Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bob Goodlatte Rejects 'Special' Citizenship Path For Immigrants In The U.S. Illegally

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bob Goodlatte Rejects 'Special' Citizenship Path For Immigrants In The U.S. Illegally

By ERICA WERNER 08/19/13 07:59 PM ET EDT
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 11: Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, Bob Goodlatte(R-VA) on July, 11, 2013 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Bill O'Leary/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

VERONA, Va. — The chairman of the House Judiciary Committee is rejecting the idea of giving immigrants in the U.S. illegally a special pathway to citizenship.

Republican congressman Bob Goodlatte of Virginia also says he'll do everything he can to ensure the House never takes up the Senate's comprehensive immigration bill, which includes a path to citizenship for the 11 million immigrants in the country illegally.

Goodlatte said the House will proceed with individual immigration bills once lawmakers return to Washington in September from their summer recess.

He reiterated that no one here illegally should get a special path to citizenship. Goodlatte has said people here illegally could get some other legal status and from there achieve citizenship through existing methods.

He made his comments at a town hall meeting Monday night.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3782514.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is why I keep voting for him. Keep up the good work Bob.

Lawmaker pressed on immigration reform at town-hall meeting

By Jordy Yager - 08/19/13 09:26 PM ET
    The Hill

VERONA, Va. — Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) faced off against more than three dozen immigration reform advocates at a packed town hall meeting at the Augusta County Government Center on Monday evening.

The 11-term congressman fielded questions ranging from government spying programs to background checks on gun purchases and defunding ObamaCare before a packed room of about 200 voters for nearly two hours.

But the focus of the evening for the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee was immigration reform, as Goodlatte defended his step-by-step approach and explained his desire to implement enforcement mandates before creating a pathway to legal status for people in the country unlawfully.

Jossimar Diaz-Castro, a 22-year-old Latino who is in the U.S. legally, pressed Goodlatte on why he wouldn’t take up the Senate-passed immigration bill when it has border security requirements written into it.

“I am troubled by your proclamation that border security will not be dealt with before documentation is given to immigrants,” said Diaz-Castro, who is a member of the Virginia Organizing activist group.

“The current comprehensive immigration reform bill does provide that the benchmark of 90 percent of border security before citizenship can be given to…”

Goodlatte interrupted the Harrisonburg resident to argue that under the Senate bill, while citizenship would not be easily attained, legal status could still be given to illegal immigrants before the border security requirements are instituted.

“Citizenship, but not legal status,” said Goodlatte.

“In my opinion a great many people who are not lawfully here, the main thing they want is to be lawfully here. Well, if you give them that status before you secure the border, I think you’re repeating the mistake of 1986,” the lawmaker said.

“We’ve had a far greater problem with illegal immigration because we’ve had more people come in because we haven’t enforced the laws that are already on the books,” Goodlatte said.

More than three dozen people stood up with Diaz-Castro to express their support for the Senate-passed bill.

But proponents of Goodlatte’s approach appeared to dominate the room.

Goodlatte received an overwhelming amount of applause after explaining why addressing visa enforcement, employment verification mandates and guest worker reform — among others measures — was necessary before creating a pathway for legal status.

Another of the meeting’s participants, Dayana Torres, who co-founded the Dreamers of Virginia group and was brought to the U.S. illegally as a child, asked Goodlatte to take up a bill that would create a pathway to citizenship for young people like her.

Goodlatte said he expected that a bill addressing children in the country illegally would be introduced “soon” and that he would be taking the matter up when Congress returns in September. He stipulated that there had been no consensus among Republicans on the specifics of how to move forward on the issue.

“We have to take this one step at a time,” he said. “I think there’s a decent chance that we will take something up, but we have to have enough consensus within the majority, and hopefully we’ll get some support from the minority party as well, to be able to actually move it out of the committee. So we’re going to find out when we get back.”

The so-called gun show loophole, which allows people to sell guns at some gun shows without requiring a background check of the buyer, was also raised as a concern, with one voter asking Goodlatte to explain why he would be in favor of making it easier for potential criminals to buy guns.

Goodlatte objected to the premise of the man’s question. A measure that would have required background checks for all gun sales at gun shows failed to pass the Senate earlier this year.

“First of all, it’s not a gun show loophole. It is an exception to the background check law for individuals, and I’m not going to support something that further deprives the right of individual United States citizens to exercise their lawful Second Amendment right,” said Goodlatte to a large amount of applause.

While Goodlatte acknowledged that perhaps some criminals buy their firearms at gun shows to avoid facing a background check, the veteran lawmaker argued that most purchase their weapons illegally on the street.

“I’m sure that some criminals do that, but most criminals buy their gun out on the street, and you know that as well as I do,” he said.

Goodlatte also argued for more oversight of the National Security Agency’s spying programs, a repeal of ObamaCare and promised to investigate the IRS by pressing incoming FBI Director James Comey on the matter when Congress returns from its recess next month.

As the sun set after the close of the largely cordial meeting, the dozens of immigration reform advocates gathered outside the building on the steps holding signs and chanting: “What do we want? Immigration reform." “When do want it? Now.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/31...m-at-town-hall
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Beware: Bob Goodlatte is being cagey. He keeps talking about a "legal status" without citizenship, but that's still amnesty. Rejecting a "special" path to citizenship and the citizenship issue are beside the point.

And he's peddling a "Dream Act" type of amnesty.

We all know if any bill goes to conference with the Senate, amnesty passes and the American people lose.

And we all know that Obama would sign any legalization bill -- even ostensibly without citizenship -- because in about 2 minutes after the bill was signed, he knows the GOP would soon cave.

Questions to ask Goodlatte:

1) in light of what Charles Schumer has recently said, do you oppose any bill going to conference -- where the Democrats along with some Republicans -- would ensure that mass amnesty passes?

2) in your bill, would all the enforcement measures (E-Verify, visa entrance/exit, interior enforcement, double-layered border fence as mandated in 2006) be up and running and fully operational for at least several years come BEFORE ANY TYPE of legal status??

Immigration reform just got punched in the gut

The top GOP immigration bill writer says he opposes eventual citizenship -- even for Dreamers. That's a problem

By Brian Beutler
    August 20, 2013
    salon.com

How likely is immigration reform to become law if the Republican with the most immediate power to shape the legislation opposes citizenship for current immigrants?

I’d say not very likely — not without him and the contingent in the party he speaks for getting tossed under the bus.

“I would not give what I call a special pathway to citizenship to anyone who’s illegally in the United States,” Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt.

I would not give them a status that people, who have for generations followed the law –and sometimes it takes them a decade or more to comply with the law– to legally immigrate to the United States. The Senate bill gives immediate legal status, ah, to 11 million people and then it has a long pathway to citizenship, at least 10 years before they can even apply for their Green Card, but it allows them to do that even though they do not have a family member who is already a United States citizen or permanent resident, a spouse, a employer who can show that they can’t find a U.S. citizen to fill the job.

In my opinion if you, after you have the borders secure and these enforcement mechanisms in place. If you were to do something, I would start first of all with children who were brought here illegally by their parents. They’ve grown up here. They’ve been educated here. They are ready to face the world and they have no documents. I think there’s a more compelling argument to be made for them. But, even for them, I would say that they get a legal status in the United States and not a pathway to citizenship that is created especially for them. In other words, they get that legal status if they have an employer who says I’ve got a job which I can’t find a U.S. citizen and I want to petition for them, ah, they can do that, but I wouldn’t give them the pathway to a Green Card and ultimately citizenship based simply on their entering the country illegally.

Got that? Not just no citizenship for all current immigrants, but no citizenship even for Dreamers.

Immigration reform advocates have been collecting recent statements by individual House Republicans to build a case that there’s significant support in the Republican conference for legislation that will ultimately provide 11 million undocumented immigrants the opportunity to become citizens. But the members who’ve been filmed articulating support for eventual citizenship are by no coincidence exactly the members you’d expect to support a comprehensive bill like the Senate’s immigration legislation: members with statewide or national ambition like Rep. Aaron Schock, R-Ill.; members with large numbers of Latino constituents like Reps. Joe Heck, R-Nev., and Daniel Webster, R-Fla.; members like Dave Reichert, R-Wash., who represent districts that would benefit from increasing the number of high-skilled immigrants allowed in the country (his district also has a substantial Latino population).

There have been no surprises. Goodlatte’s opposition is also unsurprising, but it reflects the views of a significant number of his colleagues. And unless GOP leaders decide to roll him, the legalization measure Republicans might bring to the House floor later this year will foreclose on citizenship for current immigrants.

And keep in mind, Goodlatte isn’t just pandering to conservative talk radio listeners. He’s telling his constituents, including immigration advocates, very similar things.

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/20/immi...ed_in_the_gut/

Very soon, we are going to melt the phonelines in Washington like in 07, we are going to explain it to them again. get ready.
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

Special? How about any path to citizenship for illegals as current law demands Bob you snake!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)