Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Bush Open to Revamping "Wet Foot/Dry Foot" Policy

Most of the information was already posted but I didn't see anything mentioned about the wet foot/dry foot statement found in this article.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/ne ... 168981.htm

Posted on Tue, Aug. 01, 2006email thisprint this
    PRESIDENTIAL VISIT
    Bush seeks 'rational' policy for migrants during Miami visitPresident Bush spent the day in Miami, touching base with key constituencies, speaking on the Middle East and raising money for his party.

BY LESLEY CLARK
    lclark@MiamiHerald.com

Citing the contributions of Cubans and Haitians in Miami, President Bush on Monday repeated his call for comprehensive immigration reform, a push that remains stalled in Congress because of opposition within his own party.

With the backdrop of the U.S. Coast Guard station in Miami Beach, which intercepts hundreds of immigrants every year, Bush praised immigrants as ''people who add to our prosperity'' and called it unrealistic to expect that the United States could deport the estimated 10 million or 11 million illegal immigrants.

''Of all the places in our country, Miami understands the importance of the contribution that the newly arrived can make to a society,'' Bush said to applause. ``Rational immigration policy is possible, and it's important for members of the United States Congress to work toward a comprehensive immigration plan.''

But Bush's plea came as House Republican leaders, opposed to a Senate plan that the president supports, signaled their continued opposition by opening another round of hearings aimed at exploring border security and what they called ''the inherent weaknesses'' of the Senate position.

Bush used his Miami visit -- the second of two extended stays outside the Washington Beltway in a month -- to tout his initiatives, including those for port security, tax cuts and hurricane preparedness, and shore up his standing among largely appreciative crowds.

He issued a call for increased trade, saying he's ``worried about protectionist tendencies in the United States, people saying, well, we don't want to, really want to, compete.

''Such policies will damage the Port of Miami; such policies are short-sighted, as far as I'm concerned,'' he said.

THE MIDDLE EAST

But the visit came amid increasing turmoil in the Middle East, and at two stops, Bush repeated his support for Israel's stance, saying Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is ``working urgently to get a sustainable cease-fire, a cease-fire which will last.''

''It is important to remember this crisis began with Hezbollah's unprovoked terrorist attacks against Israel,'' he said at the port. ``Israel is exercising its right to defend itself.''

The trip was remarkable for its length -- but for campaigning, presidential visits to cities generally last a few hours -- and its variety.

With polls showing his popularity percentage hovering in the 30s, Bush reached out to his reliable Republican base, making his first stop cafecito and conversation at fabled Versailles restaurant on Calle Ocho in Little Havana. There, he declared his opposition to Cuban leader Fidel Castro during an interview with Radio Mambí, the reliably anti-Castro, Spanish-language radio station.

Bush then motorcaded to the National Hurricane Center in West Miami-Dade to suggest his administration -- vilified for its response to Hurricane Katrina last year -- would be ready the next time around.

But Bush may have neglected to read the administration's talking points. He suggested ``people need to understand the peak of hurricane season is now through September.''

Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield gently corrected him. The peak of the season runs until ''mid-October,'' Mayfield noted.

Then, it was off to the U.S. Coast Guard station, where Bush touted tax cuts as a way of boosting the economy before boarding a Coast Guard cutter to tour cargo operations at the port. He declared that a boost in spending on port security ''is working.'' Democrats contested that assertion.

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Weston, said Monday that aviation security has received 18 times more money than port security since the 2001 terrorist attacks.

''While aviation security is important, 95 percent of our foreign trade is handled by U.S. ports,'' Wasserman Schultz said.

``This neglect of our nation's port security cannot be allowed to continue.''

The visit drew a few war protesters: at the port, a dozen or so held signs, one of them reading, ``Stop Mad Cowboy Disease.''

`WET FOOT/DRY FOOT'

In an interview with Michael Putney of WPLG-ABC 10, Bush indicated he would be open to suggestions about revamping the ''wet foot/dry foot'' policy that returns some Cuban migrants to the island, but for now ``we'll leave the policy in place.''

And he defended restricting family visits to Cuba, saying Castro uses the trips ``as a way to earn hard currency to keep his tyrannical regime in place.''

Bush capped the visit by raising about $650,000 for the Republican National Committee at a fundraiser at developer Armando Codina's home.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Bush capped the visit by raising about $650,000 for the Republican National Committee at a fundraiser at developer Armando Codina's home.
    A fool and their money are soon parted

And many more such cliches come to mind!!!

So Haliburton made a pit stop I see.

With the backdrop of the U.S. Coast Guard station in Miami Beach, which intercepts hundreds of immigrants every year, Bush praised immigrants as ''people who add to our prosperity'' and called it unrealistic to expect that the United States could deport the estimated 10 million or 11 million illegal immigrants.
    Who's prosperity is this fool talking about? My wallet isn't getting any heavier (alot lighter actually), but my taxes keep increasing. Then again I haven't received my Dick Cheney sized tax return yet, so maybe there's hope yet, no?

Oh yeah it's unrealistic to deport 11 million illegal aliens just like it's unrealistic to expect you to grow a pair and function without drugs and alcohol.

''Of all the places in our country, Miami understands the importance of the contribution that the newly arrived can make to a society,'' Bush said to applause. ``Rational immigration policy is possible, and it's important for members of the United States Congress to work toward a comprehensive immigration plan.''
    If your talking about crime and poverty, Cubans are pretty good for that. Just look at Miami, it's a third world dump.

Bush used his Miami visit -- the second of two extended stays outside the Washington Beltway in a month -- to tout his initiatives, including those for port security, tax cuts and hurricane preparedness, and shore up his standing among largely appreciative crowds.
    Port security? How much do you plan on giving over to Dubai again? Tax Cuts? Dick Cheney and the like are making out good enough. Hurricane preparedness? Just like Katrina?

He issued a call for increased trade, saying he's ``worried about protectionist tendencies in the United States, people saying, well, we don't want to, really want to, compete.
    What a bunch of Orwellian hogwash. Compete? Compete for what, a race to the bottom? We have enough trade. Our security, sovereignty and economy has been compromised for the sake of trade. God forbid us little people want to protect what little we have left. I'm so sick of how this rotten, self centered, self righteous, self serving, hypocritical piece of crap continues to degrade and insult us because we are fed up with how he sells out our country for profit and yet how dare we call him out on it. Yeah Bush your right and everyone else is wrong. You know what the age old question is. If 100 people are marching, 99 of them take a right turn and 1 (that being Bush) takes a left turn then who's out of step? According to Bush we all are and he's not.

Yep I'm a protectionist. I want my country protected so please Bush resign and allow someone who's actually competent and cares about our country to protect it for us.

''Such policies will damage the Port of Miami; such policies are short-sighted, as far as I'm concerned,'' he said.
    Because you know better than everyone else what's best for us you elitiest prick.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm so sick of how this rotten, self centered, self righteous, self serving, hypocritical piece of crap continues to degrade and insult us because we are fed up with how he sells out our country for profit and yet how dare we call him out on it.
    Geez, and I thought I was mad Well said.

It's always about $$$$$$$$$$
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)