Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

AZ-Pima County leaders want sheriff to apologize for comment

Pima County leaders want sheriff to apologize for comments

Last Update: 2:03 am

A U.S. Congressman, several state legislators and members of Tucson-area school boards are demanding an apology from Pima County's sheriff after remarks he made last week.

Congressman Raul Grijalva and others signed a letter criticizing Sheriff Clarence Dupnik after he called for teachers and school administrators to act as immigration officers.

At a news conference last week, the sheriff said that 40 percent of the students in the Sunnyside Unified School District were in the country illegally and that the south, southwest and west sides of Tucson had high crime rates linked to illegal immigration.

"These false charges are inflammatory and prejudicial," the letter said. "Your comments only further divide our community and debase a large part of the population. The Pima County electorate trusted you to protect and serve our community, not to humiliate and instill fear," the letter said.

Eva Dong, a Sunnyside Unified School District board member, said she signed the letter because she was shocked and disappointed with Dupnik's comments.

Dong said she opposes putting Sunnyside into a position of law enforcement against immigrants, which, she added, is against the law.

"And I'd like to know the credible source he has that said that 40 percent of Sunnyside students are illegal immigrants," Dong said.

"The large majority of our community is not involved in crime. I was in shock when I heard the things he said. That he would lump us into a category of high crime is not right," she said. "We've worked hard this year to try to remove those images. We have businesses and the university working with us to be successful," Dong said.

Dupnik stressed last week that his statements were only his opinion, adding he knew they would be divisive.

He also suggested that a Supreme Court ruling that forbid schools from checking the citizenship of students should be challenged, saying it would heighten border security if the ruling was overturned.

Dupnik, in his 29th year as Pima County Sheriff, could not be reached for comment Monday afternoon.

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/centr ... _zMjQ.cspx
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He also suggested that a Supreme Court ruling that forbid schools from checking the citizenship of students should be challenged, saying it would heighten border security if the ruling was overturned.
    If parents are not legally here then children are not to be admitted to school. YES!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dupnik stressed last week that his statements were only his opinion, adding he knew they would be divisive.
    HIS opinion, and probably a majority of the legal population!

At a news conference last week, the sheriff said that 40 percent of the students in the Sunnyside Unified School District were in the country illegally and that the south, southwest and west sides of Tucson had high crime rates linked to illegal immigration.

"These false charges are inflammatory and prejudicial," the letter said. "Your comments only further divide our community and debase a large part of the population. The Pima County electorate trusted you to protect and serve our community, not to humiliate and instill fear," the letter said.

False charges my Aunt Fanny!!

Tucson is just as bad as LA and it's high time someone came right out and said so. There's no one better positioned to comment on the subject than the Sherrif and he has nothing to apologize for.

Contact info:

Pima County Sheriff's Department
    Administration Complex

Headquarters

(520) 351-4600

Can comment under Contacts at website:

http://www.pimasheriff.org/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It is the responsibility of public officials and teachers to report crime-being in the country illegally is a crime-Last year a guy that works for me told me about his ex girlfreind allowing a 23 year old illegal to rent room and sleep with her 14 year old daughter-the daughter became pregnant-I contacted the guidance counselor at her school that she was pregnant and by an 23 year old illegal and she was responsible to report it-I reminded her that I would be contacting social servives,crime stoppers and the sheriff since they live in the county.I also told her that I would be giving her name and that I had told her and if she did not do something,it could come back on her later.I called each agency,getting the name of the person each time before telling them anything-all 4 times,I told each one I would be giving thier names to all of the others.Oddly enough,the sheriffs dept in Wentworth NC gave me the most trouble.I called them each 3 times over a month period(except the school,cause I wanted to talk to a different person each time)-The illegal was arrested and sent to prison for stachatory rape.Shows if you want to make the effort,you can do something-I never even had to give my name and called from a payphone.I was respectfull,polite while queitly reminded each person to do thier job

The south side of Tucson has a huge illegal population.
    I don't want Dupnik to apologize, and judging from all of the comments left when the newspaper reported on this, I assume the majority of legal voters also don't want him to apologize.

It's ridiculous that they're in our schools! Our own children have to go to school in the district in which they live, yet people who have no business being in this country are defended?

Dupnik not apologizing for remarks on illegal immigration

May 07, 2009, 6:51 p.m.
    DAVID L. TEIBEL
    Tucson Citizen

Sheriff Clarence W. Dupnik, said he would not apologize for saying last week as many as 40 percent of Sunnyside Unified School District students are illegally in the United States and that much South Side crime is linked to illegal immigration.

The statements led to a letter from 10 politicians, all Democrats, as is Dupnik, demanding the sheriff apologize for his remarks.

Dupnik said his remarks were an effort to point out "reality."

As far as apologizing for his remarks, Dupnik said, "No. Who am I supposed to apologize to, illegal aliens?"

Dupnik's remarks hurt many Hispanic U.S. citizens who live on the South, Southwest and West sides of Tucson, said Eva Dong, a member of the board of the Sunnyside School District.

After being told Dupnik would not apologize, Dong said she was not sure an apology would mean anything.

"I think that unless he understands how we felt as legal citizens, living in the community, then I don't know what the apology would mean," she said.

Dong would like an apology from the sheriff, "but only if he understands how his words affected us."

Dong drew comfort from Dupnik's remarks that deputies' priority isn't enforcing immigration laws..

"As a community, we have always felt we need to work with police, with deputies," Dong said.

Regarding illegal immigrants in Sunnyside schools, Dupnik said he was given the 40 percent figure by "a number of people, including teachers and others" in the school district.

As for crime on the South, Southwest and West sides of the city, Dupnik would not say how he knows much of it stems from illegal immigration, saying only, "You know that's true."

Dupnik said a number of "magnets" bring illegal immigrants to the United States, including citizenship for children born here, free medical services, social services and a free education.

"We need to mitigate as many of those magnets as we can," he said.

Dupnik said he first made the immigration remarks last month at a hearing on border violence held by the U.S. Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

Last week's news conference, he said, was an attempt to clarify those remarks.

Dupnik said his remarks were not intended to be anti-Hispanic or to show any prejudice against Hispanics.

The sheriff long has said his deputies would not enforce immigration laws, which he said is a federal responsibility.

He has said the Pima County Sheriff's Department has neither the resources nor the interest to enforce federal law.

Dupnik also has said it's more important to foster trust in the immigrant community so it's more likely they will report crimes as opposed to a community reluctant to call law officers out of fear of deportation.

Dupnik last week suggested challenging a U.S. Supreme Court decision that forbid schools from checking the citizenship of students, citing improved border security if the ruling were overturned.

Read All Comments » 57 TOTAL COMMENTS
    http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/border/116063.php