Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Americans Cry 'Racism' Over Absolut Poster

Americans Cry 'Racism' Over Absolut Poster
    Outrage Over Mexican Ad Shows Risky New Side of Globalism to Marketers

By Laurel Wentz

Published: April 14, 2008

NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- In a nightmare scenario for Absolut vodka and global agency TBWA, a print ad that ran only in Mexico was picked up by American bloggers, entered the blog-fed news cycle and inflamed U.S. anti-immigration factions, detonating racist comments and calls for a boycott of Absolut.

[Where are we? Absolut is left nursing a hangover after cross-border jaunting.]

The ad, by TBWA Teran in Mexico City, was a local execution of the international "In an Absolut World" campaign that depicts an ideal world. In this case, a map showed much of the U.S. Southwest as part of Mexico, as it once was.

The furor reflects a growing challenge for international marketers and their agencies: how to vet local creative work that might offend people in other countries if it leaks out on the internet, without sacrificing local effectiveness.

World without borders
    "It's no longer a world where you can contain anything within borders," said Kevin Roddy, executive creative director at Bartle Bogle Hegarty.

"Creatives have that extra layer of needing to put work through the filter of global issues that are true hot buttons," said Ann Hayden, exec VP-creative director at Saatchi & Saatchi. "Most things aren't picked up [in other countries], unless they're great or totally offensive or hit a hot button. You can have a lot of fun with stuff but you have to know when you're playing with fire."

For the last week, Absolut and TBWA have watched in horror as the news cycle played out. The ad originally ran in Mexico's Quien, a celebrity-gossip magazine published by Time Warner-owned Grupo Expansion. After bloggers, including Ad Age's Laura Martinez, posted the ad in the States, it began a wild rush across the web, making its way onto both mainstream media and the Drudge Report. The story crossed over into TV, airing on CNN Headline News. CNN's Lou Dobbs said Americans were outraged. Newspapers across the country picked up wire-service stories about the ad and the anti-immigration backlash it prompted, and local papers' websites lit up with comments, mostly negative.

A Los Angeles Times poll on the topic, for example, drew nearly 67,000 responses, with about 62% agreeing with the statement: "The ad is an affront to Americans. I'm going to boycott the product."

Absolut issued an apology on its website and on a PR phone line.

Teran/TBWA, the agency that created the ad, isn't exactly a hotbed of rabble rousers. José Teran opened the agency in Mexico City in 1947 and still has his first client, department store El Palacio del Hierro. Mr. Teran, now in his 80s, still goes to work at the agency, run by his son, José Alberto.

http://adage.com/hispanic/article?article_id=126347
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

screw absolut. drink skyy. at least its made in the USA

I thought the article itself was pretty factual and informative. No issues with what it said. But I thought the title for the article was ridiculous. I am sure there were racist comments and opinions from some people, but I think the real issue was with the Reconquista mentality and how Absolut used it to promote it's sales.
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

Skky Vodka

I'd like to know if Skky hires illegal aliens now or in the past?
    This company is in Yuma Arizona right across from the Mexican border.

For the last week, Absolut and TBWA have watched in horror as the news cycle played out.
    As well they should!!!! When are people going to get the message that Americans are fed up and fighting back?

Until this happened I never realized how many people post blogs on the internet or how many forums there are. I started surfing the web and everywhere I went there was a blog about Absolut. All of a sudden there was an open debate going on. Some of it was not so nice, but there was a lot of passion on both sides. I have to say what we discuss on this forum is pretty tame compared to a lot of the blogs I read.

The one thing I noticed is that information and misinformation was the common thread on all these blogs. The person that could quote facts always had the upperhand in all of the debates.

All I can hope is that other people like myself don't always take information quoted on these blogs as being factual. I hope they take the time as I did to question and go do some researching on their own. I mean come on how hard is it to check out facts by simply going up to the search bar and searching for more information and the real facts.

The ad originally ran in Mexico's Quien, a celebrity-gossip magazine published by Time Warner-owned Grupo Expansion.
    It sounds like we need to boycott time warner

Re: Skky Vodka

Quote Originally Posted by piggirl
    I'd like to know if Skky hires illegal aliens now or in the past?
    This company is in Yuma Arizona right across from the Mexican border.
    piggirl, welcome to Alipac

Actual production and bottling of the product is outsourced to Frank-Lin Distillers Products, Ltd, in San Jose, California.[1][2]. Frank-Lin produces approximately 4,800 different brands and sizes of alcohol products. Bulk ethanol is delivered in railroad tank cars to Frank-Lin's railroad siding near the San Jose rail yards. The ethanol is mixed with filtered and deionized water, flavoring is added, and the product is bottled using a 42-head US Bottlers Machinery Company filling machine to insure uniform product level.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKYY_vodka
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Stupid is as Stupid does . Skyy for me
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

All this press thrills me to no end....Absolut's got thier panties in wad because they pissed off so many Americans. I hope this "slip-up" up of thiers hits em in the wallet!!!!!!! The passion and anger this stirs up is somewhat like when B of A gave illegals credit cards!
    Love it! Love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast