http://www.voicenews.com/stories/112305 ... s001.shtml

UPDATED Nov. 23, 2005 9:16 AM EST
PUBLISHED: Wednesday, November 23, 2005
Border Patrol thanks Algonac police for help

BY KYLE LOHMEIER
VOICE STAFF WRITER
The Algonac Police Department, and two officers in particular, were honored by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security at the Algonac City Council's Tuesday, Nov. 15 meeting.
Advertisement

Richard Nemitz, patrol agent in charge of the border patrol's Detroit sector headquarters, presented the signed commendations to Sgt. Ed Silver and to Chief Richard Torongeau. Officer Scott Riddell also received a commendation, but wasn't in attendance to receive it. Torongeau accepted the commendation for the entire department on its behalf.

The proclamations were for the officers' service in the apprehension of a dangerous illegal alien in July 2005.

"I know this is long over-due. We're very busy,“ Nemitz said at the beginning of the presentation.

On July 15, a call came in to the Algonac Police Department regarding a suspicious person spotted by a resident. Silver and Riddell responded and prevented the man, a Jamaican national, from leaving the area while Border Patrol agents were on their way. The suspect had an active warrant for his arrest for attempted murder in Toronto, Canada.

"We got a call through dispatch that a boat had come up the canal behind Snoopy's. It came in at a high rate of speed, slowed down for a passenger to jump off, spun around and took off at a high rate of speed,“ Silver said.

He added that dispatch tried to scramble the St. Clair County Sheriff Marine Division to intercept the boat, but couldn't do so.

Silver said he and Riddell responded to Snoopy's, and Riddell got there first.

"Riddell beat me there. He found the guy sitting in Snoopy's having a Heineken. We brought him outside,“ Silver said.

The suspect gave Riddell and Silver a series of conflicting stories. He claimed his friend dropped him off after he and his girlfriend had a fight while fishing, stating they lived in Detroit. Silver and Riddell weren't sold on the story and contacted Border Patrol, which responded. They determined the suspect was in the country illegally and took him into custody. He was extradited to Canada on the attempted murder charges.

Nemitz was very appreciative of the officers' efforts.

"I would like to ... express my appreciation to you for your participation in this arrest. Your dedication and professionalism is a credit to you and the Algonac Police Department. In an era of constant threat, your heightened vigilance is a great asset toward the protection of the American Homeland,“ Nemitz said.

Silver acknowledged the citation meant a lot, coming from an outside agency, particularly the Border Patrol. He added that Algonac's unique location relative to Canada and islands in the St. Clair River has made it a hot spot for alien trafficking, an organized crime more vast and complicated than most small towns.

"I understand Port Huron and Marysville have their share of illegals, but so close to Canada as we are, they frequently come over here from Walpole and other parts of Canada where they can cross over onto Harsen's Island. So, I think it's the location,“ Silver said.