Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bill OK'ed to allow Utah officers to act as immigration agen

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5126513

Bill OK'ed to allow Utah officers to act as immigration agents
    By Jennifer W. Sanchez
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated:01/31/2007 11:26:34 AM MST

Posted: 11:27 AM- A bill to allow state law enforcement officers to also perform as immigration agents on routine traffic stops was approved today by a House committee.
    In a 6-3 vote, the House Law Enforcement and criminal Justice Committee approved HB105. The measure now heads to the House floor for a vote.
    Bill sponsor Rep. Glenn Donnelson, R-North Ogden, said the idea for the measure came from his discussions with officers in Alabama and Missouri who say they are frustrated that they cannot arrest illegal immigrants on immigration charges.
    The bill would force state law enforcement agencies to go into an agreement with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to train officers to also serve as ICE agents. Local law enforcement agencies could choose whether to enter the agreement.
    "They're not out there head hunting or anything like that," Donnelson told lawmakers. "They just perform their regular duties like in the past."
    Utah Department of Public Safety Commissioner Scott Duncan told lawmakers he did not support or oppose the bill. He said he still had questions about how the state-ICE agreement would impact state law enforcement agencies.
    Any law enforcement agency in the country can set up an agreement with ICE, says ICE spokeswoman Virginia Kice.
    Under federal law, local and state law enforcement agencies can work out an agreement with ICE under the 287(g) program. The process takes a few months, and ICE pays for the four-week training for officers. There are about 200 law enforcement officers in several states that are trained as ICE agents, Kice said.
    Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff has said he opposes the bill.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Very Good News!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Banned
    Its a crying shame, it takes three men and a boy to pass a bill for something law enforcement should allready be doing , maybe we could have saved the lives of 25000 people last year if we all ready had laws like this mabey just maybe it would have stoped 911

SWEET!!! I can't wait to see future headlines here in UT regarding our police capturing illegals.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Me to Sippy Me too
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

UT supports American

Another state looking at status of criminals. The more the better.

Great News!! Let's hope the ACLU stays out of it.

Really great news!!
    This morning on c-span Sen. Schumer(D-NY) said it was time for congress to stop listening to special interest groups like ACLU and start listening to the citizens. He actually said groups like ACLU should be out doing the job they had in mind when they started their organizations like protecting the rights of citizens, and not be undermining the American people. I was shocked, so maybe we are getting to them!!!
    He also said we need to take away the Jobs by fineing employers so they would go home.
    I'm steal realing from the shock!! of course we know they are all know for changing their minds quit often, but we can hope!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

SOSADFORUS,
    I don't want to get excited...did you see this on Cspan....(heart thumping)

I think I am a sucker I took the bait...and I am choking on the hook...wery, wery kwewl SOSADFORUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast