.

Sincerely,

David K. Rehbein
    National Commander
    The American Legion
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wonder if she ever drafted a memo on the dangers of illegal aliens who could be part of Mexican gangs and drug cartels when she was Gov. of Arizona. I guess severed heads are not extreme enough for her.