Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Black SC lawmaker: Immigrants are hardest workers

Black SC lawmaker: Immigrants are hardest workers

By SEANNA ADCOX
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011; 8:19 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- An African-American lawmaker in South Carolina said Tuesday that stricter illegal immigration laws would hurt the state because blacks and whites don't work as hard as Hispanics.

State Sen. Robert Ford made his remarks during a Senate committee debate over an Arizona-style immigration law, eliciting a smattering of nervous laughter in the chamber after he said "brothers" don't work as hard as Mexicans. He continued that his "blue-eyed brothers" don't either.

Once his ancestors were freed from slavery, he said, they didn't want to do any more hard work, so they were replaced by Chinese and Japanese.

"We need these workers here. A lot of people aren't going to do certain type of work in this country," said Ford, D-Charleston. "The brothers are going to find ways to take a break. Ever since this country was built, we've had somebody do the work for us."

He recalled to senators that four workers in the country illegally showed up on his lawn and finished mowing, edging and other work in 30 minutes that would take others much longer, and only wanted $10 for the job. He went on to say he recommended the workers to his neighbors, and one local lawn care businessman lost work - a story one senator remarked was hurting, not helping, his case.

The executive director of the state GOP called on Ford to apologize.

"It's abhorrent and incredibly offensive that any elected official would make comments this racist," said executive director Joel Sawyer.

Ford, who ran unsuccessfully for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination last year, said he'd apologize, but he doesn't know what for, or what it would change.

Through the generations, whenever one immigrant group becomes "Americanized," they stop working hard, he said.

"Black guys and white guys are going to get out there and do the hard work? No. I'm for America, and America's a country of immigrants," Ford said later when reached on his cell phone. "Everybody in America finds ways to take a break."

To his critics, he said, "They're taking life too serious. My advice is for them to get a life and to learn American history."

The state NAACP leader called Ford's wording unfortunate, and that Ford should have spoken in the larger context from the start, rather than further stereotypes.

"All human beings that I know of share both positive and negative traits," said Lonnie Randolph with the South Carolina chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. "All individuals share the same shortcomings."

Ford's comments came during debate on a proposal of a measure similar to one in Arizona that directs officers during a traffic stop or something similar to check the immigration status of people they suspect are in the country illegally. Producing a valid driver's license, passport or military ID would satisfy the query.

South Carolina's bill differs in that it directs local law enforcement to call Immigrations and Customs Enforcement to alert them. If ICE agents don't respond, the suspect has the right to a bond hearing.

http://oneoldvet.com/

www.washingtonpost.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Just amazing. A black lawmaker is pretty much stating we need some form of slavery because non slaves get lazy. Then goes on to admit how he got his lawn taken care of by illegals for only $10 and what a bargain that was.

This guy is nuts for those kind of comments. I hope he gets fried politically for calling whites and blacks lazy scum who hate to work.... unless they are slaves.

He recalled to senators that four workers in the country illegally showed up on his lawn and finished mowing, edging and other work in 30 minutes that would take others much longer, and only wanted $10 for the job. He went on to say he recommended the workers to his neighbors, and one local lawn care businessman lost work - a story one senator remarked was hurting, not helping, his case.
    Can you believe this, the man actually admitted to breaking the law. He confessed to knowingly hiring illegal alien labor!

Folks should be lining up to challenge the guy when his term is up. They will certainly have some strong ammunition to utilize.

Senator Robert Ford

Senator Robert Ford

Democrat - Charleston

District 42 - Charleston County - Map
    Columbia Address

506 Gressette Bldg.
    Columbia, 29201

Home Phone (803) 798-9220

Business Phone (803) 212-6124
    Home Address

P.O. Box 21302
    Charleston, 29413

Home Phone (843) 852-0777

Business Phone (843) 813-1777

*****Arrested 73 times during civil rights movement*****
    so after fighting the civil rights fight he gives up on his own people!

This man is a disgrace, not only to Black Americans but to ALL Americans. After those comments I dare say he has now lost the "black vote"!
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/members/...606818109.html

You can contact him thru the above link. I did!

This man simply doesn't understand that illegals compete for jobs directly with poorly educated blacks. He's throwing his own people under the bus so he can get cheap landscaping. He's also indirectly saying that illegals should not be given citizenship because then they'd become lazy and we'd need another wave of illegal workers.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

A law maker breaking the law, and encouraging others to do the same,
    this just keeps getting better and better!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They may work hard but they sure do expect taxpayers to support their illegal dependents and anchor children.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

you want to back that story up Im 72 & we still work just as hard as you do the gov stop all of our SSC & hand it over to The Illegal Immigrant . for 2 years & we still can not get any thing the Black & the white work just as hard aSyou do so don't go down that street
    they come over for work yes cheap . & they every thing free & they kill & Rap . they live the good Life our country & we have to PAY
    SO DON'T SAY THEY WORK HARD ? THEY DON'T WE ARE THE ONE THAT B OUR S/// FOR WHAT . THIS IS OUR COUNTRY . & YES WE WILL OUT WORK YOU ilLEGAL IMMIGRANTS ANY DAY oF THE WEEK
    YES FOR THE RIGHT PAY & THE COMPANY DON'T WANT TO Pay
    Hurry up Donald T get IN so you can clean up Our Country
    No Amnesty

Quote Originally Posted by southBronx
    you want to back that story up Im 72 & we still work just as hard as you do the gov stop all of our SSC & hand it over to The Illegal Immigrant . for 2 years & we still can not get any thing the Black & the white work just as hard aSyou do so don't go down that street
    they come over for work yes cheap . & they every thing free & they kill & Rap . they live the good Life our country & we have to PAY
    SO DON'T SAY THEY WORK HARD ? THEY DON'T WE ARE THE ONE THAT B OUR S/// FOR WHAT . THIS IS OUR COUNTRY . & YES WE WILL OUT WORK YOU ilLEGAL IMMIGRANTS ANY DAY oF THE WEEK
    YES FOR THE RIGHT PAY & THE COMPANY DON'T WANT TO Pay
    Hurry up Donald T get IN so you can clean up Our Country
    No Amnesty
    I do not think you will find harder workers then the citizens of this country and MORE EFFICIENT. That is a proven fact. These illegals only "rip and tear" with no concerns of quality.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Banned
    I would really like to know from this crack-head lawmaker who he thinks worked harder to BUILD this country!!

The ones who MADE this country what it is today!

It sure wasn't the " hard working hispanics"

The "hard working hispanics" seem to be destroying this country at every turn. Dividing us by crying rascism, bigotry, nativism, xenaphobia ,etc.

Yea, they sure are hard working, working at destroying this great nation and turning it in to the sh*t holes they came from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast