Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush immigration plan now linked with increased border secur

Posted on Wed, Jun. 22, 2005

Bush immigration plan now linked with increased border security

BY MICHELLE MITTELSTADT

The Dallas Morning News

WASHINGTON - (KRT) - The White House is placing new emphasis on border enforcement to improve the prospects for President Bush's plan to provide temporary guest worker status to illegal immigrants.

The new focus, Sen. John Cornyn and others say, is a result of what the White House has heard from key members of Congress: No immigration liberalization plan will pass without first tackling tougher enforcement.

"What's been missing in the discussion about immigration reform is a strong commitment to border security," said Cornyn, a Texas Republican who chairs the Senate immigration subcommittee. Cornyn predicted the White House would soon issue its priorities for border enforcement.

The White House wouldn't confirm any imminent announcement. Bush "is working closely with Congress on ways to build upon the steps we have taken to strengthen our border security, said Bush spokesman Scott McClellan. He noted that the Border Patrol is receiving funds to hire new agents and use new technologies to detect illegal crossings.

The Senate Appropriations Committee last week approved nearly $1 billion in new funds for border security and immigration and customs enforcement.

Yet a congressional panel on Tuesday highlighted a weakness that has allowed illegal immigration to explode to 11 million to 12 million people: lax interior enforcement.

Congressional investigators said the number of investigations of companies suspected of employing illegal immigrants has plummeted in recent years. Federal investigators went after only three companies last year - down from the 417 firms fined in 1999, the General Accountability Office said.

The administration's focus on border enforcement follows an acknowledgment by Bush this month to congressional leaders that he needs to do a better job selling his immigration plan.

Immigration liberalization advocates and foes alike agree that a tougher White House message on enforcement could provide momentum for immigration changes.

"If they are going to move forward and get something passed, they have to get the Republicans in a position where they are comfortable," said Michele Waslin with the National Council of La Raza, which is pressing to legalize illegal immigrants' status.

Rosemary Jenks, director of government affairs for Numbers USA, a group seeking to reduce illegal immigration, said: "On the House side, for sure, there is already a huge push towards enforcement. And I think those efforts will be made easier because they will at least in appearance have the White House's support."

The Bush guest worker plan would permit illegal immigrants to obtain permits to work here legally for up to six years before returning to their homeland. The plan has been criticized on both sides - conservatives insist it's an amnesty; immigrant-rights advocates complain it doesn't provide for legal permanent residence.

Cornyn and Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., intend to introduce a bill in July that includes a temporary guest worker plan, the details of which are being finalized. The border enforcement component would authorize over five years 10,000 new Border Patrol agents, 1,000 new immigration inspectors and $2.5 billion for border security technologies.

A rival bill by Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., would provide guest workers a path to permanent residence, making them pay a $2,000 fee to legalize their status.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahas ... 959636.htm
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

WE HAVE LAWS NOW BEING IGNORED BY THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION, RIGHT GUYS AND DOLLS???

Isn't that cute, Cornyn and Bush pretending that if they pass "another law" to enforce the law that this Maniac in the White House would enforce the law.

The MANIAC thinks he is above the law so it doesn't matter how many "laws" they pass, this MANIAC isn't going to keep one of his foreign feathered friends OUT of the United States.

NO GUEST WORKER PROGRAM BOYS!!

None. Nada. Zero. Zip.

GET THIS MANIAC AND ALL HIS CRONES OUT OF OUR GOVERNMENT!!

NOW!!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

border crap

I do not, and will not, trust anything coming out of theWhiteHouse on the subject of Border Anything. All these STUPID proposals, no matter how idiotic they think the American people are, point directly to AMNESTY, period.
    IMPEACH BUSH AND PUT TROOPS ON THE BORDER!! DEPORT ILLEGALS!! KEEP INVADERS OUT!!!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm with YOU 100% Butterbean!!

Impeach Bush!!

GET TROOPS TO THE BORDER NOW!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    I'm with YOU 100% Butterbean!!

Impeach Bush!!

GET TROOPS TO THE BORDER NOW!!

I'll have to second it again. Time is running out.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I just saw something disturbing in the grocery store. Apparently some illegals are now taking their "very young" sons to work, now that school is out.

I saw about 7 men in the grocery store (clearly having been working), but there were about 3 young boys with them, looked to be around 11, or 12yrs. old, and they were in the same condition as the men. (clearly having been working).

I'm thinking that they figure they broke immigration laws and got away with it, they're breaking employment laws and getting away with it, so why not go for child labor laws, and get away with it.

Keep a look out in your areas for this. Just one more complication and another indication that when we fail to enforce one law, it leads to the breaking of more laws. We know where it begins, but where does it end?

I dont trust that group in the White House as well.

Legal, You may want to compalinet to Social Services and the Labor Departmnet. I may or may not help. I dont know what the age is for Farm work, I think it is 15 but I cant remember.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    I just saw something disturbing in the grocery store. Apparently some illegals are now taking their "very young" sons to work, now that school is out.

I saw about 7 men in the grocery store (clearly having been working), but there were about 3 young boys with them, looked to be around 11, or 12yrs. old, and they were in the same condition as the men. (clearly having been working).

I'm thinking that they figure they broke immigration laws and got away with it, they're breaking employment laws and getting away with it, so why not go for child labor laws, and get away with it.

Keep a look out in your areas for this. Just one more complication and another indication that when we fail to enforce one law, it leads to the breaking of more laws. We know where it begins, but where does it end?
    maybe it was a father/son day where you take your child to work with you and we just missed hearing it on the news

This bill by Sen. Cornyn and Sen. Jon Kyl is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. It's nothing but talk. This bill is not about border enforcement. It is about AMNESTY.

Another big lie from the Bush people. They are going to take an amnesty and try to get their allies in the corporate media to sell it as Border Security to try and reverse growing public sentiment against their plans.

He GW, the public is mad at our plans...what do we do?

Same thing we always do in a situation like this. Lie to them again.

W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast