Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arizona talks about cutting all utilities to all Illegals

Arizona immigration law backer politician
    Barry Wong wants to cut power from illegal immigrant homes

BY Sean Alfano
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Wednesday, June 30th 2010, 8:06 AM

One Arizona politician has made a vow to make illegal immigrants powerless -- literally.

Republican Barry Wong, a candidate for the Arizona Corporation Commission, an elected body that decides public utility issues, says he would require the utilities to check the immigration status of customers,
    he told the Arizona Republic.

"I'm sure there will be criticism about human-rights violations," said Wong, who held a temporary spot on the five-person Commission in 2006. "Is power or natural gas or any type of utility we regulate, is that a right that people have? It is not a right. It is a service."

Cutting electricity, water, natural gas, even telephone lines at the homes
    of illegal immigrants, he said, would lower costs for the rest of the
    state's customers. He believes the population spike caused by illegal immigrants forces the state to build new power plants and then raise
    rates for customers.

Since 2000, Arizona's population has jumped nearly 29% to almost 6.6 million people. In roughly that same time, the number of the state's Hispanic residents increased and now composes more than 30% of Arizona's population, according to the U.S. Census.

This isn't the first time electricity surged into the immigration debate.

In May, after Los Angeles' City Council voted to boycott Arizona over its controversial anti-illegal immigration law, SB 1070, Gary Pierce,
    who sits on the Commission, suggested L.A. stop using his state's power.

Pierce, also a Republican, dismissed Wong's idea.

"That's not an argument I think we'll involve ourselves in," he said.

Critics, however, charge Wong with simply using a hot-button issue to gain notoriety and votes.

"Everyone is seeing the polls that are so anti-immigrant, and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to target immigrants," said Julie Pace, a lawyer currently suing the state over a law punishing businesses that hire illegal immigrant help.

"They all are coming up with novel ideas how they can get elected. They say, 'Target immigrants, and it helps me win an election.'"

Wong believes his idea deserves further study.

"The question is: Is it the right thing to do in terms of rates?" Wong, a former four-term member of the state's House of Representatives, told the paper.

Arizona has come under fire for months for its efforts to battle illegal immigration, which was put under the national spotlight with the passage of SB 1070, which would allow law enforcement to ask suspects about their immigration status. However, the law which goes into effect July 29, has its supporters.

According to a recent Rasmussen poll, 71% of Arizona backs it, an increase from when Gov. Jan Brewer signed the bill in April.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... m_ill.html
    ------------------------

GR
    Well, this is a war that Mexico has lodged against the United States of America, and Arizona is one of those United States.

It's within the sphere of influence of those fighting a war to do so in all ways they can.

I'm very sure America's law enforcement can cut off all services from hostilities who threaten the safety of law abiding Americans, and ultimately the sovereignty of their cities, communities, counties, state, and as part of the entire nation.

I would worry drastically about any animals, very young and very old in the households, but then again law enforcement is used many times in such things with American citizens who are believed to be hostile combatants towards the USA and USA citizens.

Special forces and elite units come to mind, among other such enforcement agents who are all about protecting the safety of law abiding America and their nation America.

No, it is not against immigrants, it is against illegal immigrants. I hate when people don't differentiate between the two.

Banned
    Yes
    I'm also sick to death of these articles that do not state the difference between legal immigrants and ILLEGAL ALIENS

Its all spin and talking points of course

We see enough of it with the la raza and reconquista supporters

This guy doesn't speak for the state, and it's articles like this that get people up in arms. Airzona has passed a good law that will hopefully stand up to the lawsuits now in the works. This kind of pandering backfires against the state, not this Wong person.

Nobody is going to shut off public services to illegals, what are the utility company's going to do, go door to door and ask for birth certificates. This kind of politician is a joke and an embarrasment.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat
    This guy doesn't speak for the state, and it's articles like this that get people up in arms. Airzona has passed a good law that will hopefully stand up to the lawsuits now in the works. This kind of pandering backfires against the state, not this Wong person.

Nobody is going to shut off public services to illegals, what are the utility company's going to do, go door to door and ask for birth certificates. This kind of politician is a joke and an embarrasment.
    I think your right, I doubt that this will happen. Actually if you think about it, there's really no need for it.
    ------------------------

This idea makes no real sense and is destructive because it would plunge millions of people into chaos, society can't function that way.