Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Brides Tried To Exploit Domestic Violence Loophole In Law

Grooms: Brides Manipulated System

POSTED: 9:37 pm MST April 29, 2009
    UPDATED: 12:39 pm MST April 30, 2009

Valley Men Say Foreign Brides Tried To Exploit Domestic Violence Loophole In Immigration Law

PHOENIX -- Some foreign brides tried to exploit a loophole in immigration law by accusing their husbands of domestic violence, several Valley men say.

These Russian and Ukrainian brides tend to be young -- sometimes 20 years their husband's junior -- and they were very eager to marry, the men said.

Reed Simon met his ex-wife Anna while vacationing in Russia in 2001; after a short courtship, he brought her to Scottsdale and they married. Soon afterward, they had a son.

The wedded bliss ended, however, when police showed up at the Simon house, saying Anna accused Simon of locking her in their home, sexually abusing her and threatening to kill her, Simon said.

It took Simon 18 months and thousands of dollars in legal fees before the charges were dismissed.

"I have since met at least a half-dozen other men who had the same thing that happened to me happen to them," he said.

A man who requested anonymity said a similar incident happened to him.

He met his Ukrainian wife, Valentina, on an Internet dating site, brought her to Arizona and married her within three months.

Less than a year later, the police showed up at his door.

"I woke up one morning to a phone call from a police officer," he said. "(I) went outside and there were five or six guns drawn on me ... They had me get down on my knees, put my hands behind my back, and they put me in a police car."

Valentina apparently told police he tried to kill her with a metal pipe.

In events similar to Simon's case, the charges were dismissed after an 18-month court battle.

5 Investigates talked to one other Scottsdale man who refused to appear on camera.

According to court documents, two days after his Russian bride received her green card she accused him of abuse; a judge later ruled she committed marriage fraud and ordered her to return thousands of dollars worth of possessions.

"It is clear to me that the immigration law is being manipulated," immigration attorney Nicomedes Suriel said after hearing the stories.

An expert in immigration cases, he said some women have found a loophole of sorts in the immigration law. The Violence Against Women Act was established to help foreign women who are victims of domestic violence gain U.S. citizenship. Nevertheless, some foreigners use this to their advantage by falsely claiming abuse.

"In my experience, there is usually someone ... that sort of says, 'Here's what you have to do, here's what you have to say, here's what you do when you call the police," Suriel said. "Unfortunately, that's why I call it gaming the system."

Olga Chaikheeva, who runs the Shield Foundation, is a prominent member of the Russian-American community, according to her Web site, but Simon and the other man said she told their brides to accuse them of abuse.

According to Simon, Chaikheeva told his wife that if she wanted to see her baby again, Anna would have to accuse Simon of domestic abuse.

5 Investigates spoke to Anna -- who is now in Russia -- and she backs up her husband’s claim that Chaikheeva tried to control her. She also confirmed to us what she had written about Chaikheeva in a letter to the prosecutor in her husband’s case:

"(Chaikheeva) went to great lengths to rehearse me on what to say and how to pretend tears in front of the judge and to convince me that I could benefit greatly by doing this ... As I have found out since, she follows the same procedure with all of her 'clients.' Almost all are too afraid to testify against her."
    The man who requested anonymity believes Chaikheeva told his wife to call police.

"The same day I was arrested, Valentina and Olga, they took my passport, my jewelry, the computer," he said. "They drained my accounts."

"I don't think much of her," he added. "I think she's a liar. I know she's a liar."

Chaikheeva declined to comment on the story over the phone; however, she sent an e-mail saying, "SHIELD Foundation staff and volunteers are always mindful in regards to their personal safety, which may be jeopardized by a breech of confidentiality of information."

Further attempts to talk to her at the Shield office, her home and her business partner's home were met with silence.

http://www.kpho.com/news/19329313/detail.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"In my experience, there is usually someone ... that sort of says, 'Here's what you have to do, here's what you have to say, here's what you do when you call the police," Suriel said. "Unfortunately, that's why I call it gaming the system."
    That doesn't surprise me one bit. It seems everyone but the citizens of this country know how to game the system. It's not obeying the law, it's how to get around it and who cares who's lives are ruined in the meantime. For the first time, it seems a warning needs to be out to all citizens.....be wary of romance with people not from this country.....coz you risk loosing it all. There's been too many times I've read of people who are knowingly doing this to citizens and there's nothing to protect us.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is common practice. My friend told me how they do it and get a house out of it. She writes bonds and knows the scam. They get married for a greencard and then use domestic violence to get their greencard and out of the marriage. Once the man is arrested they go for the house and other belongings.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So are these mail order brides? I think the practice is absurd and completely degrading to women. How many of these brides are sold against their will at the hands of Russian pimps? I understand that men can get lonely and they want some companionship, but this is not the answer. Stop playing World of Warcraft, move out of your mom's basement, and start socializing! There is someone for everybody.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

In South Florida I can tell you that they are not mail order brides. They are men and women who want to get their greencards the easy way. There are limitations on how many greencards are issued to each country and at one point it took 7 yaers to get a greencard. If a person marries a citizen then it takes under a year. Also the Cubans, Puerto Ricans and some South Americans make money off people by doing so. They charge anywhere from $5,000 and up for a marriage for greencard. As long as a person has not stayed here for more than 6 months or overstayed a visa they can marry an American citizen for a greencard. If you ever want a good laugh then go to immigration and watch those so called married couples when they wait in line go in. I was there with relatives and never laughed so hard in my life. Man some of them are horrible actresses or actors.

Re: Brides Tried To Exploit Domestic Violence Loophole In La

PHOENIX -- Some foreign brides tried to exploit a loophole in immigration law by accusing their husbands of domestic violence, several Valley men say.

These Russian and Ukrainian brides tend to be young -- sometimes 20 years their husband's junior -- and they were very eager to marry, the men said.
    I have heard this same story so many time. I hope these young brides are equally as eager to spend some time in an American prison. This loop hole needs to be sealed quickly. Assault is against the law here and they have a right to file charges against their spouse just like anyone else. That should have NO impact on their immigration status.
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Lets not forget that illegal aliens abuse this "domestic violence" scheme also. Man beats up woman, woman gets victim visa. Man gets "deported" and is back living with her or in the area within days. They need to do away with this program altogther.
    "