Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bill would de-certify chiefs who don't enforce immigration law; replaces HB116

ksl.com
    By Marjorie Cortez
    January 26th, 2012 @ 3:01pm

SALT LAKE CITY — A bill that backers describe as a "compassionate family-oriented pilot program" has been proposed as a replacement to a controversial guest worker bill that the Utah Legislature passed last year.

HB300, sponsored by Rep. Chris Herrod, R-Orem, would create pilot programs to deal with people who are in the country illegally because they have overstayed visas. But it also targets local police by withholding funding and yanking the Peace Officers and Standard and Training certification of police chiefs whose departments fail to enforce immigration laws.

Layton Police Chief Terry Keefe, chairman of the Utah Chiefs of Police Association, said Thursday that POST certification is needed "to be a law enforcement officer in any position in the state of Utah."

Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank said the bill, which has been dubbed the "Burbank law" because of his vocal opposition to local police acting as immigration agents, was "very disappointing."

"Why are we wandering down this road?" Burbank said, rather than wait for direction when the Supreme Court rules on Arizona's controversial immigration enforcement law.

Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank has vocally opposed local police acting as immigration agents. He has called HB300 "very disappointing."

If Herrod's measure is intended to be intimidating, it fails on its face, Burbank said. "It does not make me change my position."

HB300 would hinder police in their primary mission, Burbank said.

Worse, such proposals unnecessarily spread fear among undocumented immigrants as well as families with mixed immigration status, he said.

"When local law enforcement is not protecting everyone and not accessible to everyone, we're not doing our job," he said.

If people view local police also as immigration agents, they will be reluctant to seek help when they are victims of crimes. "That's a scary situation. That's when criminal activity thrives," he said.

Because of the department's community policing efforts, the city's crime rate is at a 26-year low, "and this is despite a fairly large population of 'illegal immigrants' they're all worried about and this legislation supposedly targets."

Overview of HB300

• Would withhold funding and take away POST certification of police chiefs who refused to enforce Utah's immigration law.
    • Would provide a pathway to legal status only for those individuals who have overstayed visas.
    • Does not apply to people who have entered the country illegally.

HB300 would apply only to people who have overstayed visas. People who entered the country illegally could not participate in the program, Herrod said, noting that legislation should not condone breaking the law.

Herrod, who is running for the U.S. Senate, said in a previous interiew that he would introduce the law as an "olive branch" to the Republican Party. Delegates at Republican Party county conventions throughout the state passed resolutions calling for the repeal of HB116, the guest worker bill passed last year.

The bill, if passed, would require changes in federal law before the pilot program could be implemented.

The program establishes two paths for people with expired visas to eventually regain legal status. One tier deals with married individuals with families or single parents who obtained a visa, let it expire, but have not committed any criminal offenses.

The second involves people with expired visas who have committed other offenses such as working when they were not eligible to do so or accepting government services. This group is subject to fines and would be expected to repay costs of government services they have used. They also would have to leave the country, and reapply for a visa.

Gov. Gary Herbert said he’ll watch the legislation closely to "see whether I concur."

"It was always thought there was going to be some modification, some changes. That's why the implementation (for HB116) was for 2˝ years later," he said Thursday during the governor's monthly KUED press conference.

"I guess I don't care where it's repeal and replace or modify and replace. I think you can get to the same place of an improved bill."

Whatever happens, Herbert said, he hopes there can be some reconciliation among the various factions on the issue.

The governor sidestepped a question about the bill's so-called "Burbank rule."

"I know there is a difference of opinion on what the local law enforcement people should be doing; that's part of the constitutional challenge we have on the law that is in court today," he said.

Herbert said states are saying if the federal government isn't going to enforce the law, they will. "I think that's the attitude here in Utah," he said.

Some police agencies like that and some don't, Herbert said. "If Chief Burbank doesn't, that's something we'll have to work through," he said.

Herbert also favors a tougher E-Verify law.

"The business community has got to step up. They cannot continue to be a magnet and an enticement and a reward for people that break the law. We can't say 'Come in here and break the law and we’ll give you a job.'"

Email:mcortez@ksl.com

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1901...replaces-hb116
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Repeal of guest worker bill introduced; would strip police certification of chiefs wh

Repeal of guest worker bill introduced; would strip police certification of chiefs who don't enforce immigration laws

By Marjorie Cortez, Deseret News
    Thursday, Jan. 26, 2012 2:15 p.m. MST

Utah State Capitol before Governor Gary R. Herbert delivers his 2012 State of the State address Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2012, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

SALT LAKE CITY — A bill that backers describe as a "compassionate family-oriented pilot program" has been proposed as a replacement to a controversial guest worker bill that the Utah Legislature passed last year.

HB300, sponsored by Rep. Chris Herrod, R-Orem, would create pilot programs to deal with people who are in the country illegally because they have overstayed visas. But it also targets local police by withholding funding and yanking the Peace Officers and Standard and Training certification of police chiefs whose deparments fail to enforce immigration laws.

Layton Police Chief Terry Keefe, chairman of the Utah Chiefs of Police Association, said Thursday that POST certification is needed "to be a law enforcement officer in any position in the state of Utah."

Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank said the bill, which has been dubbed the "Burbank law" because of his vocal opposition to local police acting as immigration agents, was "very disappointing."

"Why are we wandering down this road?" Burbank said, rather than wait for direction when the Supreme Court rules on Arizona's controversial immigration enforcement law.

If Herrod's measure is intended to be intimidating, it fails on its face, Burbank said. "It does not make me change my position."

HB300 would hinder police in their primary mission, Burbank said. Worse, such proposals unnecessarily spread fear among undocumented immigrants as well as families with mixed immigration status, he said.

"When local law enforcement is not protecting everyone and not accessible to everyone, we're not doing our job," he said.

If people view local police also as immigration agents, they will be reluctant to seek help when they are victims of crimes. "That's a scary situation. That's when criminal activity thrives," he said.

Because of the department's community policing efforts, the city's crime rate is at a 26-year low, "and this is despite a fairly large population of 'illegal immigrants' they're all worried about and this legislation supposedly targets."

HB300 would apply only to people who have overstayed visas. People who entered the country illegally could not participate in the program, Herrod said, noting that legislation should not condone breaking the law.

Herrod, who is running for the U.S. Senate, said in a previous interiew that he would introduce the law as an "olive branch" to the Republican Party. Delegates at Republican Party county conventions throughout the state passed resolutions calling for the repeal of HB116, the guest worker bill passed last year.

The bill, if passed, would require changes in federal law before the pilot program could be implemented.

The program establishes two paths for people with expired visas to eventually regain legal status. One tier deals with married individuals with families or single parents who obtained a visa, let it expire, but have not committed any criminal offenses.

The second involves people with expired visas who have committed other offenses such as working when they were not eligible to do so or accepting government services. This group is subject to fines and would be expected to repay costs of government services they have used. They also would have to leave the country, and reapply for a visa.

Gov. Gary Herbert said he’ll watch the legislation closely to "see whether I concur."

"It was always thought there was going to be some modification, some changes. That's why the implementation (for HB116) was for 2˝ years later," he said Thursday during the governor's monthly KUED press conference.

"I guess I don't care where it's repeal and replace or modify and replace. I think you can get to the same place of an improved bill."

Whatever happens, Herbert said, he hopes there can be some reconciliation among the various factions on the issue.

The governor sidestepped a question about the bill's so-called "Burbank rule."

"I know there is a difference of opinion on what the local law enforcement people should be doing; that's part of the constitutional challenge we have on the law that is in court today," he said.

Herbert said states are saying if the federal government isn't going to enforce the law, they will. "I think that's the attitude here in Utah," he said.

Some police agencies like that and some don't, Herbert said. "If Chief Burbank doesn't, that's something we'll have to work through," he said.

Herbert also favors a tougher E-Verify law.

"The business community has got to step up. They cannot continue to be a magnet and an enticement and a reward for people that break the law. We can't say 'Come in here and break the law and we’ll give you a job.'"

Repeal of guest worker bill introduced; would strip police certification of chiefs who don't enforce immigration laws | Deseret News
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Utah:

1 Bishop, Rob 202-225-0453
    324 25TH ST.OGDEN UT 84401-2310
    Representative Rob Bishop
    Rep. Rob Bishop | Facebook
    Twitter

2 Matheson, Jim 202-225-3011
    240 MORRIS AVE. SOUTH SALT LAKE UT 84115-3277
    https://mathesonforms.house.gov/contact-form
    Rep. Jim Matheson | Facebook
    Twitter

3 Chaffetz, Jason 202-225-7751
    3895 W 7800 S. WEST JORDAN UT 84088-5617
    https://chaffetz.house.gov/contact/email-me.shtml
    Jason Chaffetz | Facebook
    Twitter
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Utah US Senators:

Orrin Hatch (202) 224-5251 Cedar City, UT 84720
    Email Orrin - Contact - United States Senator Orrin Hatch
    Twitter
    Orrin Hatch - Politician - Murray, Utah | Facebook
    104 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
    (202) 224-5251
    Lee, Mike (202) 224-5444 St. George, UT 84770
    316 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510 (202) 224-5444
    http://lee.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact
    Twitter
    United States Senator Mike Lee | Facebook
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn