Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Arrogant invasion rights supporters hold prayer vigil

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=4462729

Immigration rights supporters hold prayer vigil

August 15, 2006 - Immigration rights supporters held an all-night prayer vigil for a woman who may be separated from her son Tuesday.

Undocumented immigrant Elvira Arellano has been in this country for nine years. She has a seven-year-old son who is a U.S. citizen. Tuesday morning, she could be deported during an immigration hearing, separating her family.

"We're here in support and faith for a miracle," said Emma Lozano, Pueblo sin Fronteras.

"I pray now, my friends -- these people is my family. I'm praying every day," said Elvira Arellano.

An INS spokesman issued a statement saying, "ICE is required to enforce the nation's immigration laws and ensure that they are applied fairly, without regard for a person's ability to generate public support. Ms. Arellano willfully violated U.S. immigration laws and is now facing the consequences of her actions."
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Undocumented immigrant Elvira Arellano has been in this country for nine years. She has a seven-year-old son who is a U.S. citizen. Tuesday morning, she could be deported during an immigration hearing, separating her family.
    Children should be with their parents unless they are just meal tickets when they are left here.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/cust ... i-news-hed

Activist refuses deportation, takes refuge in church

By Oscar Avila
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published August 15, 2006, 9:55 AM CDT

A prominent activist for illegal immigrants in Chicago today defied a government order that she turn herself in to the Department of Homeland Security for deportation and instead took sanctuary in a West Side church.

Saying she would not be returned to Mexico, Elvira Arellano — an illegal immigrant — said she would go to an undisclosed church with her young son.

Arellano had been ordered to report by 9 a.m. today to Homeland Security's Loop offices.

"If Homeland Security chooses to send agents to a holy place, I would know that God wants me to serve as an example of the hatred and hypocrisy of the current administration," Arellano said.

Arellano is the president of United Latino Family, a group that lobbies for families that could be split by deportation. Tim Counts, a spokesman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said today that Arellano would be considered a fugitive if she did not surrender to authorities.

"We will take action at the time of our choosing to execute the deportation order," Counts said after learning of Arellano's decision.

The 31-year-old woman was arrested in 2002 during an immigration sweep at O'Hare International Airport. At the time, coming shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, the U.S. government was working to secure the nation's aviation system.

But through the intervention of members of the state's congressional delegation including U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin and U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, Arellano received several temporary stays of deportation to remain with her young son, a U.S. citizen.

In the meantime, she spoke openly about her own experiences and became a poster child for the state's estimated 400,000 illegal immigrants, winning the support of church leaders and other immigrant advocates. She also took her case to Mexico President Vicente Fox and the General Assembly in Springfield.

Last month, though, Arellano received a letter from Homeland Security demanding that she turn herself in for deportation at the department's offices at 10 W. Jackson Blvd. She was unsuccessful in getting renewed support from Congress.

Homeland Security officials noted that Arellano had already been deported once, in 1997, and that she had a criminal conviction for Social Security fraud.

The department released a statement last week, stressing that it must "enforce the nation's immigration laws and ensure that they are applied fairly, without regard for a person's ability to generate public support. Ms. Arellano willfully violated U.S. immigration laws and is now facing the consequences of her actions."

Banned
    I keep wondering why those here illegally are never willing to take responsibility for their decision to come here knowing that there may be consequences.

Perhaps they should be thankful for all of the financial benefits (free health care, education, etc) that they and their family received while here, including higher wages earned, which puts them further ahead in Mexico.