Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Border Patrol agent accused of aiding smugglers

Border Patrol agent accused of aiding smugglers

June 9, 2008 - 12:47PM
    Jeremy Roebuck

McALLEN - A U.S. Border Patrol agent accused of aiding drug and human smugglers made his first appearance in federal court Monday.

Federal authorities arrested Reynaldo Zuniga, 23, along with two Mexican nationals Friday after undercover agents reported that the men guided a one-kilogram load of cocaine across the Rio Grande and to a Wal-Mart parking lot in Pharr

According to a criminal complaint filed in their case, Zuniga picked up accused smuggler Jose Luis "El Bebe" Arteaga Echazarrete near the Hidalgo-Reynosa International Bridge and drove him in his official vehicle to the Whataburger in Hidalgo, just past the customs checkpoints.

From there, a relative - Luis Alfredo Cruz Hurtado - drove Arteaga to Pharr.

After his arrest, Zuniga told investigators that he was paid $1,200 for each load of illegal immigrants or narcotics he helped get across the border, the document states. Investigators believe he had made six similar trips since April.

Zuniga, Arteaga and Cruz remain in the custody of U.S. Marshals, pending a detention hearing currently scheduled for Thursday.

Jeremy Roebuck covers courts and general assignments for The Monitor. You can reach him at (956) 683-4437.

http://tinyurl.com/589ncr
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

AE

This dismays me, to hear that Mexican style corruption is seeping through our borders, and getting hold a some of our own law enforcement.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

I'm sorry but to me you would think you would take an extra close look at those who could have a personal vested interest in breaking the law the for "their" people or being easy targets for payoffs. I mean many business won't hire relatives or won't let you work together if you are married, dating or sometimes even if you're just friends to avert potential working together to commit any range of potential crimes. Whether it's just looking out for friends and family or what it might be. When you KNOW this a potential problem you would think some heavy screening and watching would take place. Don't buddy up just Mexican-Americans together, just incase they have family and friends who are trying to come in illegally. You have to question and wonder where there allegance lies, how long they've been citizens, if they have any remote connections to Mexico which could be a conflict of interest, considering what we've heard there should be a checks and balance there. I mean we have 2 who are suffering greatly for doing their job....quite a few who have helped the criminals and a couple of others who are not Mexican who have. It's not totally a race issue but it bears watching. It's like the fox guarding the hen house.

They don't want physicians treating their own family, teachers teaching their own kid in class, they have lawyers and judges be removed from cases for conflict of interest. You don't want to be black and at the mercy of a vocally racist judge, a man with a 100% jury of angry women, etc. So I believe it's reasonable to question and wonder.......maybe it's just the news I've heard but I am amazed at what sounds like a huge number of hispanics guarding the southern border. Does anyone have any knowledge as to what the ratio is? Not to mention the huge temptation for aiding when such big money can be made. For anyone.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

AE

I think when it comes to Hispanic Americans being more prdominant guarding our southern border is several things. First is that demographically, many simply do live down there ancestorally or from recent immigrations, and the language issue is to their benefit. Many who do live down there still speak Spanish and this is a benefit in them getting the jobs, but also for our Border Patrol to have someone who needs no instruction in Spanish in order to be effective in their jobs.

I have to believe most do their job well and honeslty, and love their country, there will always be a few bad apples, but that is across the board.

I can guarantee the added income was a huge reason this young man decided that his own job, future and freedom was less important, but he was foolish and likely did not think far enough ahead, and felt invincible enough (as is so common with someone so young), that he did not fear getting caught.
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€