Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bill Would Make English State’s Official Language

It's about time Maryland started to do something in this area. This is not a lot, but it's a start!!!

http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com/?p=772

Bill Would Make English State’s Official Language
    The WBAL TV Channel 11

Annapolis, MD — Immigrants from all over the region converged on Annapolis Thursday in an effort to defeat several proposed bills.

WBAL-TV 11 News reporter David Collins reported that one of the bills declares English as the state’s official language and another targets day-labor centers.

Collins said legal aliens and naturalized citizens gathered in opposition to as many as five bills they consider anti-immigration.

‘Just look at us and tell me if we look like criminals. Tell me if we look like terrorists, if the children that we have are to be feared. We are seeing an attack on foreign born in the United States that is unprecedented,’ said Montgomery County Delegate Ana Sol Gutierrez, D-District 18.

Delegate Pat McDonough, R-District 7, whose district encompasses portions of Baltimore and Harford counties, has sponsored legislation to establish English as the official language.

‘Nothing can be written in other languages without also being written in English. It doesn’t affect the private sector, it’s a modest proposal. This is a bill and a law that has been passed in 33 other states,’ he said.

The bill mandates that all road signs, state and local government documents — including wills, drivers license applications and legal notices — be printed in English.

‘I’m one of the immigrants in the House,’ said Baltimore County Delegate Shirley Nathan-Pulliam, D-District 10. ‘We will work to make sure that this does not become law.’

Three other bills target day-labor centers.

‘The point is now that they are totally unregulated. This (bill) would require a license like any other business license,’ McDonough said. ‘It would have to be done every year and they would have to record the people that they service, whether they are legal or not. Illegal (aliens) would not be permitted to use the services.’

‘Just look at us and tell me if we look like criminals. Tell me if we look like terrorists, if the children that we have are to be feared. We are seeing an attack on foreign born in the United States that is unprecedented,’ said Montgomery County Delegate Ana Sol Gutierrez, D-District 18.
    This statement is irrelevant. If they entered here illegally, then they need to be deported. Another latin leader who sides with his culture rather than the laws that he has sworn to uphold.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)