Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Border Patrol to discuss abuse report as damning video resurfaces

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Border Patrol to discuss abuse report as damning video resurfaces

gvnews.com
    By Philip Franchine Green Valley News
    Updated: 12:18 pm, Sat Feb 25, 2012.

A video of a Border Patrol agent dumping water placed in the desert by a humanitarian group has officials defending agents while promising to address a report detailing thousands of incidents of abuse.

A photo taken from a video posted online by the pro-immigrant group No More Deaths shows a Border Patrol agent dumping jugs of water in the desert.

WATCH THE VIDEO

The seven-minute video shows an agent confronting members of No More Deaths, a Tucson-based advocacy group whose goal is to stem illegal immigrant deaths in the desert. It was posted online in September 2011, in part to illustrate the group’s contention that the culture of the Border Patrol leads to problems it detailed in a 72-page report released that month.

The footage was shot in spring 2010 off of Ruby Road near Arivaca, according to No More Deaths volunteer Adam Aguirre, who said he witnessed the incident.

On the video, an unidentified Border Patrol agent screams and harangues volunteers while dumping jugs filled with water that had been put out for migrants crossing the desert. Several groups have agreements with large public and private property owners allowing them to leave water along migrant trails.

The video is heavily edited, but Aguirre said the agent came running out of the woods when he saw volunteers putting water jugs on the ground and did not ask for identification or what they were doing.

“He never to told us to leave, he was just kind of ranting and raving that we were making his job more difficult,” Aguirre said.

The agent can be heard saying as he drinks from a jug, “I can take it, it’s abandoned property, I can take it. I’m very appreciative of you putting it out.”

He goes on to say, “You’re aiding and abetting felons coming into the country,” and later, clearly agitated, threatens to “tie you all up.”

Border Patrol agent and Tucson Sector spokesman Lloyd Easterling said the video was brought to the agency “some years ago and we have taken steps to address it. We talk to the agents. We’re not going to be out there cutting water bottles or doing things like that. We will leave the water alone.”

Easterling said he could not comment on individual incidents, but said “we expect our agents, given their training and the things we encourage, to act in a professional manner and exhibit good judgment in any situation.”

Easterling said the agent in the video still works for the Border Patrol and declined to identify him or say whether he was disciplined.

2011 NMD report

The video of the agent was used as part of an online presentation by No More Deaths to explain its work in the desert and was posted the same month it released a lengthy report titled, “Culture of Cruelty: Abuse and Impunity in Short-Term U.S. Border Patrol Custody.”

The report alleges that “the abuse, neglect and dehumanization of migrants is part of the institutional culture of the Border Patrol, reinforced by an absence of meaningful accountability mechanisms. This systemic abuse must be confronted aggressively at the institutional level, not denied or dismissed as a series of aberrational incidents attributed to a few rogue agents.”

No More Deaths says it interviewed nearly 13,000 people who had been in Border Patrol custody from fall 2008 to spring 2011, and found thousands were given little or no food; many were not given water despite signs of dehydration; others were bruised or cut while in custody; many were denied medical care; some were separated from family members or were not given back personal belongings; and many were subject to what NMD calls verbal, physical or psychological abuse.

The report calls upon the Border Patrol to allow humanitarian, medical and legal observers to enter lock-ups to view conditions, which it says are often overcrowded.

Easterling said the Border Patrol has met with No More Deaths and other humanitarian groups, and “We agreed to continue those meetings and take a look at issues involving both the Border Patrol and humanitarian groups.”

“We’re still assessing (the report) and looking at the recommendations they made at the end of the report. We have established that our end result is the same. We absolutely do not want to have any more deaths in the desert,” Easterling said.

No More Deaths spokeswoman Sara Launius said the first meeting had been scheduled for Friday, Feb. 24, but was postponed because key NMD volunteers could not attend. Launius said the first meeting will be an overview of the report and subsequent meetings will tackle individual issues such as access to medical care for sick, injured or dehydrated detainees, how they are transported and conditions in detention facilities.

Easterling said, “We’re coming up on being able to talk together afterwards (publicly) on what we have discussed. It could be a statement by the two of us.”

Despite the video and whatever fallout there may have been at the time, Aguirre said volunteers regularly find slashed water bottles and in some cases have seen Border Patrol vehicles leaving the areas where bottles where slashed.

Representatives from groups in and around Green Valley say Border Patrol agents are overwhelmingly courteous and helpful in most cases and that one agent shouldn’t cast a shadow over the good work of the rest.

Easterling said the Border Patrol is “continuing to work at collaborating and coordinating, having better relations every day with humanitarian aid groups and other community groups.”

pfranchine@gvnews.com | 547-9738

Border Patrol to discuss abuse report as damning video resurfaces - Green Valley News: News
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

“you’re aiding and abetting felons coming into the country,”
    dares to speak the truth!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why don't these humanitarian groups go to Mexico and advocate for the people there instead of playing political games in this country? I would think that the cartels would welcome their assistance with giving their drug mules, enforcers and paying customers an easier trip.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Exactly!!!!!!!!! Mexico needs to do something for their own people. Instead we are being invaded and displaced in our own country through no fault of our own.

Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Its truely pathetic when the media tries to make LAW Enforcement look bad, for combatting the criminals and doing the RIGHT thing..
    This man IS a BORDER Patrol Officer, its his JOB and duty as such to Keep these people AWAY from helping aid CRIMINALS!..He should have locked them up, an Example has to be made somehow, so on down the line, peole know, If you aid a Criminal, you WILL have Consequenses...Corrupt Media I swear..Also, Im so TIRED of hearing people use the ol "you're racist" card
    Ive said it a MILLION times, I'll have you know that I am MIXED (My father comes from Italy) and My mom is American born from a Native American mom(my grandma) and a carribean father(my grandpa)...

My grandma lived on a Res until she met and married my grandpa, and my dad came from Italy, ONLY AFTER, Paying the Immigration fees and Waiting in line for his papers to be 100% Approved!!
    He Spoke English Fluently BEFORE asking to come here...He Appreciates and is Proud to be American, He NEVER got a "Freebie", He NEVER got a "Pass"...yet he is Here, Legal and Happy to be American and has ALWAYS paid his dues!

So there you have it, I cannot possibly be a racist with such a bloodline, I simply know the value of FOLLOWING LAWS and Making LEGAL choices, NOT Scamming the system then Protesting when your butt is faced with consequenses for Criminal, Illegal activity!

The people who are trying to be humane don't see how many of our citizens are killed, raped and maimed by illegals? These humanitarians don't seem to think about the poor citizen who is struggling to feed his family and trying desperately to find employment. They say the border patrol cops are cruel, yet it is cruel to be displaced in your own country unable to find work or provide for your children, being forced to speak spanish etc. It is cruel to lose a loved one who would still be alive if it was't for an illegal who took their life.

Illegals have all the encouragement they need to invade our country. They get food and water along their journey to get here, they have children on our soil, get free medical, free schooling for their children and cheap housing and jobs. Many work under the table and don't have to pay taxes. Many have no desire to become legal and they get rewarded at every turn.

Give those fine agents a medal for removing these ridiculous incentives to illegal entry!