Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Birthright Citizenship Under Attack

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/st ... tizen.html
    Birthright citizenship under attack

By MARY LOU PICKEL, EUNICE MOSCOSO
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 09/29/05

Silvia Moreno snuck across the U.S. border from Mexico and made it to Atlanta to join her husband last year.

When she gave birth this year, she named her daughter Scarlett, after Scarlett O'Hara.
    Six-month-old Scarlett Alvarado Moreno, who was named for the heroine in the famous Atlanta novel 'Gone With the Wind,' is a U.S. citizen because she was born here. The baby's mother, Silvia (above), father and 4-year-old brother are not.

Moreno, 26, had watched "Gone With the Wind" and was inspired by the Atlanta heroine.

"She worked so hard. She overcame adversity to survive," said Moreno, who wants her daughter to develop the same strength.

Scarlett Alvarado Moreno, 6 months, is a U.S. citizen because she was born here; her mother, father, and 4-year-old brother are illegal immigrants.

Millions of families like Scarlett's will be the focus of a hearing today before a U.S. House subcommittee in Washington to discuss birthright citizenship, dual citizenship and its effect on national sovereignty.

As President Bush opens the debate on a temporary worker program that could allow immigrant laborers to come into the United States, the issue of what happens to their children has come to the forefront.

Although revoking the birthright guarantee is not likely to be part of Congress' immigration reform agenda this fall, there are increasing signs lawmakers are thinking about altering a privilege grounded in common law and the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.

The proposals come in a post-9/11 time of increasing suspicion toward illegal immigrants. Several bills have been introduced.

Rep. Nathan Deal (R-Ga.) wants to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to limit automatic citizenship at birth to children of U.S. citizens and lawful residents. Rep. Mark Foley (R-Fla.) introduced a constitutional amendment that also would limit birthright citizenship. Such an amendment would require ratification by three-fourths of the states.

'Anchor babies'

A proposal by Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.), who heads a 90-member caucus pushing to tighten immigration laws, would deny citizenship to U.S.-born children of temporary immigrant workers.

Tancredo said the provision is vital because temporary workers would not want to leave after their visas expire if their children are U.S. citizens, or so-called anchor babies.

Moreno, of Atlanta, thinks it's unjust to deny citizenship to children born in the United States because their parents, although illegal, work hard.

"People work so much, and they give their youth to this country," Moreno said.

Moreno wanted Scarlett to be an American because with the blue American passport, "the doors of the world are open to her," she said.

Mexicans have a harder time getting tourist visas to see the world, she said.

Dan Stein, president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a national group that lobbies to reduce illegal immigration, said the lure of U.S. citizenship for children is a "huge incentive" for people to come to the United States illegally because it opens the door to many social benefits.

Also, once they reach 21, the U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants can petition for their parents' residency. Family reunification often is cited as a reason for amnesty proposals.

There were 6.3 million illegal immigrant families in the United States in 2004, according to a study released in June by the Pew Hispanic Center. Most of them â€â€
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Moreno wanted Scarlett to be an American because with the blue American passport, "the doors of the world are open to her," she said.

Mexicans have a harder time getting tourist visas to see the world, she said.
    Hummm I think they are trying to tell you something.

"The only thing that this kind of change gets you ... is stateless people, which doesn't solve any problem," said Cecilia Munoz, vice president for policy at the National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic civil rights organization.

"This is not a matter of immigration policy, this is a matter of changing who we are fundamentally as a nation," she said.
    Take your poopsicle back la Raza Nazi. It doesn't change US. These people are stateless already, they never were apart of America they are ILLEGAL!!!! It is very insulting to hear here dictate what we as Americans are fundamentally as a Nation, she represents mexico and mexican Nationals, NOT AMERICA!!!

"There will be a lot of illegals here if they don't let the children be citizens," she said as she pushed a stroller with her 7-month-old daughter through Plaza Fiesta on Buford Highway in DeKalb County.
    There already is, what is your point?

She's glad her younger son has U.S. citizenship.

"If he weren't a citizen, they'd take away Medicaid," she said.
    Is this supposed to make me sad and begin to tear up? I hope the Medicaid that I pay with my taxes is taken away from your Illegal anchor baby, and given to the American that is suffering and needing to work at the age of 70!!!

My views are harsh but I do not cower from my ideals. We are fighting a ferocious enemy and candy coating and being PC will get you no where quick, and after all the PC movement is the introduction to the end of our First Amendment right! Don't sugar coat things for me, I'm not a frosted flake
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. I say take your blue passport and follow the yellow brick road back to Mexico. You sure didn't care about any passports coming into the United States illegally.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn