Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Betting Clinton Will Keep Congressional Democrats in check

http://www.spcm.org/Journal/spip.php?article5245

By Chad Groening

January 3, 2007

An immigration reform activist believes Hillary Clinton’s political aspirations could mean she will use her influence to keep the Democrat-controlled Congress from doing anything drastic with regard to U.S. immigration policy.

When the Democrats won control of Congress this past November, the conventional wisdom among secure borders advocates was that President Bush would finally get his wish — an amnesty plan for millions of illegal aliens. But Susan Tully, national field director for the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), does not think that will necessarily be the case because many freshmen Democrats in Congress oppose amnesty. However, that is not the only reason why she believes amnesty legislation will not be immediately forthcoming.

There is another factor in play, Tully notes. "I’m putting my money right now on Hillary Clinton keeping the Democrats from doing anything too radical over the next two years," she says, "because this woman wants to be elected president."

Of course, the FAIR spokeswoman points out, everything would change after 2008, particularly if Senator Clinton were elected. "If she’s president, they still maintain the House and Senate majority on the Democratic side," the immigration reform advocate contends. "Then you will see amnesty and everything," she adds, "but I think until then Hillary Clinton will be the controlling factor in the Democratic Party."

Prior to the next presidential elections, Mrs. Clinton will not want to anger conservatives or do anything to catalyze strong conservative voter turnout, Tully speculates. "I believe that Hillary Clinton very much wants to be a presidential candidate for 2008," the activist observes, "and she’s a very powerful person on the Democratic side in terms of keeping her party under control."

Tully says her guess is that Senator Clinton is going to try very hard to keep the Democrats "under wraps" when it comes to legislating amnesty or enacting any other kind of radical liberal policies. FAIR’s national field director insists that Clinton is unlikely "to do anything that would infuriate the conservative base" or that would cause them to turn out en masse in 2008.
    Chad Groening, a regular contributor to AgapePress, is a reporter for American Family Radio News, which can be heard online.

now i'm scared! the sovereignty of the USA in the next 2 years depends on the #1 citizen of this new 'global' world.

I disagree with article. What if she leads the charge for amnesty? With elitist Republicans speaking louder than the conservative base, and many liberal Dems wanting amnesty, she could rise up as the illegal's champ and cruise to a victory in 08, what with her new voting base. She's a woman, which will attract voters that want something new, and she helped the hispanic population. Plus, she'll get the normal, straight-democratic ticket voters. She could totally do it.
    I hope the author is right about her keeping the party down, but I don't really know if she has THAT much clout. I hope she is wrong, and I am wrong, about her winning the presidency. The TyRANTosaur and his little dinos may have to move to Antarctica...or Neptune.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TyRANTosaur
    The TyRANTosaur and his little dinos may have to move to Antarctica...or Neptune.
    Heck we can all move to Mexico because most of them will be up here by then.

If you think about it, what this writer says does make some sense. If Hillary gets the presidency and the dems control both houses with a dem president, the amnesty bit is practically a slam dunk.
    IMO, I think the dems are a little leary of "tipping the boat" so quickly after they have regained power. I believe they don't want to risk losing this power again, at least not right away. I think they know the nation is watching them like a hawk.
    They will direct attention to smaller issues they know they can win. In their eyes, they think this will "fool" the American people into thinking they are actually upholding their promises to their constituents. They will delay as long as they can on the immigration issue until the next pres gets elected. By then we'll have 40 million illegals, and they'll once again try to sell us on the bit of, "Well they are already here and there's too many of them to deport so let's just make them all citizens!" and we'll have some new outrageous figure of how the fence will cost $3 trillion dollars and would bankrup the nation... (I know I'm getting carried away here) but it makes perfect sense, and it falls in line with the antichrist's plan to make us into the NAU.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

The Dems have to make a splash, though. They have to do something significant within the next two years or they are gone. I think it'll be with the war, but you never know.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Banned
    If they were smart, they would focus for the next 2 years on border security - REAL BORDER SECURITY, and forget trying to push amnesty. The whole 9 yards, fund and build the fence, many more border control agents, etc,.....and show the American public that the hemmorhage at our border CAN be stopped. If they are able to show real progress and results, while the Repubs did not, they would have much more public support and would be more likely to win in '08. But, that's if they are smart, which is highly questionable.