Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush Renews Plea 4 Im'gration Leniency over C'gress Opp

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_art ... b0e9090757

Bush Renews Plea for Immigration Leniency Despite Congress Opposition
    Filipino Express, News Report,
    Rita Villadiego, Apr 03, 2005

NEW YORK--President Bush pledged last Wednesday to make a fresh push for stalled immigration reforms despite strong opposition from Congress to legalize undocumented workers.

The Knight Ridder Newspapers reported that Bush told Mexican President Vicente Fox in a meeting in his Texas ranch, that he would keep pushing for more lenient immigration laws, but said he couldn't guarantee that Congress would go along.

Immigration is a sensitive issue for both Mexico and the U.S. as America is determined to tighten its border to stop the illegal crossing of thousands of Mexicans into the border. In the aftermath of September 11 terrorist attacks, the government has been more strict in its border control and in scrutinizing even legal immigrants in airports. Immigration reforms were put in the backseat.

There are 8 to 12 million illegal immigrants working in the U.S., struggling to build a better future for their children. Their valuable work is an engine for economic growth. Bush wants to provide these workers legal status, through a temporary working permit, that would give them more protection, allow them to pay taxes and make them easily monitored for security purposes.

Immigrant rights advocates are pushing for the passage of the SOLVE Act bill pending in Congress that would allow undocumented workers to have legal status and a chance to be permanent residents.

Republicans and Democrats are divided on immigration issues. Some legislators believe that the plan must include a temporary working permit, and perhaps permanent residency and those who advocate for stricter policy to remove undocumented workers.

Instead of legalizing immigrants, Congress and some state legislatures, filed bills recently disallowing illegal aliens from having legal IDs, driver’s licenses and funds for health and education.

Knight Ridder said that the illegal immigrant population has reached an all-time high of nearly 11 million. The study by the Pew Hispanic Center, a private research group based in Washington, also found that undocumented Mexicans accounted for 57 percent of all illegal entrants.

Bush reiterated his calls to match working with willing employers. “That job ought to be filled on a legal basis, no matter where the person comes from. That makes sense,� Bush said.

User Comments

Robert Baker Apr 03, 2005 14:39:15

The presidents continued stubborn stand for amnesty for illegal immigrants, when it is very clear that the major portion of U.S. Citizens are fed up with it amazes me. Because of the push for this legalization of the illegals I have withdrawn my financial, and political support for the Republican Party afterhaving been a meber for over 50 years. Our president, and members of congress have asked our youth, and members of the military to step forward and make the sacrifice of their lives in our war on terrorisim, and they congress and the administration lack the intestinal fortitude to even began to enforece the existing Immigration laws, and attempt to secure our borders.

Ellen Stallworth Apr 03, 2005 13:37:24

This media is well aware, there will be no immigration law passed that would grant any legal work permission to illegal living in the USA.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

I hope everyone here agrees with me. I will not vote for any candidate, incumbent or not, who supports amnesty of any kind, or who fails to support measures to deport illegal aliens and close the border. This is the essence of a letter to my three representatives today. It's a simple mission, albeit difficult to do.
    '58 Airedale

That's a new wrinkle in my horns...what is the SOLVE Act??

No, I will never support anyone with my vote that is FOR immigration..any sort of immigration...I've had enough of importing criminals and grifters for taxpayers to support. In my last email to my senators I told them that Bush was singlehandedly destroying the Republican Party with his policies and they if the stood with him, I'd miss them!

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner
    That's a new wrinkle in my horns...what is the SOLVE Act??
    The SOLVE ACT is a shameful and woefully inept amnesty bill for illegal aliens. Please read:

The SOLVE Act of 2004

S. 2381-Senator Edward Kennedy (D_MA)

Read our Issue Briefs: Why Amnesty Isn't the SolutionWhy Guestworker programs Harm America

Bill Text

View Cosponsors
    Visit FAIR's Action Center to send a message about this bill.

S. 2381, the Safe, Orderly, Legal Visas and Enforcement Act of 2004 (SOLVE Act), would grant amnesty to virtually all illegal aliens, flood the market with cheaper, easily exploitable foreign labor and greatly increase legal immigration levels.

Illegal aliens who have been in the U.S. for five years who can prove they have worked for 24 months would become eligible for permanent resident status and eventual U.S. citizenship. Spouses and unmarried children of these aliens would also become eligible for adjustment of status. Illegal aliens who have been in the U.S. for less than five years would become eligible for transitional status (TS). After living in the U.S. for five years and working for 24 months, they too would become eligible for green cards, as would their spouses and unmarried children. The proposal would also allow an additional 350,000 new guestworkers into the country each year, and these guestworkers would be able to petition to bring in their families.

The bill vastly expands legal immigration by giving everyone who qualifies under this amnesty/guestworker program priority in their applications and adjudicating these applications outside the numerical limitations on visas. In addition, it changes current law by exempting ALL immediate relatives from the 480,000 ceiling on family-based immigrant visas. It also lifts the per-country ceilings on visas by allocating visas outside the per-country limits for immigrants waiting more than five years for visas.

Status: 5/4/2003 Referred to the House Judiciary Committee.

FAIR comment: AGAINST: S. 2381 is a blanket amnesty that rewards illegal aliens for violating the law and serves as an open invitation for those waiting for immigrant visas to jump the line by entering the U.S. illegally and then processing their applications here. Letting illegal aliens benefit from amnesty is not fair to those aliens who respect the immigration laws of the U.S. and wait patiently in their home countries for visas. In addition, it further promotes a growing culture of disrespect for U.S. immigration laws. This bill also greatly expands our legal immigration system, which is already unmanageable. Current immigration levels are already so high they fail to serve the national interest. S. 2381 threatens American wages and working conditions by allowing employers to bring in a limitless supply of cheaper exploitable foreign labor.
    The SOLVE Act of 2004

H.R. 4262-Representatives Luis Gutierrez (D-IL)

Read our Issue Briefs Why Amnesty Isn't the Solution

Bill Text

View Cosponsors
    Visit FAIR's Action Center to send a message about this bill.

H.R. 4262, the Safe, Orderly, Legal Visas and Enforcement Act of 2004 (SOLVE Act), would grant amnesty to virtually all illegal aliens, flood the market with cheaper, easily exploitable foreign labor and greatly increase legal immigration levels.

Illegal aliens who have been in the U.S. for five years who can prove they have worked for 24 months would become eligible for permanent resident status and eventual U.S. citizenship. Spouses and unmarried children of these aliens would also become eligible for adjustment of status. Illegal aliens who have been in the U.S. for less than five years would become eligible for transitional status (TS). After living in the U.S. for 5 year and working for 24 months, they too would become eligible for green cards, as would their spouses and unmarried children. The proposal would also allow an additional 350,000 new guestworkers into the country each year, and these guestworkers would be able to petition to bring in their families.

The bill vastly expands legal immigration by giving everyone who qualifies under this amnesty/guestworker program priority in their applications and adjudicating these applications outside the numerical limitations on visas. In addition, it changes current law by exempting ALL immediate relatives from the 480,000 ceiling on family-based immigrant visas. It also lifts the per-country ceilings on visas by allocating visas outside the per-country limits for immigrants waiting more than five years for visas.

Status: 6/28/2004 Referred to the House Judiciary Committee Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims.

FAIR comment: AGAINST: H.R. 4262 is a blanket amnesty that rewards illegal aliens for violating the law and serves as an open invitation for those waiting for immigrant visas to jump the line by entering the U.S. illegally and then processing their applications here. Letting illegal aliens benefit from amnesty is not fair to those aliens who respect the immigration laws of the U.S. and wait patiently in their home countries for visas. In addition, it further promotes a growing culture of disrespect for U.S. immigration laws. This bill also greatly expands our legal immigration system, which is already unmanageable. Current immigration levels are already so high they fail to serve the national interest. H.R. 4262 threatens American wages and working conditions by allowing employers to bring in a limitless supply of cheaper exploitable foreign labo
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

barf
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones