Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AP Tries to put a burn on ALIPAC

Here it is folks, we knew they were going to try and put a burn on us any way they could. Your opinions please. Let's hear your honest opinions.

Supporters of tuition bill ask for end to attacks

By WILLIAM L. HOLMES, Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. -- After a week of bruising, nasty dialogue, supporters of a bill that would give the children of some illegal immigrants in-state tuition to public universities asked Wednesday for a return to civility.
    "I don't believe that most North Carolinians agree with the folks that have written to me," said Andrea Bazan-Manson, executive director the Hispanic advocacy group El Pueblo. "I don't want the debate about the bill to fall into this other unproductive debate that is happening."

On April 12, Bazan-Manson appeared with former Gov. Jim Hunt and other dignitaries to announce the bill's introduction. Thirty-five lawmakers had already signed on as sponsors or co-sponsors.

Since then, nine lawmakers have removed their names from the bill after hearing from talk-radio hosts and letter-writers angered at the notion of offering benefits to illegal immigrants.

Bazan-Mason said the rhetoric is the ugliest she has seen during her 12 years with El Pueblo and quoted from a letter she received.

"What kills me is this, momma-cita steals her way across the border and has a baby. Guess what? Baby-cita is now a US citizen and momma and pappa-cita are now allowed to stay and care for" the child, the writer said. "But it doesn't end there. Since most mexicanos don't practice birth control, they have litters of babies."

A leader of opposition to the bill, Americans for Legal Immigration president William Gheen, said he doesn't support racist attacks, but added Wednesday that he understands the anger at the influx of illegal immigrants to North Carolina.

"There is a sense of amazement and outrage and anger that politicians are misinformed and in some cases dismissive of the vast majority of the constituency they are elected to represent," Gheen said. "Of course you're going to get nasty calls when you're that far off base."

Rep. Paul Luebke, D-Durham, one of the four primary sponsors of the legislation, said Wednesday that bill supporters have received encouragement in recent days from educators and religious leaders.

Their measure would give in-state tuition to students who attend North Carolina high schools for at least four consecutive years before graduation. Young people would have to apply for legal immigration status to receive the resident rate. Supporters expect between 500 and 1,300 students to apply for admission to University of North Carolina schools this year if the bill passes.

"The bill seemed to trigger all of the frustration that people had about the changing face of North Carolina," Luebke said.

Supporters, including Hunt, have said the measure is an economic development initiative aimed at lowering the dropout rate among Hispanic youths and training them to enter the job market.

Bazan-Manson met with bill sponsors Wednesday to discuss the status of the legislation, which awaits a hearing before the House Education Committee.

"Everybody is unwavering in their support," she said. "We are going to continue to push forward with this proposal.

"(Children of immigrants) are human beings. Contrary to some of the mail I've gotten these are not animals."

Gheen and many of his allies contend the bill is an invitation for illegal immigrants to move to North Carolina. Gheen believes immigrants are a drain on public resources and says the growth of Hispanic gangs is one result of the nation's immigration problem.

He said he began studying the issue about two years ago.

"At that time, I had no idea about the scope and nature of this invasion," he said. "And it is an invasion."

Gheen said he expects to be labeled a racist by those who disagree with him.

"We call it what people do when they can't have a rational discussion," Gheen said. "The race card is a red herring and an attempt to shut down debate."

A similar tuition bill, along with other immigration-related legislation, spurred heated debate in the Arkansas Legislature earlier this year. At one point, GOP Gov. Mike Huckabee described a fellow Republican's proposal to forbid public assistance and voting rights to illegal immigrants as "inflammatory ... race-baiting and demagoguery."

Arkansas' in-state tuition proposal failed to become law.

Like Bazan-Manson, Gheen said he has received threats.

"I received several threatening messages, but I don't hoist it up as a distraction to the debate," he said.

Gheen said he was not aware that two of the 57 groups linked to his organization's Web site have been labeled hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center, a Montgomery, Ala.-based group that tracks racist organizations throughout the nation. He said he will more carefully scrutinize the groups.

"It's not hateful to want to have your immigration laws enforced," he said. "They're blowing smoke because that's all they got."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Southern Poverty Law info on CCIR and VDARE

Anti immigration groups
    http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelrep ... sp?sid=175

Hate Groups
    http://www.splcenter.org/intel/map/hate.jsp?T=15&m=2
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"(Children of immigrants) are human beings. Contrary to some of the mail I've gotten these are not animals."

This woman is trying desprately to make it into a race debate because that is all she has. North Carolina is united against it.

That senator tried to make it into a race issue to, people upset with the changing face. Yeah, maybe because these people are illegals. It's not unnatural to resent criminals who are stealing from you.

Why do illegal immigrants deserve tuition rates better than US citizens born in other states? Madness. Contrary to popular belief, these people aren't paying much into the system at all, if they even pay taxes and most are almost certainly using more services than they pay in for. This is a scam against the American people. We should not have to pay for this.

And I doubt this bill would stop the "drop out rate" or whatever. Mexicans are dropping out of schools at high rates everywhere. Perhaps these people should examine their culture first before they ask for handouts.

I read this several hours ago before you posted it and had several thoughts. First, Bazan-Mason sure is hogging the limelight .. meeting with committees, etc. This article is all about HER and HER comments. It's biased and one-sided.

As to the e-mail she received, of course she's going to produce one with "racial" overtones.

It would be interesting to hear what she says and what types of communications she generates about her opposition. Probably not fit for print.

She needs to put her violin away, quit whining, pandering to anyone and everyone and shut up! Of course, that won't happen ...someone should do an expose piece on La Raza and write a letter to the editor regarding her comment that "we recruited these people here." (discussed in another ALIPAC thread)

Write rebuttals to the local newspapers .. you NC ALIPAC'ians... call into radio talk shows ..push for an article from the "opposition." That would be those who oppose this outrageous legislation .. representatives that have pulled off the bill ... the general populace as evidenced in the two opinion polls this week ..
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Andrea Bazan-Manson, executive director the Hispanic advocacy group El Pueblo. "I don't want the debate about the bill to fall into this other unproductive debate that is happening."
    Hmmmmmm, why am I not surprised by this statement.

Double speak for "I DON'T WANT ANY DEBATE or we might be found out"
    race smashe, this montra has gotten tiresome.

Push hard, William.......things are beginning to get very interesting.
    GOOD LUCK!

Why do illegal immigrants deserve tuition rates better than US citizens born in other states? Madness. Contrary to popular belief, these people aren't paying much into the system at all, if they even pay taxes and most are almost certainly using more services than they pay in for. This is a scam against the American people. We should not have to pay for this.

Yankee.. if you go to http://www.google.com and you ask for information, it will act on all the words you put in the box. You probably know that.. now I know you know that.

So go to Google, and ask for illegal aliens OR illegal immigrants and add cost. ....illegal aliens cost... You will get about a thousand references anyway. And you will also discover the illegal aliens are taking about 23 billion a year out of the economy over and above their payments in taxes to the economy. In addition, they are sending about 19 million a year home and so that money NEVER goes to the local drugstore.. it goes to Mexico. In addition, there is a huge underground work force that is NOT paying taxes, and that figure cannot really be understood at this point. 40% of the people in Los Angeles work for under the table wages, for example.
    ================
    Keep looking, and FAIR is my favorite place to look, (they are one of several groups that are testifying before Congress and their veracity is excellent!) and you will discover immigrants, coupled to illegal immigrants, are taking over 60 billion a year out of the economy, but others suggest 70 billion a year.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Try looking at.. illegal aliens cost
    Illegal aliens hospitals
    illegal aliens schools
    illegal aliens crime

Take your meds early if you you are excitable.

I think these people (el Pueblo and amigos) as just pissed that the good people of North Carolina woke up instead of sleeping through the takeover of their state like us here in California.Good luck Mr.Geen.

On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being maximum effort. How much do you think this writer went out of his way to paint me and ALIPAC as racist and as a hate group?

W

10-the mention of hate groups while talking about ALIPAC unless it is defending ALIPAC even if subtle,is still deliberate.
    Also using the tactic that gays often use (showing their intolerence) of if you're in disagreement with illegal immigration you are racist,betrays their true agenda.

AP News

First question: Where has it appeared? When did it appear? I think it would be a good idea for everyone in Alipac to locate each newspaper, tv or radio station that uses it and reply to them in person, by email, letters or faxes. Directly to the person in charge. State our position (perhaps send mission statement). Explain to them that no one from Alipac has sent "hate or threatening mail or telephone calls". Ask them to check out this website and read the forums. Ask them to do this and formulate their own opinion about Alipac from this website and the forums.

Second question: Any particular reason no other group was listed other than Alipac? Does this mean we are being "too effective" so they spoke to William to bring Alipac into the article content? Could it be that they knew Alipac (and William) is NOT in any capacity a hate group and gave us this chance to have our say first?

Third question: Anyone who knows anyone in the media, anyone in the Legislature, etc. should perhaps contact them and let them know who, what and where we are. Ask them to visit the website, etc. If you know them well enough, ask them if they honestly believe you would be part of a hate group or a person who would be affiliated with sending hate mail, phone calls, etc. If they trust you as a person, they should trust the fact that you know what Alipac is about and would not be a member of a group that is not "above board".

Personally, from reading our forums and comparing them to forums in some of the newspapers, there is a huge and obvious difference. We do not use the same language. We are not a group who is trying to make readers "hate" illegal immigrants. We just want them to understand what is really happening. We are only acknowledging the TRUTH as we see it -- from our perspective.

The article will certainly gain alot of recognition for Alipac. Some people believe that bad publicity is better than none at all.

I believe William has met the issue head on and has stated that Alipac is not like the groups the article described. The fact that Alipac was contacted and has been given a chance to "have our say" is a good thing. They may be trying to hurt us, but the cream always rises to the top.

Alipac will prevail. Alipac will not turn back or be frightened by publicity of any kind -- good or bad. We have a purpose we are willing to put ourselves on the line for. We are not trying to run and hide and we use our first and last names when we contact anyone. We do not use an alias. We tell them where we live and how we feel.

Alipac is an honest and forthright group of individuals trying our best to resolve a situation in a manner that North Carolina can afford. We are trying to protect our State. We are proud of our State.

We are Americans and we love our Country. We love our Country enough to obey Her laws.

We have a difference of opinion with some of our countrymen/women regarding in-state tuition for illegal immigrants. We reserve the right to speak our opinion and let it be known.

I believe we are respectful in the way we acknowledge those who do not feel the same as we do regarding in-state tuition for illegal immigrants.

Freedom of speech is one of the great benefits we enjoy as Americans. Alipac is using this benefit to bring about debate on a very serious issue for North Carolinians and our fellow Americans.

We have done nothing wrong and refuse to apologize for practicing our rights to freedom of speech. Personal opinions are just that. Everybody has one and in this Country, we are allowed to say it out loud. Say it clearly without fear of harm.

We listen as well as we speak. What more could anyone ask in a debate with this much at stake?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast